Railroad Forums 

• Radio Over Internet Protocol (ROIP)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#538485  by robc

The MM&A has taken the plunge and built a test pilot project: Radio Over Internet Protocol "ROIP" which will enable our Customer Service Center as well as our RTC Dispatch Center to effectively communicate to all of our radio site towers as well as any location needed on a global platform. This system uses the Internet to communicate console to radio towers without the use of traditional telephone leased lines.

Not only will there be huge savings in monthly leased line costs, but it also gives technical capabilities to remotely troubleshoot, program, and make changes via a laptop computer. Possibilities and capabilities are enormous.

One circuit alone with a cost of $ 2,000.00 a month will change to $400 or even lower depending what kind of high speed internet connectivity you want.

ROIP technology enables users to know if Radio is on line, connectivity is lost, multiple radio channels, scanning etc. Simply put, a Smart Radio system. This is the future for long distance Radio Communications and we plan to break the paradigm.

For those who would like to see how ROIP works, visit:
www.railroadradio.net

#540707  by rockyroad

Excellent site. I was able to listen to trains outside city limits and into Vancouver! I even heard a hot box detector go off on the UP and they found a journal just about to burn off, what a catch. Thank you for that comment regarding ROIP. Quite rare and a welcome change regarding topics that contain the same ole, same ole. I've heard ROIP was available though fairly new. It sure opens up a whole lot of possibilites. Keep up the good work. Thanks for looking ahead.

#540919  by soolinexec

Yes:

Nice stuff. It is a take off from VoiP. CSX started using it also. Avtech I believe is the system they use to Dispatch from Jacksonville FL. throughout their system. I'll bet they save tons of money!

Good move changing over this stuff. Timing just about right.

#540928  by soolinexec

Oops,

That's Avtec, not Avtech. There out of south Carolina somewhere. Just recently too.

#541668  by rockyroad

Other forums have mentioned that the railroadradio site has been around for 5 years or better. Didn't realize it was on.
 #640770  by robc

The first circuit is up. Prototype was built in house and broadcast through a WI Fi and VPN router network. Audio quality is excellent. We now have capabilities to communicate in other states.
 #641767  by RailNutNE

Very nice, nice to see some new things at the MMA. I was starting to think that they probably only had money to run their core operations (and from what I hear, at a loss.) Ha, you never know, maybe we'll see some new locos before all is said and done.