Railroad Forums 

• I hope this is not true! F40's coming to MMA?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#556669  by Ham549

"In July 2008 OHCR226, OHCR271, OHCR301 were reported in Detroit, moving from the Ohio Central RR to the MMA."
-Amtrak Locomotive and Car Notes

For the love of God please tell me that MMA has not aquired thoes F40PH's :(
 #557208  by ShortlinesUSA

They were purchased by RailWorld, moving under MMA reporting marks. I would presume these will be more prime mover donors for Poland, rather than for service on the MMA.
 #557237  by Ham549

... I try everything in my power to save a F40PH and for over a year of working and giving this project everything I got I have only less then $200 raised (mostly my money I put in the fund) Yet to see these good units shipped to those ***** really hits me hard! A "Artist" can get $2,000,000 dollars from the Annenberg Foundation to research the plausibility of a art piece he wants to do where he will suspend a full size replica of a locomotive from a crane, but what can I show for trying to save the real thing? :(
 #558156  by MEC407

Saving a locomotive is no easy task. It ended up being impossible when I tried it a few years ago (with a truly rare locomotive, I might add...). Trying to do it today, especially with a locomotive that is or was relatively common, is sure to be a daunting task. :( At least you gave it your best shot. Be proud of that.
 #560703  by Tadman

There is hundreds of F40's still operating in Chicago alone - wait until we get to the point where the last large fleet is being retired, then start worrying. There's a story going around that the only preserved E7 was hidden somewhere in OH or PA by a PC shop foreman, and it was eventually preserved by the most bankrupt road in history. In today's economic climate, a few will be preserved. Likely IRM and RRM-PA will each get one amongst others.
 #560874  by MEC407

Even if you disregard all of the F40s that were originally purchased by roads other than Amtrak, there are still literally dozens of ex-Amtrak F40s that survive as fully working locomotives and are not in danger disappearing. Here is a partial list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F40PH#Survivors
 #573140  by acornillie

One engine in the group, 226, is the last surviving unmodified phase 1 F40PH (the difference among phases lie in the fuel tank arrangement). F40PHs in original configuration are starting to become quite scarce as they are fuel hogs; hence they have not proven as popular in tourist and commuter service. Maine and Eastern, for instance, has opted to use FL9s for the tourist train and the Grand Canyon railroad still uses it's FPA4's (despite the fact that it has F40PHs). Many things including age, EPA regulations, and the permanent fuel crisis make F40s an endangered species (at least in their as built form). In that respect, many other 645 powered locomotives may also be endangered to with their ranks thinning rather quickly.

Also, most second hand F40PHs are leased through Rail World, so when they are returned to the lessor they may be in peril. There are many reasons why any museum could justify an F40PH (they were the standard national passenger locomotive for 25 years), though the parts demand will make acquisition of them rather difficult.

-Andrew Cornillie