Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Registered Railfan

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#254507  by QR National

Great idea! The railroads get what they want (security, for free). Railfans wont get harrased for taking photos.

Problem: Im in Australia, but coming over to the USA to do A LOT(!!) of BNSF railfanning in 2 years time. Their website will only allow for North American home addresses.
 #254557  by bwparker1

More info from Railpace:

BNSF RAILWAY ASKS RAILFANS FOR COOPERATION TO KEEP AMERICA'S RAIL SYSTEM SAFE: BNSF Railway Company (BNSF) is recruiting rail fans to help keep BNSF properties safe by reporting suspicious activities and to help prevent possible security breaches. “Keeping America’s rail transportation network safe from crime and terrorist activity is a high priority for the railroad industry,” says William Heileman, BNSF general director, Police and Protection Solutions. “Every day across the country, rail fans photograph and watch trains as they pass through communities. It seems natural to harness their interest to help keep America’s rail system safe.” Rail fans can register for the program by going to the Citizens United for Rail Security (CRS) Web site http://newdomino.bnsf.com/website/crs.nsf/request?open. CRS participants will receive an official identification card along with access to news and information on the BNSF CRS Web site. To report suspicious activity, CRS members and the public can call (800) 832-5452. The information will be taken by a BNSF representative and routed for appropriate response. “Supporting homeland security in this manner is positive for everyone," says Carl Ice, BNSF’s executive vice president and chief operations officer. "It supports the nation's security efforts, improves safety within our company and the community, and improves operations by helping to remove the impact of criminal acts and accidents." The CRS program is an outgrowth of another BNSF grassroots program, called BNSF ON GUARD, which encourages employees to report suspicious activities, trespassers or individuals to BNSF’s Resource Operations Call Center (ROCC). The BNSF ON GUARD program, which started in 2003, has been successful, with more than 200 employees reporting suspicious activities since its inception. Employees have reported theft, vandalism, arson, attempted suicide, and other criminal violations, threats to safety, or unusual events on or near railway properties. “Security is everyone’s business. Because of heightened security status, Americans are being asked to be the ‘eyes and ears’ for law enforcement," says John Clark, BNSF assistant vice president, Resource Protection Solutions Team. "At BNSF, our police team continues to educate employees on work, personal and home security, as well as working to change employee behavior to increase awareness of security risks." A subsidiary of Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation (NYSE:BNI), BNSF Railway Company operates one of the largest railroad networks in North America, with about 32,000 route miles in 28 states and two Canadian provinces. BNSF is among the world's top transporters of intermodal traffic, moves more grain than any other American railroad, transports the components of many of the products we depend on daily, and hauls enough low-sulphur coal to generate about ten percent of the electricity produced in the United States. BNSF is an industry leader in Web-enabling a variety of customer transactions at www.bnsf.com. (BNSF, Alex Mayes - posted 6/07/06)

#453398  by DanLW

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I figure it would be better to ask my question here rather than start a new thread...

And hopefully this question doesn't seem stupid to the initiated.

I have a question about the CRS program. In their signup page they say not to trespass on railroad right-of-ways. My question is what defines a right-of-way? I mean, is it just the tracks and ballast? Does it extend for a certain number of feet from the nearest track centerline? Does it include the dirt road beside the tracks? There aren't any signs or anything saying where public property ends and where railway property begins. And my searching has turned up no real definitions.

In my area there is a BNSF track that has very wide clearance on both sides. On one side is a dirt road, and probably 50 feet or so from the tracks is where the backyard fences are. On the other side it's probably a good 100 feet or so to the road.

It's a great place to walk the dog away from the main road and maybe get to see a train go by.

#455104  by Peace_Maker

We call the dirt roads beside the track the "right of way", I have no clue if this is correct or not. In some areas BNSF does own these roads, in others they dont have roads. Never foul a track or go anywhere a sign says no trespassing. I dont believe there is a set distance to railroad property extends it probably is more in some places and maybe less in others. I would ask an official in your area (roadmaster) if where you want to go is railroad property.

In general from what I have seen if there is no fence between the dirt road and the tracks and the road runs very close to the tracks the RR owns it. If there is a fence between the road and the tracks it is a public or private road. All this is unofficial though and I dont know if there is a set standard.

One reason not to block or occupy the rr's dirt roads is you can keep maintainers and track guys from getting to where they need to go.
 #859155  by gprimr1

I know how you feel, especially in the Cajon pass area. There are so many forest roads and maintainers routes, I've had to write to the national park service for clarification.