• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

Before the July, 2013 they were running daily each way, or close to it anyway.

Things are slower now, both Autos and oil, which were a huge chunk of the business E/W are both on CN now. Pan Am is to slow for both moves, and also limited clearance wise for autos. Lots of other stuff is running PAR, like finished lumber from all over MNR, and the feed cars and the hazzards CMQ can't handle because of Megantic.

County traffic is largely whats sustaining Irving right now. Probably half the traffic is Irving traffic. Chips, logs, feed/seed, lumber all Irving sourced or Irving destined. With the addition of the MNR, Irving's railways became as much a part of the production line as a common carrier. Its good for business though, and a real savior over the last 14 months. Wood loads aren't exaggerated. Easily 1/2 of the traffic out of the county is chips or logs. 50-60 cars of wood on the trains I've seen recently.

They just aren't afraid to move big trains, which with the drop in interchange traffic has allowed them to work an every other day schedule. With an occasional extra to fill in. Its not uncommon to see 100 on any east/west job. Compared to other Maine railroads these things are huge.

Things will change as CMQ gets established. If they can get the autos back that will help. And of course the anticipated 2016 return of cbr. Crude was a huge part of the manifests, and was moving in dedicated trains too. That was an impressive show, when MM&A and Pan Am were delivering oil trains with some regularity. I was at Keag one day back in the fall of 2012. They came in with a big train, 70 something cars from Brownville. Pan Am had dropped close to 50 mixed Saint John's the night before. They just tacked 'em on and hauled all 130 or so east. PAR and MM&A limited their E/W to 70ish cars. NBSR will haul some damn big trains as long as they have the hp/ton ratio they need. Its a good railroad, efficient, well maintained, fun to watch. Just in a bit of a lull right now.
  by oibu

Yeah, I just didn't realize hw much things were hurting right now- I thought most of the traffic that would normally run on the Moosehead was just coming in at Brownville or Keag, and that otherwise it was close to "business as usual"- didn't realize so much was moving via CN. HOpefully as CMQ get their feet under themselves things will return to normalish levels. I was hoping to come up this fall and work some of the NBSR shots I haven't gotten yet, but with only a train in one direction or the otehr each day that might be a lot of effort for little payoff- like I said, I had realized traffic levels on the Keag sub had dropped so much.

Any idea what goes on on the old Ashland branch or FK-Madawaska-VB etc.?
  by riffian

Not sure about operations on the Fort Kent-Oakfield "main", but there is a local that works weekdays out of Squa Pan. It works the Irving mill north of Ashland, the Fraser mill at Masardis and the Easton and Caribou branches. Big customer is the reopened Irving mill which ships a ton of chips and logs south. The Fraser mill ships finished lumber. The station/office at Squa Pan is easy to find since its about the only building in "town". The local takes cooking oil to the McCain French fry plant in Easton and takes out finished veneer from the Huber plant at the same location. Just north of Easton is the Irving fertilizer plant which takes inbound loads. The big customer on the Caribou side is the propane dealer, but track is in such bad shape that the local barely makes walking speed between there and Presque Isle.

Operations are as needed on the branches, but Caribou operations are probably no more than a couple of times a month. Local roads do not closely follow the Tracks in the area and I've been told that when the crew runs out of time on the branch they will leave the engine, cab back to Squa Pan, then start the next day where they left off.
  by oibu

Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the most of the "physical characteristics" and have chased all of those lines in BAR/MMA days, but with all the constant changes its hard to keep up operationally nowadays. Presumably if there's a 5 day/wk local based in Squa Pan there must be something on the order of at least 5x/wk trains north and south between FK or Madawaska and Oakfield...or maybe up one day, back the next based on what Ksmitty said about only every-other-day to Oakfield?

How are things lately power-wise? It seemed earlier this year that one was lucky to even get a painted unit in the consist (at least on the "mainline" trains), never mind leading- mostly it was just leased units in the photos I was seeing. Lately, perhaps with traffic down or maybe because so much of the power is rather blah, I haven't even really seen any NBSR pictures posted online. ANy changes or improvement on the power front besides the change in ownership on the SD40s?
  by KSmitty

No new repaints. The SD's usually are running in 3's, so with only 3 painted your odds are slim. Last time I was up we had 2 greens leading a ratty former CR 6332. But its all luck of the draw. I personally like the mix match, but I guess its all personal taste.

