Railroad Forums 

• MM&A purchase of CSX Montreal Secondary?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#417614  by BAR

A news item on the Trains Magazine website reports that there is a potential sale of part of the CSX Montreal Subdivision south of Adirondack Junction to the MM&A. Does anyone have any details or additional information on this transaction? Why does the MM&A want it and what plans do they have for it? Thanks for any information.

#417767  by CN9634

Hello, yes I heard of this. I'm not sure what or how far or anything just yet... I'm assuming this is the Montreal Secondary? Well It looks like the MMA is only going to get bigger! Perhaps they'll have more horses coming soon! The MMA has been doing quite well and as I speak a CWR train is enroute to Maine! I'm looking forward to big improvements! :-D

#418834  by Skullitor

If they get the Montreal Secondary,It will give them a direct connection with BOTH CSX & the SUZY Q.Bypassing PanAm (Guilford)compleatly.But
they will need a lot more power.
Skull

#418971  by CN9634

Sounds like a win win situation to me.

#419168  by johnpbarlow

"...MMA has been doing quite well ..."

Is traffic increasing? I thought the Sunbury pig service ended and some paper mills closed along the MM&A. Is there any St John's container traffic?

#419269  by roberttosh

I could be wrong, but I don't think the MMA would be able to connect directly with CSXT with their purchase of the Montreal Secondary. I believe the CPRS would still be in the middle.

#419283  by Skullitor

roberttosh wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think the MMA would be able to connect directly with CSXT with their purchase of the Montreal Secondary. I believe the CPRS would still be in the middle.
MM&A has trackage rights over CP Rail
Skull

#419286  by roberttosh

They may have some rights over CPRS, but not to Adirondack Jct.

#419290  by Wanderer

roberttosh wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think the MMA would be able to connect directly with CSXT with their purchase of the Montreal Secondary. I believe the CPRS would still be in the middle.
They would probably use their CP rights to get to the Montreal Sub & St. Lawrence Sub (The former CR Montreal Secondary), but once there, they would have direct connection to CSX & NYSW at Syracuse.

#419323  by roberttosh

Guys, if what you are saying is true in that the MMA will be able to exercise trackage rights over the CPRS to reconnect with itself at what was the end of the former CSXT line at Adirondack Jct, then that would mean the MMA would be able to use those same rights to connect with CSXT today, which is definately not the case. This idea has been discussed quite a bit within the industry and am certain that as of right now, the MMA would not be able to connect with CSXT.

#419347  by CN9634

So you're saying if MMA bought a CSXT line they wouldn't be able to connect to CSXT. That doesn't make much sense?

#419395  by roberttosh

It's black and white, if they can't connect with CSXT today, then it would be imposible to connect with CSXT if alls they are doing is buying CSXT track. Actually, they will be able to connect with CSXT, but they will not be able to connect with themselves as there is a gap that exists between the end of the MMA at St Jean and CSXT at Adirondack Jct. When CPRS sold their line to MMA, they made sure that anything coming west into the Montreal area would have to go over their lines to get to CSXT. It's similar to a Paper Barrier where a company doesn't want the operating headaches of running a low-profit line, but they still want to handle the business to and from that line. The difference is that MMA can still connect with ST and CN.

#419509  by fire651

MMA already has trackage rights over CP Adirondack Sub in order to enter Montreal and a local job out of Farnham servicing customers located beyond M.P 20 in CP territory. Also, the CN interchange in St-Jean is actually a CP/CN interchange, so theorically CP could have a roadswitcher doing the work instead of MMA. I am pretty convinced that MMA already has all the right tools in the tool box if they really made an offer to buy CSX (Quebec)

My two cents

#419518  by BAR

"MM&A has been doing quite well." Does anyone have any hard data on this. I know that the MM&A is privately held so information is hard to come by but anything helpful would be welcome. Thanks.