Railroad Forums 

• Train Symbol: HBRCDIL

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1217837  by mtuandrew

Welcome!

I can't remember the H, but if I interpret it correctly, BRC means it comes off the Belt Railway of Chicago, and DIL stands for a destination of Dilworth, MN (next to Fargo, ND.) Are these covered hopper cars? It would make sense for them to be empties going up to the agricultural region of the Red River of the North.

EDIT: yup, I guessed right. http://www.blet75.org/palm/Train%20Defi ... ymbols.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a list of train symbols - also, the H stands for high-priority general merchandise, the next tier of priority below Z (intermodal) trains. Probably not empties then :)
 #1217943  by Rockingham Racer

On the BNSF, trains with a Q would be the next hottest ones after the Zs, followed by the H manifests. I don't believe that any Q trains run up your way on the Northern Transcon, though.
 #1217979  by mtuandrew

Rockingham Racer wrote:On the BNSF, trains with a Q would be the next hottest ones after the Zs, followed by the H manifests. I don't believe that any Q trains run up your way on the Northern Transcon, though.
I think there are Q trains to St. Paul, but not beyond. There was a good Trains article in the next few months about where the Z and Q trains go, so I will have to take a look at it.