Railroad Forums 

• MMA operating status Brownville - Millinocket

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#959763  by ShortlinesUSA

This subject has been mentioned or alluded to in several threads, but I can't find a spot where it's been definitively answered. Due to the shut down of both paper mills in Millinocket, and with the Northern Maine Railway operating from Millinocket north to Madawaska, is there now any MMA activity between Brownville and Millinocket? I have not been up there enough to know for certain what customers there are, but there just didn't seem to be much outside of the mill at E. Millinocket that MMA was handling traffic for.

Also, to clarify for certain, Job 1/2 now go no further than Brownville Jct?

Appreciate any insights on the change in traffic.
 #959965  by mwhite

This past Friday, I watched a SB MMA train by Schoodic (MP 82.5). I Don't know where it went, but typically they go to Brownville Junction. For power it had a B23-7 and a B39-8 with a remote sandwiched between. IIRC it was trailing 35 cars.
 #967918  by carchecker

Was returning from climbing Mt Katahdin with my son yesterday and noticed a train up in the yard when we travelled through Milinocket. I decided to turn around and have a look since I had never been there (the Millinocket yard) before. It was an MMA train and if I understood the engineer correctly he said he ran out of Brownville. Can someone kindly explain how things work around there as far as who runs where? Does Maine Northern run into Millinocket from the north and MMA takes it to Brownville or am I way off base? It was a great conversation with the engineer as I found out I knew his brother when he was an engineer back inthe 80s with CP when he
ran into McAdam from Brownville and I worked in the yard office as a tmc.