Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Sub signal replacement

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#148597  by MetraBNSF

Recently, new tri-color signals went into operation at Cicero "A" interlocking. In addition, new foundations have been built and wire cutting is now in progress near LaGrange and Western Springs to replace old CB&Q intermediate signals. And, an interlocking east of Lisle is in the process of being removed. So many changes happening along the Chicago Sub these days, new signals/interlockings, new BNSF paint scheme, and new cars for the suburban service.

#148889  by Joe

Yeah, kinda sad that they are replacing all the CB&Q stuff around here. The signals are coming out all along the line, but I will be sure to get 1 (or 2...or 3.. :-D ) signal heads from the bridges they take down here in Downers Grove to remember them by. They interlocking in east Lisle is gone, too.

Almost all the Metras have 8400s or 8500s on the rear now. Saw only 1 train with a CB&Q cab today. :(

#153850  by doepack

Is BNSF planning to remove the crossovers just E of LaGrange Rd? Rode through there today on Metra, and it looked as if those switches hadn't been used in awhile, so I'm assuming that they've been replaced by the new crossovers at Maple Ave interlocking, just W of the Brookfield station. Can anybody confirm this?

#157061  by MetraBNSF

The switch heaters were removed and some of the crossover rails were taken out. The three signals towers that governed that interlocking was replaced by a single intermediate signal tower just east of LaGrange Rd. I'm pretty certain those crossovers will be removed completely.

#163101  by Engineer Spike

I have heard about the new high speed crossovers in Lisle. Is this in place of old Lisle west? Besides the new signals, are other control points being changed ? I have been gone since 2000. Please tell us about the changes.
 #166700  by EJ&ESDM809

I think the La Grange crossovers will be removed. BNSF has been using the new crossovers a lot. I went to Brookfield and saw a freight and 2 Metra use the new crossovers. All the CB&Q signal bridges, which have had the signals gone for a while west of La Grange Road have been completely torn down with the exception of the one at Congress Park Station.

#166749  by MetraBNSF

Engineer Spike wrote:I have heard about the new high speed crossovers in Lisle. Is this in place of old Lisle west? Besides the new signals, are other control points being changed ? I have been gone since 2000. Please tell us about the changes.
I think the (West) Lisle crossovers have been there for a few years. They are good for 50 mph. Several times in the morning while aboard Metra trains, they'll switch from main 3 to main 2 between 40-45 mph. The crossovers in East Lisle have been removed completely, hence the West Lisle crossovers are simply called Lisle. There's also been some work going on at the Downers Grove interlocking and possibly at the Fairview interlocking as well. Mostly track work.

#166959  by Joe

They've been doing a lot of switch work in Downers Grove. I think they've actually replaced a few of the switches - onboard Metra you can see track sections laying at the Downers Grove yard. Also, there's a switch section laying right near Fairview Ave.
Today, my friend says a BNSF MOW employee was taking pictures of the westbound signal at Downers...maybe they've finally reached here? :(
 #167666  by Amtrak31

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:I think the La Grange crossovers will be removed. BNSF has been using the new crossovers a lot. I went to Brookfield and saw a freight and 2 Metra use the new crossovers. All the CB&Q signal bridges, which have had the signals gone for a while west of La Grange Road have been completely torn down with the exception of the one at Congress Park Station.
Stone Avenue's CB&Q signal bridge is either gone or very close to gone. :(

Joe - Nah, I think it'd take them longer to get to Downers. :-)
 #174355  by EJ&ESDM809

I was in the Brookfield/La Grange area and the Stone Avenue signal CB&Q bridge was still operating. I'd still get over there as soon as you can because it was night and I couldn't tell the progress BNSF is making on building the new signals. I have seen a lot of trains use the new crossovers in Brookfield recently and they are good for 55 MPH. I got to see a BNSF Stack Train go 50 over them a week ago.

#246060  by MetraBNSF

Signals are up but not yet operating in Western Springs and LaGrange.

Looks like some work will be done at the Downers Grove interlocking. There's quite a bit of MOW equipment and track sections at that location.

#246750  by EJ&ESDM809

I was looking on railpictures and noticed a photo at Hinsdale. The new signals were operating and the old bridge had its signals taken off. That new signal bridge at Stone Avenue is UGLY. Hopefully the new signals don't reach Downers Grove for a while. There are a lot of CB&Q signal bridges there.

#251422  by MetraBNSF

New signals at LaGrange Stone Ave and Western Springs are now online.

#253996  by Engineer Spike

Explain what they put in at La Grange and Brookfield. Did they put in new controlled plants there, or redo the Congress Park plant?