Railroad Forums 

• Track ownership through Tower 55 (Fort Worth, TX)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1551589  by WhartonAndNorthern

Originally, there were two east-west tracks (T&P, later MoPac, and now UP), and three north-south tracks (SP, ATSF, and MKT) coming in to Tower 55 with T&P having "control" as first RR. At some point, the north-south part was downgraded to two lines with I guess the SP trackage disappearing (maybe following the UP merger?).

A third track was added back recently due to congestion. How is the ownership of the three tracks divided now?
 #1555024  by John_Perkowski

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:15 pm Tower was SP now turned into a CP by the "borg" UP. BNSF is at UP DS mercy no matter what. :grimacing:
Lest we forget, Mr. Buffett’s Railroad consists of:

Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Northern Pacific
Great Northern
Seattle, Portland and Spokane
Frisco
Plus bits and pieces of other roads here and there

Mr. Buffett’s Raiload isn’t exactly not a Borg, either.
 #1555485  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:14 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:15 pm Tower was SP now turned into a CP by the "borg" UP. BNSF is at UP DS mercy no matter what. :grimacing:
Lest we forget, Mr. Buffett’s Railroad consists of:

Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Northern Pacific
Great Northern
Seattle, Portland and Spokane
Frisco
Plus bits and pieces of other roads here and there

Mr. Buffett’s Raiload isn’t exactly not a Borg, either.
Nah, no comparison. BN was a matter of combining companies with shared/common ownership, followed by absorbing Frisco; BNSF was a consensual merger of equals resulting in an identity that reflects both railroads.

UP grew by acquiring weaker competitors and eradicating their identies.

Track 55 was a great place to camp out and watch trains before 9/11... If there was ever a place where a flyover was justified, that has to be it, but I don't think there's room with the I-35/I-30 interchange...
 #1555541  by eolesen

We used to volunteer at a homeless shelter within view of the Tower... Most of them are fairly harmless compared to the drug gangs elsewhere in the Metromess.