Railroad Forums 

• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1358314  by gokeefe

CN9634 wrote:Also hearing of more freight using the Moosehead Gateway
I more more than a little surprised that the Moosehead Gateway apparently continues to be viable and is possibly headed for a renaissance.
 #1362418  by fromway

Talked this morning with the crew working the Houlton branch(2 units, 4 covered hoppers, 10 length cut timber cars and 2 tankers). They are also storing tank cars on the Sherman siding. Maybe for Butane use, but not really sure what the purpose is other than just storing them.
 #1362425  by Cowford

NB Southern is storing lpg tanks everywhere so they can keep them in their service when needed.
With respect, that doesn't quite make sense as stated, as such cars are not in [NBSR's] service, per se. They are controlled by shippers or, if off lease, by leasing companies. Are you sure they're pressure cars and not surplus crude cars being stored? LPG cars typically don't sit in the winter... then again, the propane guys are likely taking it on the chin with the warm weather.
 #1362480  by carchecker

I certainly could be wrong but I was told if they let them go they wouldn't be able to get them back when the propane season was in full swing. Most of them have left McAdam Yard now to go back to Saint John, I assume to be loaded. They are definitely lpg, placarded 1075.
 #1362546  by Cowford

I was told if they let them go they wouldn't be able to get them back
I guess the question is: Who are "they"? The railroad can't arbitrarily hold shipper-controlled cars, but can offer to store such cars, loaded or empty, for a fee. Other companies can't appropriate them, either. It sounds like they are just being staged at shipper request, then.
 #1362875  by fromway

I talked today with a NBS employee and he said that the MT tankers in Oakfield were moved out yesterday. He said they went SOUTH. Whatever that means. He said that they were part of 800 that the NBS(Irving) had bought. I hadn't heard of any purchase so I don't know how reliable the statement was.
 #1362907  by carchecker

There is a long string of LPG tanks on the NB Southern eastbound in McAdam Yard at 2315 AST. They have a lot of snow on them so I'm guessing they are the tanks from Oakfield heading to Saint John to be loaded. In the past couple of weeks tracks 30, 31, and 32 in McAdam have all been cleared out of their empty tanks also.