Railroad Forums 

• New (old) locos for MMA?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#428194  by CN9634

Thats true but I also read an article in Trains once about a RR's image or what not. Keeping a nice public image (As MMA has done) is very important. The article mentioned a shipped who signed up for the RR (M&E actually) just because they had nice shinny red locomotives. But you also have to consider the MMA painting everything else. I mean how many boxcars, trucks and cabooses have they painted? Wouldn't it be easier to slap on MMA reporting marks? But it is nice to see some of the first (Not the first) BNSF orange to roam the great state of Maine.

#428380  by Realityrail

Gee Tadman, are you an expert on locomotivces and MMA?

Are the GE's at MMA really all that bad?

Are they really buy junk (the B23-7 units)?

Where do you get all of your great knowledge?

I am sure we all want to know!

With the MMA looking for a new CMO, you should have taken the job.

#428509  by emd_16645

The concept of buying cheap locomotives, running them into the ground and then scrapping them while buying more cheap locomotives (a power management style pioneered by Guilford) is not a management style that the MMA has adopted. The MMA has shown thus far to be dedicated to rebuilding the GEs that have suffered major failures. Of the initial 28 GEs to be used by the MMA, only 3 are not currently in service, the 3607, 8544 and 8563. The two B39s both threw a rod, which typically is fatal for the engine block. The 3607 burned up its generator. The 5016 lost its block some time ago, and it was replaced (I believe using the 3607's, but I could be wrong). Either way the unit was repaired. The 3000 (ex. 3605) just completed a major overhaul, including a complete rewire job, not a small task. Other units are in the planning stages for the same overhaul (to the best of my knowledge). Also, the 8592 was repaired after significant damage in a grade crossing accident. The MMA has had significant difficulties with keeping the GEs running in the winter, but each year the number of problems decrease as the maintenance personnel become more familiar with the units (Derby pretty much was an all-EMD shop until the MMA takeover). If you look at the list of the initial group of BNSF B23s to go up for auction, you will notice that only 7 of the 14 listed were stored in good order. The MMA purchased these 7. As much as I hate to say it (they should have bought EMDs, IMO), these GEs are gonna be around for a long time.

#434992  by emd_16645

Has anyone seen the new units in service yet?

#451741  by MEC407

emd_16645 wrote:Has anyone seen the new units in service yet?
I haven't seen them personally, but Marc Caya posted a photo:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/imag ... .43264.jpg

And here are two shots from Eric Aucoin:

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails. ... toID=69495

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails. ... toID=69497

#451851  by emd_16645

They just had to send them to Canada. If only they put them in Searsport service first....

#451859  by MEC407

emd_16645 wrote:They just had to send them to Canada. If only they put them in Searsport service first....
I'm surprised to hear that from our resident GE Hater! :wink: hehe

#451941  by emd_16645

MEC407 wrote:
emd_16645 wrote:They just had to send them to Canada. If only they put them in Searsport service first....
I'm surprised to hear that from our resident GE Hater! :wink: hehe
You gotta take what you can get, and after shooting Guilford all summer, I need a change. lol

#452495  by uhaul

I figured they were going to renumber them right after the only B23-7 they had before this sextant showed up. There really is no way to cover up the ATSF marking without making the locomotive look kind of ugly.
I am looking foward to seeing how they patch the H1 painted units.
www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=69494
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=204022
www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=69496
Sputnik 1 50th Anniversary
10/4/57-10/4/07

#455178  by Tom Tancula

As of this morning, here are the locations of all of the B23-7 units. Can some one photograph and post pictures of the units in Farnham and Oakfield?

#2000-At 'home' in Millinocket
#2001-Farnham Switcher
#2002-Oakfield
#2003-being prepared for service in Derby
#2004-Farnham Switcher
#2005-Farnham Switcher
#2006-being prepared for service in Derby

TNT

#455575  by St-Jean Diamond

Tom Tancula wrote:As of this morning, here are the locations of all of the B23-7 units. Can some one photograph and post pictures of the units in Farnham and Oakfield?

#2000-At 'home' in Millinocket
#2001-Farnham Switcher
#2002-Oakfield
#2003-being prepared for service in Derby
#2004-Farnham Switcher
#2005-Farnham Switcher
#2006-being prepared for service in Derby

TNT
I think my good deed is done: taken this morning: MMA 2004:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 196&nseq=8 Read the caption :P

Also, while I took pictures of 2004, MMA 2001 & 2005 where switching right in front of me at the yard. They really run well. Video clip in the works! :P

#455619  by emd_16645

Sounds like I need to make a trip to Oakfield.

#455861  by CN9634

Hey Chris. Where do you live in B-Town? I think we should meet up and do some railfanning, I have a car too.

#456756  by emd_16645

CN9634 wrote:Hey Chris. Where do you live in B-Town? I think we should meet up and do some railfanning, I have a car too.
I live outside of Bangor, but use it as a reference point.