Railroad Forums 

• Katahdin Rail Car

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1475131  by backroadrails

I saw on TV5 the other day about the grand opening of Kahtahden Rail Car up at Derby. I don’t recall when they will start doing repairs but the shop complex looks great!
 #1475262  by toolmaker

Here's another article on the new service facility.

Katahdin Railcar Services LLC (KRS), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Central Maine & Quebec Railway (CMQ) opened the new facility May 31 in Derby, Me.

The opening comes after KRS rehabilitated a 24,000-square-foot building, part of CMQ’s 110-acre facility at Derby. KRS will provide full tank-car cleaning including repair, replace, and qualify all tank-car valves using a fully trained and certified staff. In addition, KRS and CMQ will provide multiple options for full repairs, cleaning, end of lease inspections, and storage capabilities.

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/cent ... -facility/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1475306  by Zeke

Old friend of mine who is a big wheel on a class one told me he stores rail tank cars at several locations on the system and it returns a nice piece of change. The ebb and flow of the oil and gas business, due to change of seasons or economic down turn, result in the need to store tank cars and he charges them 150 a month per car long term and 15 dollars a day on short term storage. With a few thousand cars in storage on the property it is easy money. CMQ is smart to grab some of this business.