Railroad Forums 

• CASPER, WYOMING

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#211857  by tenbaker

I've heard thru the grapevine that the BNSF is "crying" for conductors in the Wyoming, Nebraska area. Does anyone know what its like in Casper, such as: cost of living, weather conditions, working conditions, busy RR traffic etc. Any comments would be great, thanks in advance.
 #212160  by TB Diamond

Casper is the largest city in the state of Wyoming. Been since 2002 since I heard much about the place, but did know some men who worked for the BNSF there. Think they had one or two switch jobs, a Casper-Cheyenne pool, a Casper-Guernsey pool and a Casper-Greybull pool. Mostly general freight and grain trains. Last I heard there was going to be a pool that ran Glenrock over to Orin Jct. and up the Orin Line in coal service. Cost of living is about what it would be in any large city, but the state of Wyoming does not have income tax. Weather is normal for a high plains/mountain area: low humidity, much wind summer and winter, temperature in winter down to -25 and in summer to +100. Lots of sunshine and little rain. Deep snow mostly in the fall and early winter and in the spring. Good air service and I-25 runs through the middle of town. I lived in Wyoming for 14.5 years and used to shop in Casper. Many great restaurants and even a Sam's Club! Good luck.

#218013  by tenbaker

Thanks for the info TB.
 #218830  by TB Diamond

tenbaker: You are welcome. Other terminals that may be hiring from time to time in Wyoming are Sheridan and Gillette. You could hire on in one terminal and then transfer via bid to other terminals within the seniority district.

#226179  by YQT

They are usually listed in the TSS, as mercenary work.

I've been looking latley, cause I've been thinking on going for the cash.

Nothing to report on yet.

#281321  by route_rock

Casper I think was the place that had bids for LETP classes and guys just getting out of conductor school were getting the bids! We have a guy from Galesburg hes been out in the PWR since last year around October I think. Must be making big bucks to stay out there.

#281710  by GN 599

Out here in the Pacific 5th they are looking for merconary's (I dont think thats how you spell it). 500 bucks a week guarinteed plus 40 bucks a day if you want to work in Klamath Falls OR.