Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1423839  by gokeefe

Time of year doesn't seem to matter. Current build status of the latest ships seems to be a more reliable predictor.
 #1423947  by F-line to Dudley via Park

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:I spent ten days in Sheepscot (Newcastle) a few weeks back when there was significant snow cover. The MEC Rockland branch was buried the whole time, no activity at all. A shame.
Cement usage across the region always takes an annual dip during the construction offseason post- ground freeze, so a reciprocal drop in production and related decrease in carloads is likewise an annual event at any small/midsize plants. Totally normal for Dragon's carloads to get more intermittent between Dec. and Mar. before south-to-north ground thaw kicks off a new construction season. Only a real colossus of an operation the size of Boston Sand & Gravel ends up churning through winter loads robustly enough for their seasonal production dip to be barely noticeable to the outside world.
 #1438248  by jjoyce1

fogg1703 wrote:Are those new to CMQ ACF 4650 center flow hoppers destined for Dragon service?
You only need about 3250cf to weigh out a 286kGRL car with 117 short tons of Portland cement. These 4650cf cars are way too big for cement. On a 263kgrl railroad you should just use even smaller 2800-3000cf cars to ship cement, because you're otherwise wasting car lease money on cube you can't even use.

JAJ
 #1438277  by fogg1703

jjoyce1 wrote:
fogg1703 wrote:Are those new to CMQ ACF 4650 center flow hoppers destined for Dragon service?
You only need about 3250cf to weigh out a 286kGRL car with 117 short tons of Portland cement. These 4650cf cars are way too big for cement. On a 263kgrl railroad you should just use even smaller 2800-3000cf cars to ship cement, because you're otherwise wasting car lease money on cube you can't even use.

JAJ
Thanks John for the inside knowledge. I can't think of any other online business necessitating covered hoppers, so perhaps the price was right.
 #1438304  by Cowford

...because you're otherwise wasting car lease money on cube you can't even use.
I agree that the car should match the service, but you don't lease a car by the cubic foot. Any difference in the price of a small cube vs med or high cube is going to be predominantly market-driven. You do waste train length as the bigger car, the longer. And if loading is not properly monitored, the risk of overloading is higher.

Strange - it's not like it's hard to find a small cube car nowadays.

GO'keefe - wishful thinking!!!
 #1438308  by jjoyce1

Cowford wrote:
...because you're otherwise wasting car lease money on cube you can't even use.
I agree that the car should match the service, but you don't lease a car by the cubic foot.
I guess I meant the difference in lease rates between new 3281cf 286k cars and older, 263kgrl 2980s. If you're on a 263 railroad don't waste the lease premium for 286 cars.

JAJ
 #1438322  by Dcl1332

I have read That the ACF 4650 center flow hoppers are for haul grain from Aroostook county to market.
 #1438398  by fogg1703

Dcl1332 wrote:
I have read That the ACF 4650 center flow hoppers are for haul grain from Aroostook county to market.
Blue Seal Richford Vt oat traffic returning? Interesting MNR didn't lease the cars.
 #1439229  by fogg1703

Dcl1332 wrote:
Indeed. Photos show CMQ cars spotted at Cavendish Fort Fairfield on the MNR.
 #1439312  by csx2039

fogg1703 wrote:
Dcl1332 wrote:
Blue Seal Richford Vt oat traffic returning? Interesting MNR didn't lease the cars.
Not likely, blue seal absolutely despises the arrogant management and marketing of the cmq. And who can blame them...
 #1443295  by gokeefe

I hadn't noticed this before but it seems as if some extra work has been done in Bath to reduce some of the grade crossings. Oak Street has a very new looking overpass and Pearl Street has been dead ended and has what looks like a new fence.
 #1443509  by deathtopumpkins

Based on Street View imagery, the current Oak St overpass is at least 10 years old.

The oldest imagery for Pearl St is from 2009, and that fence was already there.