• End of Steam 1960

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by S1f3432

Those of you who are history buffs might be interested to note that today marks 60 years since CP
ended the regular every day use of steam power on the Scoot, mixed trains 517 and 518 between
Brownville Juntion and Megantic, with the eastbound passage of train 518 behind P1d 2-8-2 5107
on Tuesday, March 29, 1960. The next day the train was behind an RS-3. During that week between
March 28 and April 2 a number of engines- 946-1072-2229-2663-3514- would handle a variety of
locals and yard assignments between Farnham and Megantic for the final time. 5107 made one final
trip west on the Scoot train 517 on Friday April 8 to Megantic. The next day, Saturday April 9, 5107
worked the Megantic-Sherbrooke wayfreight and later train 913 from Sherbrooke to St. Luc. This
info is compiled from "Magnetic North" by Roger Cook and Karl Zimmerman ( 1999 ), an article in
Classic Trains by David Plowden ( Spring 2010 ) and a follow up letter-to-the-editor by an ex CP
employee in CT ( Sum 2010 ). I will also note the the last "regularly scheduled passenger steam" is
usually attributed to the GTW commuter trains beteen Detroit-Pontiac-Durand MI; this service ended
March 27.
  by Cowford

Good stuff! I've read very little about the demise of Brownville Junction's steam servicing facilities (and those at Holeb, etc.) I imagine that employment dropped a fair bit in Brownville Jct as steam winded down. Any idea when the roundhouse and coal dock were razed?
  by S1f3432

I'm not sure when the roundhouse at Brownville Jct. was demolished but it was gone by the time I
made my first trips up there in the late 70's. Regarding jobs- in the previously mentioned Spring 2010
Classic Trains article by David Plowden there is a half-page photo of solemn railroad employees gathered
on and about M-4 2-8-0 3514 at Megantic with mention in the article that many of them would soon be
unemployed. Even modern, "efficient" steam locomotives required extensive support facilities and
staff. A diesel was like your car; turn it off and walk away.