Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Activity and Sightings

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1365689  by NHV 669

I've seen evidence that VRS and PAR have similar issues at Bennington with their swaps, and I don't see constant feather-ruffling in those threads about VRS having to wait on New England's biggest carrier to make connections in a timely manner.

But I'm no expert; I had no idea where cars came from or went to until I started asking the right questions here to members that have worked these lines/shipped product/know the conditions. Regarding this very line, I've seen VRS' NPWJ cars from Fritz's reports (as recently as this fall) spend several days at the WRJ south yard before continuing south, so I don't think the railroads are getting too fired up over these missed trips/connections.
 #1365823  by CN9634

Left Farnham at 1253, not sure if they switched customers or when they arrived at Newport, but they just left Newport at 1630. Same power, CEFX 3803 LTEX 2516
 #1366054  by CN9634

Yes they actually ran some extra trains in the Farnham area, namely a windmill train. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the crew on that instead
 #1366604  by CN9634

They probably only made it to Cowansville or Rockford but in any case my point I,s get out from under your rock and realize they are running trains near, around, at and towards Newport on a very frequent basis. Sorry it isn't up to your liking with 7-day-a-week, 100 car freights but at least they are running at all.
 #1366617  by KSmitty

csx2039 wrote:Rockford? You mean Richford?
I assume so, but does it really matter? The point is that CM&Q is running locals down the line towards Newport on a regular basis to serve customers.
 #1366623  by csx2039

That's ok CMQ can pay the car hire on the loads that sit in Farnham for days because they don't have enough crews or reliable power to get them switched out and on their way to vtr... I know vtr has run 2 southbound jobs out of Newport on the last 2 Thursdays to not let the excess traffic that has built up in farnham sit any further then it already has in cmq hands, Because of Vrs dedicated people traffic does not sit in newport for the weekend, AND the customers are noticing. Keeping the traffic moving AND saving their company any excess car hire... CN if you really are privy to info as you would say, I'm sure you are aware of these problems despite your attempts to sugar coat them... BTW while I am no fan of necr they have been moving southbound loads very well over the last few weeks despite your claims of them leaving cars for days. Yes, About a year ago they were terrible, but have greatly improved over the last year. Appearantly cars for a certain customer in southern new England that went south on vtr on a Friday were being unloaded at the customer Monday morning... a testament to the great service of the VTR and Necr cooperation... I'll stop calling out CMQ when they start delivering what they promised. So far they have not, while 3 trips a week to making vtr interchange is better then the 1-2 they were doing, cars are still dwelling in farnham for days. ... If vtr and Necr can make seamless connections, why can't CMQ?

Cn, you claim to be in the know, is there even a plan in place to remedy this issue? Hire more people in Farnham? More 4 axle power? Or will you just come back with another demeaning comment about how I am nothing but a retarded buffy whose frustrated that the trains are infrequent and small? Which is funny...

Go Patriots!
 #1366633  by fogg1703

Mr csx2039
I don't think anyone disagrees that CMQ could be doing a better job at servicing the interchange at Newport, but by your derogatory comments at every rebuttal or report of activity makes your posts cumbersome and frankly tiring. If service is down to 1-2 days/week cars are going to sit in Farhnam. If your employer is suffering from poor service and transportation costs are increasing due to fees, I suggest taking it up with the proper channels at CMQ as it doesn't appear anyone reading this thread can affect the change your looking for. In the meantime if your able to report on movements in your area, please post for the benefit of others. The ugliness that this thread has become is becoming unpleasant and unreadable.
 #1366655  by csx2039

Fogg, we have tried to talk to CMQ, and you would be surprised who comes on here and reads these posts, it does make a difference, I have nothing personal against the company, and want them to succeed down here. I do. Success is not attained in the current status quo... traffic sitting in farnham for days is detrimental to growth on this route. While I apologize that our dissatisfaction with CMQ has my negativity getting the best of me, I do look forward to consistent 5 day a week service and a seamless farnham connection as we were promised, when and if this ever occurs....
 #1366661  by CN9634

My point has been that it has been happening on a few occasions, and very often at least 4 times a week. In any case, I apologize for furthering this nonsense but if there are those interested, I can try to keep posting Vermont trips and other sightings