• Line rationalization

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by Cowford

I've brought this up before - and I know that line rationalizations are as popular as a rainy weekend on rr.net, but thought I'd pose the issue again for the more serious industry observers:

In common with the rest of the system, the MMA line between No Me Jct and Millinocket is woefully underutilized. So is the PAR between No Me Jct and Keag. I think it's a safe assumption that you're not going to see any paper mills or other large shippers built on either line in the future. From my perspective, this screams out as an example where line rationalization could provide significant operating cost savings and service improvement.

Both lines have "essential" aspects: MILL-BJCT is MMA's outlet to the west. PAR's line provides a connection to the Maritimes and connects with the Bucksport Branch. Beyond that, there are only a few small customers on MMA (to my knowledge - logs in Brownville, wood chips in La Grange, and scrap in N Hermon). PAR has only the former mill at Old Town (not even sure if it's an active rail customer now), Lincoln (certainly not a big rail customer), and Keag (active now?). That said, two drastic options could be explored:

1) Abandon from N. Hermon to Millinocket (~70 miles) and build a (once-proposed) 15-mile connector between KEAG and E MILL. MMA would route its traffic over KEAG to BJCT. (Mileage would increase from 47m to 58m on E MILL traffic, 38m to 67m on MILL/County traffic, and 75m to 87m for Searsport-County traffic.) Relocate log guy in BNVL to BJCT, Leave scrap guy intact in N Herman, and hose the chips guy (or help him relocate to Passadumkeag). Downside: slight (arguably inconsequential) mileage increase on most moves. Upside: Net reduction of 55 route-miles. How to pay for the connector? The feds, of course! Yes, there's the little question of the shops at Derby. Shutting down Derby would go over like a lead balloon, but railroads are not charities and Maine does not need two "large" shops... I'd get into an agreement with PAR and do loco work at Waterville; car work could be done elsewhere on the system.

2) Take the opposite approach, retain the MMA line and abandon the PAR from Old Town to Lincoln. PAR would route its Maritimes traffic over BJCT. Local service could be provided as-needed from Keag to Lincoln and NOMEJCT-Old Town as needed (ideally using one of those heavy-duty straight truck hi-rail vehicles capable of hauling railcars). Mileage would increase from 58m to 90m on PAR Maritime traffic. Downside: slight (again, inconsequential) mileage increase on all PAR moves. Upside: net reduction of 32 route-miles, no customers affected, little-to-no capital cost to execute.

Option (2) is a lot less drastic (and much less expensive to execute), but when the CP line west of BJCT closes (yes, I think it is an inevitability), (1) would be much more attactive proposition.

Interested in thoughts... contrary/differing opinions are great, but please stick to the relative merits of the options.
  by ShortlinesUSA

Not sure how close to either of the lines you are, but do you know the difference in condition of each? Based on trips up there over the past several years, the MMA line seems to be in much better shape, and is good for 25 mph running for the most part, possibly a bit higher in spots (or at least was in times past). Conversely, the PAR line is a woefully slow 10 mph run. So based on that thought alone, I honestly think that the MMA route is the better of your proposed options.

That said, you'd have to look at what potential for future business there is along both routes, because while it is in worse shape, the PAR line may pass through many more existing industries, and have several potential business areas along the route, whereas the MMA route may not.

I am in agreement with your thinking-- railroading in northern Maine is getting tougher by the day, and some sort of cooperation/rationalization among the three railroads up there (EMRY, MMA, and PAR) could well be what saves freight rail service for the benefit of industry and the local economy.
  by Cowford

That said, you'd have to look at what potential for future business there is along both routes, because while it is in worse shape, the PAR line may pass through many more existing industries, and have several potential business areas along the route, whereas the MMA route may not.
Certainly a consideration. My (admitedly pessimistic)view is that there is little to no potential for these routes from the perspective of local traffic growth. In the case that there was in the future, I'd contend that a business could locate on either side of I-95, particularly given that the lines generally parallel each other only about 10 miles apart.
  by MEC407