The SD's only go as far as Oakfield or Squa Pan. The GP38s rule the roost up north. Those cycle in and out of the county. Seems to be as they come up for 92 day inspections. The south job also is all 38's. You have better chances on green dips with those. The former UP units in the 900's seem to be on the woodland job. The GMTX and Irving units roam, everywhere from Van Buren to East Saint John. But nothing is set...
  by KSmitty

This is Derek's video from a couple weeks ago. We both were on this chase. You can get an idea for what MNR is all about in watching it, the whole train roll by is at W. Seboois, the last 4-5 minutes of the video. Lots of wood/chips/lumber and, some slurry, LP, etc...Standard set of 3 SD's up front. I'm not sure where, but they must be refueling units in Northern Maine. The SD's they were/are still(?) roundtripping on a tank from SJ to Oakfield and back. But the GP's aren't on every trip so there is no way they are fueling solely at SJ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQICe1h1u8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by oibu

Neat video- looks about like I would anticipate in terms of power and consist, just wish they ran more frequently! Is there any regaulr pattern to days the run each direction?- i.e., do they normally go west out of St JOhn Monday and then alternate days back and forth from there? And on the radio, do you know if they're using the NBSR freqs on MNR as well or do they switch to a former MMA/BAR channel? Thanks.
  by oibu

Also should have asked, if anyone knows when a good bet is to catch transfers on the bridge in St. JOhn, and if there are multiple moves over the course of the day or just one job over and back that does it all?
  by KSmitty

MNR is dispatched under contract by CMQ RTC Northern Maine. Upon entering the new Brownville cutoff, EMRY/NBSR RTC Saint John takes over.

As for scheduling, and moves in SJ, I'd again reccomend you to the RailsNB facebook group. You can find it here.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RailsNB/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They rarely miss a train on the McAdam Sub, and will be able to answer your questions about SJ transfers. That is a fantastci group for anyone interested in Maritime railroading!
  by bruceclouette

I have seen photos of engines lettered for Maine Northern, but has any rolling stock (pulpwood racks, woodchip cars, etc.) been lettered with MNRY reporting marks? If so, are there photos online? Thanks.
  by Watchman318

Noticed this yesterday in a newspaper article about industry (or lack of) up in The County. It was the only mention of rail other than that a guy on a 99-mile commute to his new job at the ReEnergy plant crosses the EMRY track during the trip. It might foretell some new traffic:
"He looked at three or four different locations," said Pelletier. "Ashland turned out to be ideal. It has good rail access and he could draw from a good workforce."
The quote is from the forest products advisor for the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD), in reference to Ecoshel Cedar Shingle, a new high-tech operation which opened last year in the former Levesque mill complex.
Read more here: <http://freepressonline.com/main.asp?Sea ... ID=468&S=1>

I'm guessing it's one of the locations along Clark Siding Rd.. south of Station St., but I don't know the territory at all.
  by CN9634

Is there an Irving/NBSR thread somewhere? Not sure where the appropriate place for such a thread would be whether we could put one in this forum, start its own forum or in the Canadian forum. Anyhow.... Quite a following of folks on RailsNB for NBSR and there has been quite a few recent developments (beyond just oil). Check out some news regarding the massive port expansion going on in Saint John -- a mock up video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9tRpzFztdE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the port expansion and other things I've been hearing, JD Irving will be expanding its reach further west...I hear talk of running intermodal and autos again across Maine.
  by carchecker

I'm a member of RailsNB and have been hearing similar rumours from NB Southern people. Apparently the auto contract they are after is Ford as well as a couple of other "smaller ones".
  by CPF363

CN9634 wrote:With the port expansion and other things I've been hearing, JD Irving will be expanding its reach further west...I hear talk of running intermodal and autos again across Maine.
One wonders if the NBSR would look to acquire the CMQ after they get to an operating state that is to NBSR's liking.