Railroad Forums 

• Remote Control Locomotive

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#52145  by sandpvrr

Bob,
Thanks very much for the update - is that glitch what is responsible for some of VB-1s strange faults? Especially braking ones?
Incidently - are those Digital air gauges?
Thanks Bob!
cya, Joey
 #52617  by robc

Hi Joe:

Not at all, software adjustment made in the LCU to account for the longer brake pipes. Normally, RCO's are installed in the Locomotive, but being in caboose, you have longer travel ie. brake pipes. It's an adjustment thing. As far as the guages, all guages mounted in RCO are analog. Keeping it simple

Bob
 #52748  by robc

Joe:

I know while reading the above your wanting to know more, so here it is. The fault they have been getting is an Independant brake fault. When you request a reduction in braking the is a transitition from full relase to full application, the LCU starts a timer that looks at pressure to see if it made it to the requested setting. If not, then it flags a faults and trips a penalty. Alarm has to be recoverd on Caboose. Like I mentioned above, there are additonal lines in the circuit that has more volume to drain. So, we are expanding the timer a couple of seconds to give it the required time to reach the requested pressure. All in software. And of course open up the flow control valve a bit more.

#57916  by Realityrail

Simple answer--Van Buren Bridge company (I hope I spelled that correctly!) MMA acquired all of the former Iron Roads railroads as well as their "marks" or initials. That explains why some of the unpainted former ROCK cars are NVR (Northern Vermont Railroad).

Now, to add to the confusion, throw in the SLC cars. These are grandfathered car hire box cars. Only short lines marks can keep the high, grandfathered car hire rates. MMA is not a short line, so the answer was to borrow Ed Burkhardt's SLC marks from his short line in Colorado.

Borrow? I am sure there is a small fee involved!!!

#57921  by JAJ

Realityrail wrote:Simple answer--Van Buren Bridge company (I hope I spelled that correctly!) MMA acquired all of the former Iron Roads railroads as well as their "marks" or initials. That explains why some of the unpainted former ROCK cars are NVR (Northern Vermont Railroad).

Now, to add to the confusion, throw in the SLC cars. These are grandfathered car hire box cars. Only short lines marks can keep the high, grandfathered car hire rates. MMA is not a short line, so the answer was to borrow Ed Burkhardt's SLC marks from his short line in Colorado.

Borrow? I am sure there is a small fee involved!!!
OK, we actually came up with VBBC (Van Buren Bridge Company) as our best answer, but I still didn't think that that really was the basis for "VB"! I guess question #2 is "why use the reporting marks of a somewhat obscure predecessor road for this caboose"? We tried to tackle that one as well...our best answer for that is that perhaps it has something to do with labor rules on the old VBBC, with the caboose being RCL and all. But I'd be interested to hear why MMA is keeping the VBBC alive, instead of lettering this car with MMA reporting marks.

JAJ
[email protected]

#57977  by Realityrail

The reason is not labor rules (MMA USA is non-union). It was done to keep the numbering simple (remeber MMA 1 is the STATE OF MAINE PRODUCTS car.

And check the equipment register. VB is the AAR designated reporting mark for the Van Buren Bridge Company.

#57980  by JAJ

Realityrail wrote:The reason is not labor rules (MMA USA is non-union). It was done to keep the numbering simple (remeber MMA 1 is the STATE OF MAINE PRODUCTS car.

And check the equipment register. VB is the AAR designated reporting mark for the Van Buren Bridge Company.
Roger that, indeed I mistyped Van Buren Bridge Company's reporting marks as VBBC instead of VB. And the simple (i.e. low) numbering reason makes sense as well. Thanks for your insights, RealityRail.

JAJ

#61252  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
VB-1 is at Millinocket at the moment (or at least was yesterday) and I have heard through the gravevine that it will be put into regular service there.
VB-2 is mostly complete (externally anyway) so I expect to see that relatively soon.
Incidently, I spotted these signs around NMJ and Millinocket:
http://www.rrnne.net/gallery/details.ph ... ode=search
The times they are a changin' (Apologies to Bob Dylan)
Have fun all!
cya, Joey
 #67902  by soolinexec

So how is the remote controls doing out there? Trainmen fall into the don't ask, don't tell routine and push it off to the side or are they waiting for the management to tell them to get off their asses and accept change?

Always wanting to go back to the old way of doing things don't they?

#70806  by northgandydancer

Realityrail,
You have most of the above correct but one little detail is not. MMA nor Railworld acquired all of the rail lines owned by Iron Road. Namely, they did not purchase the Windsor and Hantsport in N.S. nor the Iowa Northern RR. These portions were very carefully removed from the envelope of BAR System prior to the filing of bankruptcy. MMA acquired some of the assets of the old BAR System from the bankruptcy court. That seems like a tired statement but some seem to lose that aspect of what happened.
 #116961  by robc

Hey everyone:

VB-1 & VB-2 are doing real well in NMJ and Millinocket. Added some new features to the design that enhances the original.

1. 20 amp electronic charger/temp sensor- Automatically charges battery bank when RCL is externally powered via the Power hock combined with 72 to 12 v Converter.

2. Diode isolation- Installed on the 72 to 12 volt converter in order to prevent backfeed from the batteries to the charger and converter itself. A plus during winter months where battery capacity is at it's minimum.

3. Power Hock illuminator- Neon indicator at the power hock to indicate power is live from the pole or wherever caboose is plugged in.

4. Flourescent internal lighting- Conserve battery power and inverter load geared for winter months.

Next feature will be a dual diversity antenna for the LCU on the rooftop which will increase (OCU) beltpack radio link reliability.

Check out this month's issue of progressive railroading. Looks like the shift for RCL System platforms among railroads is towards caboose!
 #132909  by robc

Just a short note to you folks following the RCO's. VB-3 is close to rollout.

Finshing up the shakedown testing and checkout. Added new chargers to the fleet's Battery banks which will charge witl locomotive & external power hock when parked.

Looking at the possibility of installing solar panels at a later time to keep battery banks topped off during long periods with no AC or loco's.

VB-4 in construction at Derby.
 #134374  by robc

Hi everyone:

VB-3 ready to put in Service. Shakedown testing complete, Issues with the strobe lights resolved. VB-4 in construction at Derby. Looking like towards end of Summer for roll out.