Cowford wrote:Yes, there's the little question of the shops at Derby. Shutting down Derby would go over like a lead balloon, but railroads are not charities and Maine does not need two "large" shops... I'd get into an agreement with PAR and do loco work at Waterville; car work could be done elsewhere on the system.
Despite being a longtime cheerleader for the Waterville shops and despite the impressive things they used to do, I think the Derby shops at this point in time are more modern and more capable, and have demonstrated the ability to turn out very high quality work. PAR, to my knowledge, has invested next to nothing in the Waterville shops in the past almost 30 years, and it shows.

I'd hate to see either one get shut down, but from this outsider's perspective, it looks like Derby would be the one worth saving if there had to be a choice between the two.

Also, if MMA had to be at PAR's mercy for locomotive repair, they'd probably go out of business. Just look at how long it has taken PAR to finish contract work for the MBTA. Things that MMA can do in less than a month take PAR a year or more to complete.
  by MEC&BAR

Cowford wrote: Both lines have "essential" aspects: MILL-BJCT is MMA's outlet to the west. PAR's line provides a connection to the Maritimes and connects with the Bucksport Branch. Beyond that, there are only a few small customers on MMA (to my knowledge - logs in Brownville, wood chips in La Grange, and scrap in N Hermon). PAR has only the former mill at Old Town (not even sure if it's an active rail customer now), Lincoln (certainly not a big rail customer), and Keag (active now?). That said, two drastic options could be explored: attactive proposition.
As far as PAR goes the Mill at Old Town is active, the Keag jobs will switch it I think everytime they go through and sometimes they might even send out a switcher. I waited at Old Town one day as BAMA switched it for about 3 hrs, the yard is was/is filled with boxcars and sodium chloride hoppers. Some of the cars are stored Railboxes. I can't say for sure but if I had to guess I think the Keag trains are running 5 days a week, not 100% sure, close to that.

Keag trains have been goodsized as of late, about 2 weeks ago they had about 60 cars. Another day was about 80. They will drop off cars for the mill. They have even been taking 6-7 scrap cars up there which is new to me. Plus they have been handling sets of CN pulpwood cars.

Far as track goes don't ask. Chased BAMA to Lincoln and it was 10 MPH the whole way.

I did watch NBSR one day arrive at the Keag back in October or November they had about 40 cars and they had to leave 30 cars at Brownville becaue they were short on power and guilford had 40-50 cars for them and they took only took half of those.

This is what I've noticed in the past 3-4 weeks.
  by calaisbranch

NM-1 or NM-2 often make the run to Old Town as well. They will make specific runs from NMJ just to switch the mill or bring hot cars. The Old Town complex can be quite a busy place that actually has a four-track crossing in the limits with a small multi-track yard in town near the old freight house. The freight house can be a crew change or(in my case last week) a train change point where they dump one train to advance another. Power is also sometimes left here for the mill. The main crosses the river to Milford and eventually reaches Lincoln and Mattawamkeag. It's not, by any means, a dead line. The speeds and track conditions just suck, like Travis mentioned. From what I've seen, mainline rail is mostly tired 1927-era 100lb Lackawanna stick.

It's a funny reversal with MMA. Way better track conditions, but less tonnage. They have the acid trains that run to Searsport and the NMJ/Millinocket turn jobs. They also seem to cater well to the local propane dealers. Maine Energy and Dead River are both within a couple miles of NMJ on the Searsport Branch. Yet, Suburban on the PAR main in town isn't served even with a spur to it. Not too sure about the regular freight such as that, but I doubt MMA would want to run the acid on anything but their own tracks. They've had that customer for like 40+ years I think.

