• CMQ Operations

  • Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

  • 180 posts
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 12
  by fogg1703
 
Thanks CN. Another sign of the long way to go for CMQ to rebuilt not just the infrastructure but trust in moving freight in the Eastern Townships.
  by oibu
 
So is there any regularity to CMQR operations? I.e., certain trains runs certain days/times, or is it all just whenever/as needed? I knlow trains are moving through from the west again, but how frequent/regular are the trains and how much traffic is actually coming through via the Canadian routing?
  by Townshipfarmer
 
Trains in the townships have been running pretty regular. Mostly at night though. The Newport sub sees two or three trips to Newport and back a week.
  by fogg1703
 
Is there a job based in Newport? Seeing pictures on Nerail by Richard Deuso of WACR units switching Poulin Grain and Columbia Forest Products recently and was wondering if CMQ contracted with WACR to switch them out and save a crew?

Here are the pictures
WACR switching Poulin grain
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... 20Railroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WACR enroute to Columbia Forest Products
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... 20Railroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Richard Deuso for posting some great pictures.
  by NHV 669
 
fogg1703 wrote:Is there a job based in Newport? Seeing pictures on Nerail by Richard Deuso of WACR units switching Poulin Grain and Columbia Forest Products recently and was wondering if CMQ contracted with WACR to switch them out and save a crew?
Nonexistant service provided by CMQ that day, VRS had to make up their train too
  by CN9634
 
Since there isn't quite an official NBSR thread (although they are much larger than CMQ now and I would guess with their three lines combined are would approach Class II status) I figured since part of CMQ's operations will probably involve the idea of running intermodal out of the port of Saint John, have a look here:

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/major-expans ... -1.2186236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gpp111
 
Panamax ships require a channel that is at least 50 feet deep. I do not believe St. John has a channel nearly that deep.
  by fogg1703
 
NHV 669 wrote:Nonexistant service provided by CMQ that day, VRS had to make up their train too
Interesting. Does VRS send the bill to CMQ for the switch or does VRS get to cut CMQ out of the waybill?
  by csx2039
 
CMQs Vermont service has been nothing short of atrocious, VERY unhappy customers. They have only been averaging 1 trip to Newport per week when MM&A was averaging 3-5 after Megantic. 5 before. Lots of empty promises from management, Local traffic has pretty much evaporated with through business not far behind it...
  by Townshipfarmer
 
They just put a lot of money in the Newport sub over the summer and they finally got the trains running at a decent speed why would they be cutting back on service? There was talk of removing the siding in Highwater but they ended up leaving it. They did remove the switch east of the 243. The siding can only be accessed by the west side of the 243 now. I believe it was the only siding left on the canadian section south of Cowansville.
  by Fritz
 
Hello,
Yes, CMQ service last fall was atrocious as CSX2039 noted. At one point, I heard that they made only one round-trip(!) from Farnham to Newport in three weeks. And, yes, the customers were rightly disappointed and, unfortunately, many turned to trucks, rather than relying on unreliable rail service. That being said, I have seen the train count sheet for December, and they did make 8 round-trips to Newport and back (two trips every week, except 1 trip during Christmas week) and 2 trips the first week of January as well. Like townshipfarmer, I too have been wondering why they put so much money into rehabbing the Newport Sub if they were not going to provide good and dependable service to both their through and local customers. Let's hope that this was just an unfortunate part of the new owners "getting their feet wet". I have also heard rumors that the CMQ will be contracting out their local switching in Newport to the VRS. I cannot confirm this rumor, but it is clear that the VRS is frequently doing the CMQ's local switching in Newport. As a side note, the CMQ sent 11 and 9 cars south on the WACR this week.
Cheers,
Fritz
  by Townshipfarmer
 
Is it possible they are short on locomotives? Farnham has been pretty quite lately.
  by CN9634
 
Fritz wrote:Hello,
Yes, CMQ service last fall was atrocious as CSX2039 noted. At one point, I heard that they made only one round-trip(!) from Farnham to Newport in three weeks. And, yes, the customers were rightly disappointed and, unfortunately, many turned to trucks, rather than relying on unreliable rail service. That being said, I have seen the train count sheet for December, and they did make 8 round-trips to Newport and back (two trips every week, except 1 trip during Christmas week) and 2 trips the first week of January as well. Like townshipfarmer, I too have been wondering why they put so much money into rehabbing the Newport Sub if they were not going to provide good and dependable service to both their through and local customers. Let's hope that this was just an unfortunate part of the new owners "getting their feet wet". I have also heard rumors that the CMQ will be contracting out their local switching in Newport to the VRS. I cannot confirm this rumor, but it is clear that the VRS is frequently doing the CMQ's local switching in Newport. As a side note, the CMQ sent 11 and 9 cars south on the WACR this week.
Cheers,
Fritz
Word on the street is VRS to Farnham
  by csx2039
 
Word on the street is VRS to Farnham
Just another rumor... Funny thing is it actually would make sense, Probably because said traffic that was supposed to materialized never did and won't be anytime soon. Now they are losing money with big investment and no prospect of making $ with the Newport sub. On the bright side, with VRS the customers would get good service for once...

Guess we'll have to wait and see, Don't forget about the cert of Fitness to operate in Canada... Expensive and time consuming
  by CN9634
 
Welcome to the Forum! Rome wasn't built in a day and there is a grand plan. Granted, I'm not on the ground with operations but these poor customers have had one hell of a year (plus).
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 12