Railroad Forums 

• MMA Locomotive Auction

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1283775  by trainiac

Mr. Eby, are you a locomotive expert, and did you work at MMA maintaining their locomotives?? I didn't think so.
Did I say something? You're right, I have never worked for the MMA, and I don't pretend to be familiar with locomotive maintenance - but please, at least check my website before attacking my familiarity with locomotives in general.

I was merely reflecting on what the auction site was was saying, and how after seeing all 20 of the auctioned C30-7 and B39-8E units in active service (almost all of them within the last 3-4 years) I was surprised to see so many described on the auction site as "scrap". I was also simply reflecting on how some of the CITX SD40-2's now being used were originally SD40's built for CP and SP in 1966-1967.
 #1285808  by GP40MC1118

Saw a couple guys with NRE hats in the article photos, but other than the
scrap company mentioned in the article, no other names.

Hopefully we'll get to know what went where...

D
 #1285810  by MEC407

Based on the video, it sounded like one of the 3600s sold for $85,000. That's a surprisingly high price, keeping in mind that ex-UP Dash 8-40Cs in better condition have sold for less than that within the past year or two.
 #1285853  by KSmitty

http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/it ... operators/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And fair use:
"The successful auction of 35 Montreal, Maine and Atlantic and Rail World Inc. locomotives drew close to 40 railway operators, scrap dealers and railway parts suppliers in person and via the Internet, said Adam Jokisch, president and CEO of Adam’s Auction and Real Estate Services.

The auction was held at the Derby Rail Yard.

Jokisch declined to say how much the auction earned. Lac-Megantic City Councilor Daniel Gendron, who traveled about 175 miles by motorcycle to attend, said the sale appeared to gross about $2.05 million."
 #1286459  by Tom Tancula

The F3A, #502, was not auctioned, is stored under cover less traction motors. It needs some body rust work and two power assemblies. I do not know if CMQ is going to sell this or not.

Left on property is a former DL&W 99 lettered as BELFORD. Privately owned and not sure if it is for sale.

Several ex-VIA Rail cars are still at Derby. These were passed into MMA ownership as part of the B&A bankruptcy and are now owned by CMQ. I do not know if CMQ is going to sell these or not.

Former BAR boat tail business car Burnt Hill (Ex GN or Ex NP?) is still at Derby. This car too was passed into MMA ownership as part of the B&A bankruptcy and is now owned by CMQ. I do not know if CMQ is going to sell this or not.
 #1286470  by riffian

Burnt Hill is former Northern Pacific 5 double bedroom, observation buffet lounge Spokane Club. Off the North Coast Limited, of course...
 #1286474  by MEC407

I'll be especially curious to find out where the F40s end up. Most of them were in very good shape if I recall correctly. Also very curious about the GEs that sold in the $60K to $100K+ range. That's more than scrap value and would seem to indicate that someone intends to operate them.
 #1286499  by therudycometh

FYI - the three GP7's and the GP9 did NOT go to scrappers (as was reported incorrectly on RYPN) - there will be more information forthcoming in the next couple days!
 #1286561  by therudycometh

Wow, you beat me to it!

Anyway, here's the link to the thread in the M&E section: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4&t=157082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;