Railroad Forums 

• Forum Inactivity

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#241218  by BlockLine_4111

Seems very little activity in this forum. What can we do to get more participation? I keep responding to my own posts and it gets boring.

It's a different world on the east coast with all the activity in those forums.
Let's not make the west fall to the typical stereotypes of being too slow.

:wink:

#241224  by LCJ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#241263  by BlockLine_4111

LCJ wrote:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Beg to differ?
 #241324  by Komachi

(Cue "grainy film FX," as was common with low-budget, student and school safety/hygene films... also cue projector sound effect.)

BlockLine_4111,

(You turn around and see a silhouette of a figure backlit by the sun. As the figure approaches you note that he is dressed similar to Clint Eastwood in "A Few Dollars More." He lifts his head, slowly revealing his face from under his large hat. Piercing "ice blue" eyes meet yours. His serape flaps in the sudden breeze to reveal not 6-shooters, but samurai swords. You have heard of this man's name before, the one they call "Komachi," something akin to law and order in these parts... a "moderator" as he is known among the "locals." He speaks to you in a language that many do not understand, yet, oddly enough, he also happens to speak in "subtitles," which are almost universally understood.)

<<It's comes and goes in fits and starts, depending on the topic.>>

<<You commented...>>

"It's a different world on the east coast with all the activity in those forums."

<<That's because the majority of the members of this site are residents of the East Coast states. While, this particular forum has the benefit of following a railroad corporation that is not only a "Western" entity, but a "Midwestern" entity as well. Mind you, while we may have a large geographic area to work with, it's a very sparcely populated area (relatively speaking) as opposed to the "east," and as such we are at the whim of "traffic" ebbs and flows.>>

<<Got any suggestions for other topics, besides discussion of the pros and cons of the asthetics of the "Heritage III paint scheme, or the rumored merger of BNSF with NS (or even KCS)?>>

(Something inside the saloon suddenly attracts his attention and he heads inside. There's a Vaudvilian-type production being presented on the stage. A tall dark haired, bespectacled man is telling a tale to the assmbled crowd... something about a lake called "Woebegone," or something to that effect.)

#241563  by BlockLine_4111

Perhaps I am the lone soul here out on the Front Range Sub, heh?

I thought we would have a ton of posters posting info on the Denver - Cheyenne corridor(s)?

Guess I was wrong perhaps.

#241735  by LCJ

Sometimes reality bites.

#241852  by BlockLine_4111

LCJ wrote:Sometimes reality bites.
And your point being?
 #241869  by Komachi

(The stranger slowly turns turns his attention from the performance to the conversation at hand... He walks between the two figures on the dusty street. He then pulls his serape aside and places a hand upon the hilt of his katana.)

<<Remember, gentlemen, that this is a "flame free zone," and that I'll thank you to keep this discussion civil.

Although, BL, I think what LCJ is hinting at, is that while we are fans of the BNSF system, each of us has our niche interests in it. Some are fans of the "Transcon," some the "Race Track (or is that one word?)," and so on (mine happens to be the stretch along the Mississippi River between the Twin Cities and LaCrosse, WI). Unfortunately, there seems to be a small interest in that "corridor" between Cheyenne and Denver and while that may be so, do not let it discourage you from posting reports on it as there are people who have an interest in it and read it but don't care to post feedback about it.

Also, as I pointed out before, we "Westerners" and "Midwesterners" constitute the minority of the discussion boards and therefore are subject to the ebb and flow of activity and inactivity.

So, that is the reality and it does, indeed, bite, but don't let it get to you. Keep posting and maybe in the future someone will respond to your reports/comments.>>

GANBATE, NE!!!!!!*

* The Japanese have an idea of perseverance and "stick-to-it-ness" that they call "ganbaru." The phrase "Ganbate, ne!" has many meanings derived from this idea, however, I believe in this case, the best translation to English for it is, "Don't give up!"

#241891  by LCJ

I believe it was Albert Einstein who said, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
 #241912  by Komachi

(The Moderator removes his hand from the hilt of his sword and digs in his left sleve. He produces a rather large, cast-iron lock, upon which is inscribed the stylized Burlington Northern "BN." He puts his finger through the latch mechenism and begins to twirl it on his right, index finger, much like a gunslinger twirling an 1873 Colt "Peacemaker.")

#241914  by LCJ

No disrespect intended. :(

Personally, I was disappointed when BN left "Frisco" out of the corporate name, only to take up with that hussy ATSF.

I have nothing else to contribute here, so I'll just meander away...
 #241923  by Komachi

LCJ,

No real offense taken, but it was starting to look like there might be a confrontation about to erupt here. Your comment of "ZZZZZZZZZZZ," I believe was intended as an agreement that the forum has been devoid of life as of late. Your comment of "sometimes reality bites" could be seen as commenting that what we sometimes preceive as being reality and what actually constitutes reality is often two different things, indicating that BlockLine was incorrect about his assumption on the number of those who "'fan" the western portion of the BNSF system.

However, your quoting of Einstein kinda crossed the line of humor and harrassment. That's why I threatened locking the thread.

You're welcome to stay and contribute, as long as you keep it civil and, um... bland (at least for the time being).

Don't get me wrong, I have a great sense of humor and I love a good joke... but when it looks like it could start a flame war, I have to intervene. Kind of my job.

#241929  by GN 599

I work there so I get my fill of BNSF five days a week. :-D Contrary to what non railroaders believe having to go to work on monday still sucks, but still not as bad as a real job :P .
 #241952  by Komachi

And being a railroader doesn't qualify as working a "real job?" One of the hardest (physically) there is out there. So, I'd say it qualifies as such.

Although, I can empathise with you on two points...

I've worked in broadcasting for twelve years as a commercial radio Dee Jay. It's a fun job that lets me exercise my creative side and one that I consider more of a "hobby" than an actual career... even though I only do it part-time.

People also give me strange looks when I tell them I tend to mostly listen to talk radio when I'm a "music" DJ. Well, after 8 hours (or however long the shift is) of listening to music (my duties are divided between two "sister" stations... Country and Classic Rock (50s, 60s & 70s))... it kind of gets old, whereas NPR (National Public Radio) and "Coast to Coast AM" and the BBC has a wide variety of topics that rarely get stale.

That's not to say I don't like music. I actually have a rather eclectic ("wide range) of music in my collection. So, after working at the country station, I sometimes like to come home and listen to some Classical or metal, dance/house/techno, J-Pop (Japanese pop music), swing/jazz/"big band" or 80's pop/rock. I just don't listen to commercial radio.

So, yeah, I'd get bored in a chat room devoted to talking about broadcasting and DJ's, etc., I can only imagine what has to be like for you guys.

#241956  by LCJ

I was actually serious about the Frisco name elimination. SL-SF was a proud, decent railroad. I recall watching their trains roar through Hoxie, Walnut Ridge, and Black Rock, AR when I was growing up and visiting relatives there. These trains were usually powered by bright red F units.

Currently the BNSF single track Thayer Sub, this line is chuck full of traffic. I was in the area a while back and saw a unit coal train pass through with a single DPU on the rear.