Railroad Forums 

• MMA 3000

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#437683  by MEC407

Just in case anybody hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 457&nseq=1

#437748  by CN9634

Dang the things they do at Derby now are quite amazing! I'd like to see the inside of that unit to see if anythin else inside is different. Is the microprocessor a computer screen display like newer units have or somethin else?

#437758  by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:Dang the things they do at Derby now are quite amazing! I'd like to see the inside of that unit to see if anythin else inside is different. Is the microprocessor a computer screen display like newer units have or somethin else?
It might or might not have computer screens. With retrofits of older units, usually it's just a small panel on the back wall with some LED lights and a small LCD screen.

Here is an example of a rebuilt C36-7 that had computer screens added to the original control stand:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 7&nseq=562

#438070  by CN9634

Now whats the benefit of larger wheels? Less maintanece on trucks or longer life? Wouldn't you think they'd be harder on old jointed rail? I noticed the Trucks have also been modified with the shocks and a few other wires here and there. I wonder if any other C30's will have similiar things done.

#438078  by emd_16645

The larger wheels were a shop error in ordering. Rather than sending back the wrong size ones, they just used them. As for other truck modifications, I don't know.

#438113  by Realityrail

The wheels were NOT an ordering error. Rail World is forcing the MMA into the 1990's by installing 42" wheels as compared to the standard 40" wheels. This is what they did with the GE units they sent to Estonia.

Those Estonian GE's put on a large number of kilometers over the past four years---most likely they see about four times the monthly use as compared to MMA due to train frequency and speed differences. After more than four years, the Estonia GE units are just now in need of new wheels.

By using 42" wheels, the life of the wheel is longer than that of the 40" wheel. This means the wheels are on the axle for a longer time, which means you don't have to dismount and remount wheels as often, which means the axle wheel seats do not wear out as much which means you save MONEY!

Also, wheel diameter has nothing to do with any impacts or lack of impacts on jointed rail (Remember, massive steam locomotives like the Big Boys ran on jointed rail!!). Jointed rail get battered when the joints loose there support due to poor tie and or road bed conditions.

#438116  by MEC407

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most North American locomotives built in the past 10-20 years use 42" wheels, right?

#438138  by Realityrail

That all depends on what the carrier wants. 10 years?-most likely. 20 years?-Hmmmm 50-50 chance.

#440412  by emd_16645

The 3000 was reported to be leading #1 west today. Should be it's first trip across the border since released from Derby.