Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1347263  by Watchman318

NHV 669 wrote:Free PR, couldn't hurt...
Well, that might depend on who was being mistaken for whom. But then there's always the old "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right." :-D
MEC407 wrote:Since they like to have unique names for each of their operations, maybe they would've called this one Mideastern Maine or Maine Mideastern or Midcoastal Southern or...... :P
Now we need a head-spinning smiley for that. I gotta go get some aspirin. :wink:
 #1347268  by NHV 669

Watchman318 wrote:But then there's always the old "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right." :-D
brings to mind Jack Sparrow,
"But you've heard of us..."
 #1360294  by fogg1703

It will be interesting to see if CMQ will be able to gain some of the Dragon Windsor Qc traffic over the Moosehead instead of SLR. A sharp pencil for those rates will be needed....as well as cooperation from PAR.
 #1360316  by MEC407

No. Apparently MDOT is not seeking another operator for that line at this time.
 #1360321  by Cowford

It will be interesting to see if CMQ will be able to gain some of the Dragon Windsor Qc traffic over the Moosehead instead of SLR. A sharp pencil for those rates will be needed....as well as cooperation from PAR.
Consider that SLR serves the destination and that a CMQ route would be almost double the mileage.
 #1360384  by Fritz

Hello,
Since I have not seen any cement moving westbound on the SLR/SLQ to Windsor in at least a year if not longer, I am not sure that the cement traffic moves on this routing any more. Granted this is only a limited number of trains (maybe nine trains in the last six months). It's probably been a few years since I saw any cement cars on the SLR 393/394.
Best,
Fritz
 #1360446  by fogg1703

Fritz wrote:Since I have not seen any cement moving westbound on the SLR/SLQ to Windsor in at least a year if not longer, I am not sure that the cement traffic moves on this routing any more. Granted this is only a limited number of trains (maybe nine trains in the last six months). It's probably been a few years since I saw any cement cars on the SLR 393/394.
Thanks for the boots on the ground report Fritz. I was under the impression it had been more like 2-3 years since rail was used Rockland to Windsor due to a shortage of leased cars (most dedicated to the barge transload), age of Dragon's leased cars and PAR Bad Ordering them due to age constantly which all led to rail's inability to keep a constant supply line with PAR only interchanging once a week with MERR and then loads sitting in Rigby for a trip north to Danville Jct and SLR. My question was if CMQ could rattle the cage a little and entice PAR with a longer haul to NMJ to increase service a little to grow a little. If successful more cars could be leased such as the NAHX for Tresca service. A guy can dream can't he.
Cowford wrote:Consider that SLR serves the destination and that a CMQ route would be almost double the mileage.
Consider the Dragon Rockland to Millis Ma moves for Tresca....MERR-PAR-CSX (Barbers-Selkirk-Framingham-Millis)-BCLR. Due to capacity issues with the barges rail won out. Stranger things have happened.
 #1364278  by MEC407

Photo by Dan Comick:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=227471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photos by Brendan Barry:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=227512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=227513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1364410  by BandA

So, has anyone determined why the CMQ bid was better than the MERR? Also, does MEDOT have to file any paperwork on the branch that will no longer be serviced?
 #1364436  by Dick H

#690: Interesting photo with that "threatening" sky. Were the locos running?
If they are dead and drained, they will have to get a pool company's tank truck
to fill them up and it's supposed to be only 20 degrees today and 3 degrees tonight.
 #1364456  by MEC407

Wow, 690... absolutely fantastic shot with the star trails! Nicely done!

If I'm not mistaken, MMA fitted some (or maybe all?) of the B23s with auxiliary power units. They did that with some or all of their B39s too. Of course, one wonders whether MMA actually maintained the APUs toward the end, given the company's shall-we-say "unconventional" maintenance practices during their final couple of years...