Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Activity and Sightings

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1319932  by csx2039

CMQ service continues to spiral south, no power, not enough crews, and VERY unhappy customers, cars sitting for weeks on end. Rumors of more power to come but no confirmation...
 #1319933  by CN9634

csx2039 wrote:CMQ service continues to spiral south, no power, not enough crews, and VERY unhappy customers, cars sitting for weeks on end. Rumors of more power to come but no confirmation...
Vermont local work is now outsourced to VRS
 #1320042  by oat324

I really wish Irving and the NBSR would just take over the CMQ. Sounds like CMQ is just there to liquidate the property and sell it to the scrappers. I hope their was a clause in the sale that would force CMQ to sell if they didn't live up to their end of the deal of better service and track maintenance.
 #1320090  by csx2039

VRS only switching customers in Newport yard, Customers in Richford VT, (Blue Seal and Kaytec) are still stuck in no mans land. CMQ still can not get the cars to Newport so VRS can switch them. CMQ could learn a few things from the fellas at VRS. VRS has VERY Good customer service. They are as good as CMQ is bad.
 #1320097  by MEC407

Is CMQ performing worse than MMA pre-Megantic?
 #1320133  by csx2039

MEC407 wrote:Is CMQ performing worse than MMA pre-Megantic?

Unfortunately yes, MM&A actually is starting to look pretty good compared to Giles new catastrophe. Customers actually didn't mind MM&A, they at least tried to move the cars most of the time. I still say PAN AM and CMQ are in the running to see who can provide the crappiest service.
 #1320139  by MEC407

Wow...
 #1320148  by trainsinmaine

I confess I don't get it. Here is a company that got off to a good start, everything looking up, and within months everything has gone south. What's the story --- poor management? Winter weather factors? Inadequate cash flow? All of the above, or none?
 #1320199  by CN9634

Its much too early to pass judgement and its not like everyone here understands how to manage customers, people and equipment while conforming to all rules and regulations.
 #1320244  by KSmitty

Whats amazing is the reported abysmal service on the Canadian side. Things in the US, at least on the B&A portion, seem to be running pretty reliably. Daily round trips between NMJ and Brownville. 2-3/week to Searsport which is what MM&A was doing pre-bankruptcy. How can operations on the 2 halves be so different?
 #1320245  by csx2039

CN9634 wrote:Its much too early to pass judgement and its not like everyone here understands how to manage customers, people and equipment while conforming to all rules and regulations.
I challenge that
 #1320251  by CN9634

csx2039 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Its much too early to pass judgement and its not like everyone here understands how to manage customers, people and equipment while conforming to all rules and regulations.
I challenge that
Listen, they aren't going to create a substantial change over night and they are just getting through their first winter in Maine... as much as the employees are used to it, management is not. They are adjusting their strategy and doing certain things very slowly, and others quite rapidly. They made some investment this past year and have some more on the books for this year. Also, there is some more freight customers in the pipeline as well so give them more time. I would say after the second year you could probably tell whether or not they are going to whiff on this. And they still have the ace up their sleeve if they are looking to seriously pursue the blessing & a curse crude oil traffic. Give it time
 #1320252  by CN9634

CN9634 wrote:
csx2039 wrote:
I challenge that
Listen, they aren't going to create a substantial change over night and they are just getting through their first winter in Maine... as much as the employees are used to it, management is not. They are adjusting their strategy and doing certain things very slowly, and others quite rapidly. They made some investment this past year and have some more on the books for this year. Also, there are some more freight customers in the pipeline as well so give them more time. I would say after the second year you could probably tell whether or not they are going to whiff on this. And they still have the ace up their sleeve if they are looking to seriously pursue the blessing & a curse crude oil traffic. Give it time. Besides, what is your measure of performance? They may be missing service in the short term but right on track with other projects and concerns of higher priorities. You'll hear prioritization a lot in this industry and sadly other places can suffer from it. The goal of the Vermont operation may not be indicative of the goal of the system as a whole, as I have heard nothing but good service reports for customers in Maine and Quebec.
 #1320255  by csx2039

CN9634 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:
csx2039 wrote:
I challenge that
Listen, they aren't going to create a substantial change over night and they are just getting through their first winter in Maine... as much as the employees are used to it, management is not. They are adjusting their strategy and doing certain things very slowly, and others quite rapidly. They made some investment this past year and have some more on the books for this year. Also, there are some more freight customers in the pipeline as well so give them more time. I would say after the second year you could probably tell whether or not they are going to whiff on this. And they still have the ace up their sleeve if they are looking to seriously pursue the blessing & a curse crude oil traffic. Give it time. Besides, what is your measure of performance? They may be missing service in the short term but right on track with other projects and concerns of higher priorities. You'll hear prioritization a lot in this industry and sadly other places can suffer from it. The goal of the Vermont operation may not be indicative of the goal of the system as a whole, as I have heard nothing but good service reports for customers in Maine and Quebec.
Try talking to Vermont customers and you'll sing a different tune. The damage has already been done.
 #1320259  by CPF363

It is too bad CP Rail abandoned the Beebe Subdivision between Lennoxville and Newport. For trains from the Maine and the Maritimes, this would have allowed traffic to head south to Vermont verses running west to Farnham. The existing route through Richford worked well for CP interchange traffic from the west to the B&M in Wells River while the Beebe Subdivision would have fit overall better into the CMQ system from the east.