Railroad Forums 

• Cajon Pass feeling hot

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#272185  by pennsy

Hi,

Brush fires are something the RR's on Cajon always worry about. Story about a UP engine, brand new, that overheated in one of its engine areas, a small fire broke out. The Forestry Service pounced on it really fast and got it out. Such things are unusual, but could, in itself, start a forest fire. One thing, the CDF is FAST. Interesting to note, some, possibly many, brand new engines, have to be "debugged".
 #1339790  by bellstbarn

Any news about the railroad during today's big fire? We have luckily seen nothing of trains as cars and trucks burn on I-15 July 17, 2015.
Thanks.
 #1339859  by Gilbert B Norman

As it is noted at two "West Coast based" sites, Trainorders and Rail Forum, the railroads do not appear to be in immediate danger.

For the BNSF, I think they are breathing a bit easier on Lou Menk Drive, as had Cajon been taken out, I can't think of any way BNSF could handle traffic into the LA Basin.

The UP of course has a multitude of reroutes available over the SP.
 #1339899  by Backshophoss

As of tonite's newscast,I-15 is still closed,and still needed to have the chared hulks removed,road repaired.
The possible Detour could have been Barstow-Mojave,run around the train there and run on UP to Lancaster,
then on Metrolink(SCAX)into the LA Basin,the Palmdale Cutoff(ex-SP) could have been affected by this fire as well.