Railroad Forums 

• BNSF might be taking over KCS is this true

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#169364  by bufnick

been hearing rumors just wondering if this is true heard it was suppose to be final at the first of the year
Last edited by bufnick on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

#169415  by AmtrakFan

May I ask where did you get this info?

#169425  by Amtrak31

I would hope this is not true. I like KCS a lot. Where'd you here this at?

#169462  by GN 599

I work for BNSF and havent heard that one.

#169475  by themallard

From Kansas City Souther Railway web-site http://www.kcsi.com/
Our vision is to be a strong, independent transportation company that consistently delivers exceptional service to our customers, challenging careers to our employees and increasing value to our shareholders.
and
http://www.kcsi.com/corporate/kcsr_h.html
In the mid-1990s, major rail mergers were underway in the western part of the U.S., allowing two major rail carriers to control approximately 90 percent of rail traffic west of the Mississippi River. At the time, KCSR was a smaller, regional railroad whose very existence was threatened by these consolidations. The holding company, Kansas City Southern Industries, Inc. (now Kansas City Southern) either had to ready itself for sale or grow to survive. It chose to pursue a strategy to invest in Mexico, almost a century after Stilwell's vision.

Today, KCSR has been brought under common control with The Texas Mexican Railway Company and TFM, S.A. de C.V. to form a rail network with primary lanes stretching from Kansas City, Missouri to Lazaro Cardenas to Veracruz, Mexico and from Dallas, Texas to Meridian, Mississippi.

#169667  by doepack

The July 2005 issue of Trains magazine touches on this merger possibility, among others. It raises some pretty interesting points, and I'd suggest this as required reading for those wishing to gain additional insight.

One thing to remember though, is that any future mergers are now subject to the revised rules of the Surface Transportation Board, essentially meaning that potential partners will have additional and more stringent requirements to meet before the STB even hears the case.
 #169968  by EJ&ESDM809

I seriously doubt BNSF is taking over KCS. I did read the article in TRAINS magazine about the merger possibilties and found some of the combinations to be pretty interesting. I've heard a lot about BNSF and NS merging as well, but I also doubt that one at this point.

#170043  by Amtrak31

Hope BNSF doesn't become CN. :P I would definately not want to see NS go.

#171811  by bnsfhoghead

All i can say is Rubbish. Someone is spending to many hours at the rumor mill. KCS is more sound then it ever was over its entire history. I hear a lot of these rumors to as they interchange with us in Houston's BNSF new south yard, Beaumont and Corpus Chrisiti, TX, AKA TexMex..There are no plans to merge the KCS into the BNSF. They have trackage rights from Robstown, TX on the UP Angelton/Brownsville sub all the way to Beaumont on the UP Lafeyette sub were they get back on there own road at. I can not see us making anything off of a KCS merger as they go to every place we are already, and have been at. Mater of fact they are the number 2 most loved railroad, behind Union Pacific.

#174428  by badneighbor

i doubt there would be a merger now. i hope not, too many lost flags.