Railroad Forums 

• Remote Control Locomotive

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#262663  by SnoozerZ49

[i]A typical comment... Sure all it takes is desire[/i], what hogwash. It takes a lot more than desire to make a company profitable. It's all in the numbers that is how the fiancials work out. If they are tough the company will be hog tied.

You just don't get it.

#262722  by LCJ

Realityrail wrote:As for power, Wisconsin Central took over 200 cast off unwanted SD45 units, maintained them, and built the best railroad of the 20th century.
Just wondering -- by what standard of measure was WCL the "best railroad of the 20th Century?"
 #274859  by robc

Hello all:

VB-4 is just about finished. We had some D/A converter issues from Cattron that needed to be worked out. VB-4 looking real nice. Will be up to Derby next Monday to start the shakedown testing and run up. This model has a Solar system that keeps on board battery bank charged 100% when no Locomotive connected.

Sure it took awhile to roll out. But you can't rush quality & perfection.

#274916  by MEC407

Sounds nice. Thanks for the update. :-D
 #280314  by robc

VB-4 is out and running. Feedback indicates working perfectly. Last time I knew it's whereabouts in Brownville Junction.
 #405200  by robc

Hello all:

It's been a few years now and the overall design of the RCL systems have worked out great. We have logged the worst case scenerios and they seem to be during harsh cold winters. On the beltpack side, only minor issues such as antennas, battey clips, loose buttons. On board mostly 72 to 12 volt converters trying to keep up with the load during winter months. Plan in place to replace with a more robust model, Wilmore. The 3 best 72 to 12 volt converters are: Wilmore, Newmar & ICT. Keep those in mind when you retrofit your Locomotives for GPS, Radio comm, PCT and all other future technologies.
 #525710  by soolinexec

So, It's been close to a year now since I've heard any feedback on your remote control locomotives. How did your design work out? The UP seemed to pick up your idea on the Caboose model. Cattron Theimeg is working very well with class 1's. As a matter of fact, they bought the original designer of RCL's, Canac corp. in Canada.

Let's hear how they are performing out there! Train crews take to them yet??
 #525713  by soolinexec

Oh, by the way. I did hear from some shops that the batteries on the Beltpack are a bit touchy to take in and out. They have a tendency to break off the tabs. Gets pricey to replace battery just because of broken tabs.
 #657578  by robc

Hi there:

All in all over the past 5 years, the systems have been doing great. Most issues are time related i.e CMOS batteries dying, battery replacements,
digital sensors quit, mostly usage wear and tear.. The great thing here is the inherent designs always prevent the Remote from working or sends it to fail safe posture.