Railroad Forums 

• BAR F3 #502

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1202838  by MEC407

Probably the best outcome we could hope for is that they simply sell it to the highest bidder. I can't see them donating it to anyone; they're in need of cash now more than ever, and a tax write-off (from donating it to a non-profit) ain't gonna cut it.
 #1202846  by gokeefe

If Irving decides to buy the railroad I think they will be more than happy to have their own business train along with it. I'm not as concerned at this point.
 #1202869  by MEC407

You may be right. Let's just hope they don't repaint her in NBSR lime green. :P
 #1244871  by ShortlinesUSA

From the sounds of this translated quote from the original La Presse article announcing the buyer, it will be sold to the highest bidder:

"In the end, the bidding process did not produce a more interesting offer considered by the U.S. Bankruptcy Trustee . Robert Keach . However locomotives were excluded from the proposal. They will be sold separately from rails and buildings , which will generate additional proceeds of approximately 1.5 million."

Full article is here, in French:

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/dossi ... la-mma.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1244886  by Ridgefielder

KSmitty wrote:Fortress and 502, what will happen?
Business train power for the FEC? ;-)
 #1244889  by MEC407

First they need to do something about the hideous HEP car they haul around everywhere. Totally ruins the look of the train. Put that thing in an empty baggage car or something!

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2813116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2306051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3222143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1244915  by gokeefe

#502 is not the only major artifact on the property. I think equally significant (but less discussed) is BAR #107 BURNT HILL.

The only round ended observation car ever owned by a Maine railroad. It is not the only rounded ended observation car to operate in Maine as the CP operated their "Park" series cars through Maine on the Atlantic Limited but it is among the rarest of birds in Maine railroading history and since this car was actually used in passenger service I would rate this car as being "rarer" than even MEC #333 LONE TREE, an open ended observation car used exclusively as the Maine Central's business car. That car survives to this day as well and is confirmed as still in Maine.
 #1244982  by Backshophoss

So the F-3 and the 2 passenger cars will become a seperate sale,sad, but figure on a whole bunch of scrap metal guys
driving the price out of range of any preservation effort,the court(s) are looking for the MAX SSS they can get!

MEC 407,the HEP plant is mounted on a 20 ft container frame,simple,cheap,and quick removal from the well car with a crane.
Don't think the FEC will buy a retired Amtk MHC car to install the HEP plant in.
 #1244987  by Dick H

I believe there is only one BAR passenger car in play.
The other car referred to by GOK is a MEC car and is
stored at Waterville at last report.

Acquisition by a preservation group is probably unlikely,
unless they have a benefactor with big bucks. However,
Class 1's and some other lines that have OCS equipment
might have interest in both the F-3 and the BURNT HILL.
The Iowa Pacific Corporation might have an interest.
 #1245027  by douellet

I rode in the Burnt Hill several years ago on an excursion trip to Oakfield. I wasn't very impressed with it. The BAR had nicer cars on it's roster back then. That being said, I still hope it isn't scrapped.
 #1245045  by bobw59

Did the Burnt Hill come to BAR during the Dumaine era?
 #1245668  by thebigham

Does anyone have that link to a website that has a bunch of recent pics of the Derby shops? Thanks!
 #1245727  by MEC407

Kevin Burkholder posted a message on the "MMA-Rail" Yahoo Group stating that the F3 is now owned by Fortress. Mr. Burkholder attributed this information to Ed Burkhardt himself.