So, as good as it might sound, I give a vote of "pretty unlikely" on any type of consolidation happening in this region with these two routes.
  by Cowford

So, as good as it might sound, I give a vote of "pretty unlikely" on any type of consolidation happening in this region with these two routes.
No doubt. To start, I don't believe relations between the two roads are overly positive. Adding to that, state support/intervention to make it happen is unlikely (not that this would be materially important). It's a shame; consolidation onto the MMA route (which seems the logical choice) would greatly benefit both roads and, as a result, the state as a whole. Possibly this idea will be given consideration when the Eastern sub deteriorates to the point of requiring substantial capital infusion.
  by calaisbranch

Cowford wrote:
No doubt. To start, I don't believe relations between the two roads are overly positive. Adding to that, state support/intervention to make it happen is unlikely (not that this would be materially important). It's a shame; consolidation onto the MMA route (which seems the logical choice) would greatly benefit both roads and, as a result, the state as a whole. Possibly this idea will be given consideration when the Eastern sub deteriorates to the point of requiring substantial capital infusion.
.....Or until PAR convinces NS to buy it as well! :-) Where would you cut back the PAR main too, though? Old Town is very active. That is MP 46 area from Mattawamkeag. Lincoln, where the other mill is, is within 15-20 miles of 'Keag I think. Northern Maine Junction where the bulk of cars go is MP 64-65. If they cut the section between, say, OT and Lincoln, it would leave the Lin-Mat section as a isolated branch at the mercy of Canada's New Brunswick Southern. Then, anything that had to reach NMJ would have to travel west from Mat to Brownville Junction and come down the MMA. All that and abandon only 25 or so miles? While a dominant 10mph rule stands east of Bangor, it seems to work for PAR. I don't really know exactly how cool the relationship is between MMA and PAR nowadays, but it isn't exactly a love fest at NMJ. I was kind of surprised to see MMA leasing PAR power this weekend. Miracles never cease I guess!
  by Cowford

As long as operationally practical for Great Works mill operations, I'd cut the line west of the Penobscot River crossing in Old Town, just east of the old depot. (The mill itself is 17 miles east of No Me Jct.) Track to be abandoned would be from Old Town to Lincoln, 32 miles, with the remaining Lincoln-Keag 13 miles retained. As you note, that would leave Lincoln at the mercy of NBSR, but that arrangement appears to have worked quite well with Woodland. I don't think Lincoln does much business at all... probably not worth parking a unit up there. Either PAR could contract NBSR to switch the mill as needed or be creative and use a Brandt hi-rail truck in place of a locomotive. How many carloads does the mill even ship/receive nowadays??? Rationalization would eliminate one-two train starts daily, along with 32 miles of track maintenance and inspection needs. A perpetual haulage agreement would lower PAR costs and provide (much needed) incremental revenue to MMA/NBSR.
  by calaisbranch

Cowford wrote:As long as operationally practical for Great Works mill operations, I'd cut the line west of the Penobscot River crossing in Old Town, just east of the old depot. (The mill itself is 17 miles east of No Me Jct.) Track to be abandoned would be from Old Town to Lincoln, 32 miles, with the remaining Lincoln-Keag 13 miles retained. As you note, that would leave Lincoln at the mercy of NBSR, but that arrangement appears to have worked quite well with Woodland. I don't think Lincoln does much business at all... probably not worth parking a unit up there. Either PAR could contract NBSR to switch the mill as needed or be creative and use a Brandt hi-rail truck in place of a locomotive. How many carloads does the mill even ship/receive nowadays??? Rationalization would eliminate one-two train starts daily, along with 32 miles of track maintenance and inspection needs. A perpetual haulage agreement would lower PAR costs and provide (much needed) incremental revenue to MMA/NBSR.
Cutting a continuous 480-mile artery and an active interchange at the very end of your system seems way more of a risk than the cost of having to maintain those miles of marginal rail. It's worked for the railroad and online customers of PAR so far. Having a loco in Old Town takes care of both directions, to NMJ or Mattawamkeag. I'd love for an agreement to benefit MMA and even PAR, but why should shipper(s) be forced to deal with NBSR and their Canadian influence? It's far flung, but the current layout also offers both MMA and PAR emergency back-up in an otherwise pretty remote part of the country as well. If one line goes down, the other is fairly close by.

