Railroad Forums 

• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1018202  by carchecker

Heard from a very reliable source tonight that NB Southern will be leasing two more six axle units to help with the traffic on the mainline. The new NBSR schedule has the daily eastbound and westbound trains meeting in McAdam and when the south freight arrives at about the same time, it brings back fond memories of the good old days. Right now they are using pan am 380 and 381 on the mainline trains. The eastbound had another 15 or so FBOX amd YKR boxes for the Woodland mill. There are about 25 in McAdam now and about 6 or 7 loads came in from Woodland tonight. Hopefully this business continues!
 #1019713  by bsweep

What is the new daily schedule? What times are the EB/WB in McAdam? I live near Mattawamkeag and have been hearing rumors this was going to happen, but have been out of town for a few weeks on work and haven't been up there lately. Does anybody know if WASJ and SJWA are daily now as well? I have been curious if the NBSR was going to split that so every other day would be a Pan AM train and the other would go to Brownville for MMA and Maine Northern traffic and highball Keag... A month or so ago the train length was getting quite long - 80 cars was very normal. Is this down now that it is a daily operation?
 #1019895  by carchecker

roberttosh wrote:I hear the mill at Woodland is looking to export its Pulp through the port of NY/NJ now. That could be bad news for Eastport, but good news for railfans...
Happen to run into the engineer off of the south freight tonight at the local supermarket in McAdam and he confirmed this. He said the pulp coming out of Woodland in the boxes is already going to NJ for export. Perhaps they are just doing a trial run but this could be real trouble for the port of Eastport if they want to move most or even all of it this way. I know Nackawic AV transloads boxes in McAdam and also ships them to NJ to be exported instead of all their product going to Halifax.
 #1032003  by MEC407

Wow! I wasn't aware of that either. I thought most of them were out west on the Iowa Northern and the San Luis & Rio Grande.

Has the one in that photo been in Maine all this time (in storage at MMA perhaps?) or was it shipped back to Maine recently from somewhere else?
 #1032075  by MEC407

Thanks CN!
 #1032387  by carchecker

NB Southern should take delivery of two more SD40-2 engines as early as this weekend from Helm. HLCX 6315 and HLCX 8144 were to arrive in Moncton Thursday night. The inceased traffic on their mainline is the need for more power. There seems to be a big increase in the number of tank cars going both ways.
 #1032431  by roberttosh

I've also noticed a BIG increase in tankcars (not slurry cars) heading up to Portland and beyond on Pam Am lately, sometimes slugs of 10-15 cars at a time. I know that the CN has for a long time handled thousands of cars a year of Butane or something similar into or out of Irving Oil at Saint John, so perhaps Pan Am has grabbed some of this business with their new and improved service to and from the Maritimes?