Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Activity and Sightings

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1348276  by Fritz

CSX2039,
You are right: There has been a lot of salt lately moving from the WACR to the SLR via the CMQ. And you are right it is only seasonal, usually occurring in late summer and early fall. That being said, it still only represents about 1/4 of the cars moving on the WACR right now (usually moves in blocks of 7-10 cars, at least for the empties going back). The rest is mostly lumber, paper, grain, calcium chloride (dust control on dirt roads, of which there are a lot in northeastern Vermont), and lumber (did I say that already?). So, even discounting the salt, it does seem like traffic is improving, and hopefully it will continue to do so. Hopefully, the CMQ will match the WACR's new (really old since this is how they used to run prior to 2011) schedule of daily turns out of Newport and White River Junction.
Best,
Fritz
 #1348824  by Fritz

Hello,
Word along the WACR is that the CMQ is (was) going to five days per week service on the Newport Subdivision starting yesterday (Tuesday, 15 September). I can't verify whether or not this actually happened or is happening but can say that the WACR is planning to begin operating Monday-Friday turns out of Newport and White River Junction again starting next Monday (21 September). Got to keep that traffic moving. This would be good - and welcome - news.
Best,
Fritz
 #1351725  by csx2039

Fritz wrote:Hello,
Word along the WACR is that the CMQ is (was) going to five days per week service on the Newport Subdivision starting yesterday (Tuesday, 15 September). I can't verify whether or not this actually happened or is happening but can say that the WACR is planning to begin operating Monday-Friday turns out of Newport and White River Junction again starting next Monday (21 September). Got to keep that traffic moving. This would be good - and welcome - news.
Best,
Fritz
Well Vermontrailway did begin running daily service as they were asked by CMQ to do so, and wouldn't you know it, good old Cmq cut back to 2 days per week that same week, when they themselves were the ones that asked of and promised 5 day a week service . Thus vrs running 3 light engine moves a week out of 5 and not happy about it. Not only that but that same week they dropped the entire Canadian side of newport sub down down to 10 mph due to track conditions, this after they dumped millions into Canadian side of the sub not even a year ago... this would be the 5th time customers and connections were promised 5 day a week service with Cmq only delivering 2 days or less. More of the same from the railroad that continues to cry wolf...
 #1351856  by CN9634

They didn't cut back to 2 days a week, they are still working 5 days per week. If you are talking about last week hardly anything ran due to washouts along the line that took 3 days to fix. No traffic off Irving either as they had similar issues with the McAdam sub just reopening about a day ago. It takes time for the supply chain to get back after large service disruptions both on and off property... if there are no cars to interchange then they aren't going to run a service down. My tracking actually showed pretty good trips to Vermont over the past 3 weeks with the only disruptions being last week. Also they are working out the kinks in the new service anyways so as always, be patient. You don't see a RR put $22M into the property, as well as pickup 200+ cars and 10 new-to-them SD40-2Fs (the fleet is pretty large now but I expect a few units to go home) without some sort of plan in place. Give it a few months to get real observations not just the one offs.
 #1351864  by csx2039

They have been making 2 round trips to newport for the last 3 weeks long before the weather hit. I see every move they make. Trust me. I was also told Cmq was expecting traffic that never came. It does take them 4 days as one day down and one day back. So yes they are technically working 4 days on the job but making only 2 round trips. Until they start working on getting the slow orders off the Canadian side of this sub this will be the new norm. I don't see that happening before next work season if at all. This is all fine of course, but don't tell your connecting carriers and customers you are going to do something you clearly can not do. The intentions may be there but the delivery falls far short and likely will for many months or even more...
 #1353986  by NH2060

Given how many times these tracks have changed hands over the past 20 years in between CM&Q, MM&A and CDAC/Iron Road Railways could this just be history repeating itself in some way? Could we possibly see a repeat of this again in 5, 10, 15 years? There's a reason many of the lines that make up the Vermont Railway, for example, have been in constant service since 1964 or even as late as the 1980s with no changing of hands.
 #1357447  by csx2039

Vermont update... well cmq has lifted most of the speed restrictions on the Canadian side of newport sub, service is inconsistent, but at least last week they came to newport on sunday, Wednesday and thursday. Traffic is still slow, only 18 loads handled all week both of through and local traffic. They are handling mostly lumber from pleasant river in jackman, and twin rivers and Irving off MNR. Not much traffic, not much diversity. Majority of maine traffic continues to move nbsr to par via NMJ . This routing looks to remain the key player with cmq/vrs trying to pick up the crumbs....
 #1358823  by csx2039

2 trips last week, only one this week, rails starting to get rusty down here...
 #1361765  by CN9634

Per verified source (No I will not say)

CMQ made 5 trips to Newport 11/30-12/6
At least 4 trips to Newport 12/7-12/13
2 trips so far this week, one yesterday (arrived 10 AM) and another today (Arriving at 1642)
 #1361865  by Fritz

CN9634,
Thanks for the information. It is good to see that the CMQ is finally taking some interested in providing service on the Newport Subdivision and doing what they requested the WACR to do (operate trains both directions five days per week). Hopefully, this increased service is not too late to recapture and build traffic on this line. The WACR seems to be consistently bringing northbound (5-14 cars per train) but southbounds continue to be much more variable (0-15 cars per train). And then cancelling altogether on other days. Lately, there seems to be lots of lumber, paper, and sodium chlorate moving south. Not much moving north (to CMQ vs. local traffic on WACR) except grain.
Best,
Fritz
 #1361871  by csx2039

CN9634 wrote:Per verified source (No I will not say)

CMQ made 5 trips to Newport 11/30-12/6
At least 4 trips to Newport 12/7-12/13
2 trips so far this week, one yesterday (arrived 10 AM) and another today (Arriving at 1642)

Close...

11/30-12/6= 4 trips to newport, with only 3 south bounds bringing traffic, the 4th was because they misbilled cars to vrs that were actually going to cp, so they sent light engines down to grab and bring back...

12/7-12/13= only 3 trips, with one trip bringing a single car south...

There has not been 5 round trips a week between Farnham and Newport since MMA ran the line and it was 2013...

That being said, they are doing slightly better then the 2 trips per week they were doing, but the traffic still is not there.
As I had said a year ago and long before, the cp connection in montreal will always be the dominant player of interchange, the Conn River will only ever be very marginal for through buisness, at least as long as CMQ has the reins to the north.... On a side note look for VRS to see a good increase in local buisness coming up from the south (necr) in the coming years, VRS's aggressive marketing team look to be on the verge of some good developments....
 #1362098  by CN9634

There is a train en route now at Richford. Third one this week I've counted.