Railroad Forums 

• CMQ Train Schedules

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1434452  by Dcl1332

Was wondering if anyone knows the CMQ schedules and times for jobs 1, 2, 202, 211, and 420. I am heading up there and I am wanting to get some pictures of these trains in action.
 #1434472  by KSmitty

Dcl1332 wrote:Was wondering if anyone knows the CMQ schedules and times for jobs 1, 2, 202, 211, and 420. I am heading up there and I am wanting to get some pictures of these trains in action.
Job 1 & 2 are running regularly on Saturdays. Out of Brownville 8-10AM turn at Jackman and return to Brownville. I think they run 5-6 days a week. They didn't run Friday this week but I believe they normally do.
420 is largely nocturnal, as they are doing tie work on the Millinocket Sub between Millinocket and Brownville.
211 is Saturdays, and a mid week run. Last week the ran Monday and Thursday, but I've been told regularly on Wednesdays. 2-3 turns/week.
202/203 are running Fridays, mid morning NMJ departure, to at Brownville and back home to NMJ.

Also, I know you're asking about CMQ but, Irving has 907/908 from McAdam to Brownville. 908 leaves Brownville in the noon to 2 range. Meets 907 east of 'Keag both usually work 'Keag.
Pan Am has WAMA/MAWA. MAWA is into NMJ early morning and get into Waterville in the afternoon. You can sometimes catch WAMA on the last 15 or so miles into Keag early too. And NM-1 kicks around, they switch NMJ, go to Detroit, or Orrington or Bucksport.

Others may chime in with more information for you. I don't frequent the area as much as I used to or would like to, but I know there are plenty of options for trains in the area. Start the day with a full tank of gas and a scanner with good batteries and be prepared to call an audible when things don't go as you're expecting.
 #1434547  by cvrr5809

Not trying to step on what Kevin said, but #211's "norm" is Sunday and Wednesday. Last week was more of a fluke with the Mon-Thursday bit. They just ran yesterday to back up the Sun side.
 #1434583  by johnpbarlow

So it sounds like the upcoming weekend's speeder convoy operating NMJ to Jackman on Sunday and return on Monday won't encounter any road freight activity?
 #1434609  by BAR

I am going to take the opportunity of this post to request some general information about CMQ train operations.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide a list of the current CM&Q trains and days of operation. From checking this forum I think that perhaps:

Number 1 - Westbound from Brownville Junction to Farnham (?)

Number 2 - Eastbound Farnharm (?) to Brownville.

Number 201 - NMJ - Brownville Junction turn?

Number 211 - NMJ - Searsport turn?

Farnham to Newport turn.

Belfast to Rockland.

What else is there?

Any information and corrections to above would be appreciated and I will make a list for my future reference.

Back in the good old days of the BAR I would stop in the dispatchers office at NMJ when visiting Maine and they would provide me with a list (lineup) of the trains operating that day and the crews assigned.

I did not expect to encounter many trains on this weekend's speeder excursion but did hope to see some activity. It has always surprised me that probably 40% of speeder operators are not railfans but just enjoy operating (and maintaining) their cars and viewing the scenery on trips so lack of trains will not disappoint them.

Thanks for any help.

BAR
 #1434613  by 690

Job 400 is Job 1/2 crew on the American side, you'll often hear them call themselves Job 400 on the radio, usually OD at 08:00
Job 410 is (or was, although I don't think it has been abolished) the Brownville switcher, usually works overnight.
Job 420 is the Brownville - Millinocket and return, Sunday - Thur at 15:00.

Jobs 201/202 are the Brownville - NMJ / NMJ - Brownville turns, usually OD around 07:00.
Jobs 211/212 are the Brownville - Searsport and return, although I don't think they use 212 very often anymore. On the days they don't go to Searsport they switch NMJ. OD at 07:00 again.

Rockland - Brunswick turn is run as needed, and usually once every two weeks or so, can run any day.
 #1434630  by BAR

Thanks for the information 690.

BAR
 #1435354  by Dcl1332

Thanks for the information. That gives me a good idea were I need to be and when.
 #1435586  by Zeke

Where does Job 1 originate ? Also does the crew make it all the way to Farnham or do they change crews in Megantic? The reason I say Megantic, the ill fated Oil train that blew up the town apparently shut down for the night west of town and was supposed to swap with the American crew's westbound empty oil cans that parked for the night east of Megantic in the am.
 #1435656  by KSmitty

Zeke wrote:Where does Job 1 originate ? Also does the crew make it all the way to Farnham or do they change crews in Megantic? The reason I say Megantic, the ill fated Oil train that blew up the town apparently shut down for the night west of town and was supposed to swap with the American crew's westbound empty oil cans that parked for the night east of Megantic in the am.
Job 1 runs Brownville Jct. to Farnham. They crew change in Jackman, with an American crew operating as a turn job BJ-Jackman on Job 1 where they pick up Job 2 and return to BJ.
Generally speaking, the Canadian crew operates into Jackman, ties down Job 2 and takes rest. They come out of the hotel and take Job 1, left earlier by the American crew, west.
Across the border, I have no idea how they do it, or how far west the Canadian crew out of Jackman makes it.
 #1435912  by Zeke

Yes, that Sherbrook sub is definitely a black hole as for as operations are concerned. Maine Train Chaser has quite a few very recent chases of Job 1/2 over the Moosehead on You Tube if anyone is interested. Thanks for the info Smitty.
 #1435920  by 690

The Canadian crew runs from Jackman to Farnham.
 #1435939  by CPF363

What is the radio frequency or frequencies used on the Canadian side of the border?
 #1437867  by Zeke

Over on You Tube Maine Train Chaser has been videoing Job 1 / 2 this week, good size trains, with the BAR heritage unit on the point one trip west. He said Job 1/2 are running 5 days a week now on a Tues - Sat schedule although some weeks they will skip a day. One thing quite noticeable is the welded rail, new ties and high ballast all over the Moosehead. They are really dumping some money into the track which is surprising. I view some of the CN maritime videos and see weedy and low iron but high speed freight and stack trains. I think I saw a speed limit sign that read 60 mph. I also notice really large cuts of tank cars in Job1/2's consist and wondering if Irving is feeding CMQ some more business ?