Railroad Forums 

• Transcon or Race Track? Which do you like the best?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#168754  by Amtrak31

I am right with your dad about loving SP and the Milwaukee Road. :-)
 #174357  by EJ&ESDM809

I think both lines are very busy. The racetrack seems busier due to Metra and Amtrak, the transcon is pure freight, although I have seen Amtrak twice on the Transcon which is very unusual. The transcon has a lot of quiet farming communities like Ransom between Joliet and Streator. The Transcon also has 4 UP trains and 4 NS trains. The transon can get power from a lot of other sources as well. The racetrack keeps getting more techology and BNSF doesn't really care about history anymore with the new signals, engines, and crossovers, and even in the case of Western Springs, new stations. Overall I like the transcon better due to no Metra.

#174906  by Joe

Well, technically the Transcon does...well, exactly what it's called...trans the con. So it's a 2000+ mile route vs. a 38 mile route.

But anyway, BNSF is constantly updating equipment/technology on both lines. The transcon has to get new signals every now and then, and it just happens to be the CB&Q signal bridges' time to go. They're nice (and the new ones are just plain huge and ugly), but they're old.
And GEVOs are just on the Racetrack, you guys get them over there too, just not always on their first westward trips.
The new station at Western Springs doesn't really have anything to do with BNSF, except that they run the Metra trains. It's not helping any freight trains out.

I'll take the Racetrack anyday (even Wednesdays!).
If only the BN E9s were still running, now THAT would take the cake.
 #174983  by EJ&ESDM809

I do agree with the fact the old signals are getting old. The new ones are definatly huge and ugly, plus inconsistant and unreliable. The new Eastbound signals in La Grange go directly to yellow on all 3 tracks and stay that way, but then the westbound signals on the same signal bridge are green on all 3 tracks. I'd like it if the E9s were still running. Last time on the transcon, me and Nick saw 2 freights, one a BNSF Dash 9 and the other one a BN SD40-2 literally race each other through Joliet. The Dash 9 was light power so it got through first.

#174989  by Amtrak31

Seeing them race was awesome! The BN slowly rounded the corner passing the light load, then the light load put the hammer down to race the BN to the switch up ahead. Robby, very nice shot on RP! :-)

#175909  by freshmeat

Racetrack? Are you kidding me. Winslow to Belen (271 miles) in 10 to 12 hours is a racetrack. Or averaging 30 miles an hour to Needles. Where is this coming from. Yeah form Gonzalez to Belen is mostly 70 MPH but when traffic is so heavy or dispatching so fouled up you only average 30 MPH, doesn't seem like much of a racetrack to me. Perhaps Parking Lot would be closer.

#178595  by Tadman

How bout this:
For a modest amount, you can ride the chief to KC, getting a ride on the racetrack, plus dinner in the diner while crossing the mississippi, and your average 90mph rocket ride down the transcon afterward. Then, fly back to CHicago the next morning on Southwest for cheap, and ride the el back downtown on one of CTA's best routes - 55mph running and trainwatching views to write home about.

If you're really smart, you live somewhere in the burbs and get a Metra ride for the final leg. I don't so I ride the turd (brown line) home.

#178605  by freshmeat

Ahh, mass transit. If only they would have invested in routes like Europe has. Too bad the govt. and the freight companies have abandoned rail as a method to move people and save fuel. Oh wait, the govt. isn't in the energy business . . . or is it?

#180098  by route_rock

ok here it is from my point of view. Racetrack Three tracks I can get divereged to to pass a slow coal or manifest on my way in or out good for me. Dealing witha whiny lacrosse crew off the Aurora sub Bad. Having a set of mtys blow a ladys skirt up while blowing by the metra stations, good for me and the engineer. About sucking a guy under the train cause he must be color blind and has no clue why they paint the yellow line there, bad. Transcon runs 70 mph and mostly High green good for me, Having to duct tape your soda and chips to the dash cause the track is so bad that it feels like your on a boat bad, NSI KCK bad,UD tower" hey UD we have the lineup????( 15th time calling him almost stopped coming around the curve seeing no trains crossing or waitng and looking over at a UP guy shaking his head like yeah me too, only to get the signal after a full stop) bad. Getting shot at by hoodlums REAL BAD.
After this week I bet you have a lot of still shots on the ole SF Josh. We put the galbrc togther sunday morning pulled it out and had it set to go south out of Galesburg and around to Cameron. Well after we did that and the hostlers tied on Chilli said nope no more trains either direction. So the crew had to back back around and out the Mendota sub to the Racetrack side. This went on Monday as well Not sure about the rest of the week cause i was on the hump and who cares whats going on in the yard then!
So whats the deal? No one seems to know why we are not getting them down the transcon in either direction. I figured some of you guys might know cause you watch us more than the trainmasters ( and in some opinions you know the job better to :wink: )

#182449  by route_rock

Well folks get to go survey the better route tonight!! Had a GALCSX for the chilli side, that went away. Then had a Coal train, ehhhh aint happening! Now am lined for a Vehicle train ( no idea which side we will run) but who knows. My buddy is lined for a V train that is still in kansas and is 194 hours late! Yes I said one hundred ninety four hours late. So look around tomorrow Josh you might see me blow on by :-D HEading for G town!
Will report back the events of the trip.