Keag to Brownville Jct is just over 43 miles on NBSR. So Lincoln doesn't do much, but I would want my options open and not decided for me by someone who has a money-saving dream from the 50th floor of an upper-crust high-rise in Chicago. It would really depend on which way cars move the smoothest. Such cutting in the past has already cost our country's RR infrastructure incredibly. Why help the "enemy" (NBSR in this case) by slicing our wrists just enough to slowly bleed to death if we don't have to?
  by mwhite

I would argue that there is another reason for preserving both routes: redundancy. If one route were removed, and then the other is closed due to a derailment, bridge washout etc, the alternate routing would be many many many more miles. Despite the intense competition between railroads (in general) they are really cooperative when it comes to rerouting each others trains when situations arise. They do this because they realize it is in their own self interest since today they may host someone else's train, tomorrow may they may need the favor returned.

One should not forget that they are several closed facilities along the Old Town-Lincoln line that rather quickly could be reopened and begin shipping again, should the national and world economies recover.
  by Cowford

I would argue that there is another reason for preserving both routes: redundancy
That exactly the reason FOR rationalization. To put it in personal terms, how many people own an extra car in case their primary auto dies... or an additional home in case their house burns down? The chances of either line going down for an extended period due to a catastrophic event is pretty darned slim. If it's that big of an issue, "rail bank" the surplus line. With regard to the shuttered on-line facilities on the Eastern sub, I believe there are two: former lumber mills at Costigan and Passadumkeag. I further believe they've been closed for years, and given the outlook for lumber over the next several years, it's a pretty slim chance they could come back in the forseeable future. If they ever did, a lumber reload could be set up at a variety of rail locations within 10-15 miles of the sites.
someone who has a money-saving dream from the 50th floor of an upper-crust high-rise in Chicago.
Not a dream but a proposition to foster debate, not derison. And I live in an upper-crust three-flat, not high rise. :wink:
slicing our wrists just enough to slowly bleed to death if we don't have to?
That's what has been happening to Maine's rail industry for the last 10-20 years. Bottom line: Maine has too much track and not enough traffic. The state needs further route rationalization to assure the remaining segments' viability. It would not be cutting an artery/killing an active interchange. Rather, it consolidates traffic within a corridor. Service and economies could only improve.
  by MEC407

Cowford wrote:
someone who has a money-saving dream from the 50th floor of an upper-crust high-rise in Chicago.
Not a dream but a proposition to foster debate, not derison. And I live in an upper-crust three-flat, not high rise. :wink:
I thought he was referring to Burkhardt with that statement. :wink:
  by mwhite

Cowford wrote: The chances of either line going down for an extended period due to a catastrophic event is pretty darned slim.
Not true. Being a part-time railroad employee myself, I can assure you that things can and do happen on a regular albeit irregular basis. Last spring I was engineer on a train after a heavy rainstorm. We were stopped by a large washout at a series of parallel culverts. It took the best part of a week to repair the damage. A bridge out of service can tie up a railroad for months or even shut it down for good. Where would the State of Maine be then? The entire northern part of the system would be completely severed from southern Maine, and an all US rail routing. This is a reality that should concern those of who support the rail and manufacturing industries in this state. And rail banking should be a last ditch effort to preserve a line. Once crossings are removed etc, it takes much more time to reactivate a line - time being critical for our industries who need to ship freight in and out to remain competitive.
  by Cowford

Service disruptions certainly occur from time-to-time, but I wouldn't consider the "best part of a week" to be extended. Extending your argument, EVERY line should have a back-up. You don't have a "reserve" line for the Northeast corridor, so When was the last catastrophic (call it three weeks+) route disruption in Maine? The only example I can think of was the NB floods (in early 1987?) that severed CP's Fort Fairfield and Caribou branches... and all that did was prompt CP to accelerate the abandonment process. If those lines were viable, they would have been quickly put back in service.