Railroad Forums 

• The Rumored End of the MMA?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#738783  by CN9634

NBSR-PAR-SLR-CN wouldn't work because NBSR could just hand off to CN at St. John. NBSR-PAR-NS would be the other gateway.
 #738873  by QB 52.32

Don't forget NBSR-PAR-CSX (like NS) via Worcester (Barbers) or NBSR-PAR-PAS-CSX (via Rotterdam Jct.), the route of those CSX Intermodal domestic containers.
 #739037  by CN9634

RailNutNE wrote:Could we soon be looking at the end of 2 Maine Railroads? (SLR and MMA)
?
What are you basing this on? There is no indication that the SLR is ailing what so ever. In fact they are probably one of the more efficient railroads in Maine. We've already discussed the MMA. I don't understand what you are basing your judgments on but I would suggest you take a look at some of the online resources to make a more accurate analysis. http://www.maine.gov/mdot/railplan/index.htm or http://www.state.me.us/mdot/freight/fre ... lroads.php
 #739046  by Cowford

There certainly doesn't seem to be any evidence of SLR's imminent demise. However, SLR is in a somewhat tenuous position, as the company is reliant on overhead traffic and customers that benefit from PAR's services challenges.

PS: Not sure if I'd consider ME DOT a source for "accurate" analysis.
 #739085  by oibu

Probably just concern over SLR traffic levels right now, but hopefully taht's temporary. EVen if it's not, unless there is further decline I don't foresee SLR going anywhere.
 #741370  by Cowford

Did MMA ever formally file an abandonment petition with the STB? I can't find it.

It's interesting to note the dearth of public response in the news media to MMA's proposed action. In the three months since MMA's announcement, Bangor Daily News has had just one editorial (or were there two?) and a couple of letters. And the tone was certainly not one of overwhelming support.
 #741611  by Hamhock

For what it's worth, the public has brought up the issue at each of the state Rail Plan meetings that have occurred, so the state DOT is at least "on notice" that it's of *some* public concern.
 #743477  by Otto Vondrak

RailNutNE wrote:First of all, sorry if my previous post came across as crass, I was just looking for real facts, not speculation.
All the facts you need: http://www.stb.dot.gov/
 #743717  by Cowford

Otto, are you saying that MMA has filed with STB?
 #747727  by Dieter

I think he's showing you the best source for information on the subject with zero conjecture/speculation and hooey. Outside of speaking with the CEO, this is the next best place to the horses mouth.

D/
 #748304  by Cowford

I asked because not only is there zero conjecture/speculation, there is zero information. MMA appears NOT to have filed [with the STB], so why recommend a source that would have no information?
Last edited by Cowford on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #761045  by Otto Vondrak

Cowford wrote:I asked because not only is there zero conjecture/speculation, there is zero information. MMA appears NOT to have filed [with the STB], so why recommend a source that would have no information?
There's no information because there has been no abandonment filing. I thought that was fairly obvious.