Railroad Forums 

• What's next for MMA?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1246293  by gokeefe

CN9634 wrote:Some of the units on the MMA are already meeting the torch at Derby. A few of the C30-7s and the C39-8 that never ran. I imagine they are cleaning house before the big switch in March.
Wow. Things are moving right along.
 #1246373  by bobw59

I see on the Wheeling & Lake Erie boards that MMA 758 is now on the WLE. I've seen photos of it in Brewster with the MMA markings blanked out.
 #1246374  by F-line to Dudley via Park

gokeefe wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Some of the units on the MMA are already meeting the torch at Derby. A few of the C30-7s and the C39-8 that never ran. I imagine they are cleaning house before the big switch in March.
Wow. Things are moving right along.
Wouldn't be surprised if there's a clause in there on p. 327, footnote 23 saying they have to take out the trash before they clear out. Fortress has the resources to bring in much more reliable power if it needs it; they don't need to waste their time trying to breathe new life into steel ruins like some podunk shortline would. They'd rather not have a junkyard full of crap to clear out when they arrive...and MMA can use the scrap proceeds in the meantime.
 #1246382  by mtuandrew

Suppose they will stay a primarily-GE line, or switch to EMD? I've been told by a Class III CMO that GEs require more maintenance and the parts aren't always as cheap, but the capital cost is lower and they use nearly half as much fuel.
 #1246388  by CN9634

mtuandrew wrote:Suppose they will stay a primarily-GE line, or switch to EMD? I've been told by a Class III CMO that GEs require more maintenance and the parts aren't always as cheap, but the capital cost is lower and they use nearly half as much fuel.
I'm almost certain you will see second-hand EMDs back on this line.
 #1246399  by MEC407

mtuandrew wrote:I've been told by a Class III CMO that GEs require more maintenance and the parts aren't always as cheap, but the capital cost is lower and they use nearly half as much fuel.
I think that's a fairly accurate statement. They are definitely more fuel efficient, and second-hand units are substantially more affordable. As far as maintenance/reliability is concerned, it depends on which EMDs you're comparing them to. SD40-2s/GP40-2s are pretty much the gold standard of reliability; SD50s, SD75s, SD90s, not so much. With that in mind, SD40-2s are one of the best bargains going right now, so it basically boils down to which "religion" the Fortress/RRAH CMO believes in.

There's also nothing wrong with going both ways. We've seen Providence & Worcester do that for many years and it has worked out quite well for them. I don't think anyone has ever accused P&W of being a poorly-run railroad.

The new railroad could pick up some very affordable Dash 8-40Cs for long-haul road trains, and EMD GPs for locals, yards, etc. There's a lot to be said for using the right tool for the job.
 #1246410  by dowlingm

I know MMA picked up two ex AMT F40s with a view to regearing them. Don't know if they made it into service or not?
 #1246424  by MEC407

From the Bangor Daily News:
Bangor Daily News wrote:The Searsport dredging project carries implications for the rail industry as well, as train tracks tie the port to much of Maine, the Canadian provinces and the Midwest. Bernhardt said the state is closely watching Maine, Montreal and Atlantic Railway’s bankruptcy sale to Fortress Investment Group.

Fortress has significant capital and, according to Bernhardt, a “commitment to make this work.”

Fortress has said little about its plans for MM&A’s rail network, and Bernhardt said he hopes those plans won’t involve abandoning the tracks in the future. To this point, there’s been no indication that is part of Fortress’ plan, he said.

Investments in railway improvements will be vital to Maine’s trade and industry future, according to Bernhardt. Dredging the port will bring more goods for Maine’s rail industry to transport and ease its recent struggles, he added.
Read the rest of the article at: http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/29/b ... ent-group/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1246449  by CN9634

There was much more talk about rail at the forum then the newspaper article gives credit to. Probably about an hour worth of Searsport, and 30 minutes on rail and Searsport-related rail prospects. All in all it was a good discusion (And the food was pretty good too)
 #1246477  by mwhite

While there was quite a bit of the presentation on why the MMA route is important to connect Searsport to Montreal, I had hoped to hear more on what it would take to upgrade the route to make it competitive. That said it was a very informative meeting overall and very well attended.
 #1246604  by MEC407

mtuandrew wrote:Suppose they will stay a primarily-GE line, or switch to EMD?
It was announced today that Florida East Coast is purchasing 24 new GE Evolution Series locomotives. This could potentially render a large number of FEC's existing EMDs as surplus. It wouldn't be shocking if those EMDs end up on the ex-MMA lines.

Edit: FEC units coming north may not be such a sure thing. It was mentioned in the FEC forum by RAILROAD.NET member Noel Weaver that FEC will most likely be returning their SD70M-2s to the lessor once the GEs are in service... so they may not have as big of a locomotive surplus as I thought.
 #1246916  by MEC407

From The Portland Press Herald:
The Portland Press Herald wrote:The friendly phase of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway bankruptcy is over.

Lawyers at a hearing Friday arguing whether to consolidate 20 related wrongful-death cases and move them to Maine said it is likely that various companies involved in the massive Chapter 11 reorganization case will begin filing lawsuits against each other.

Their goal will be to divert blame away from themselves for a July 6 derailment and explosion of a train loaded with crude oil that killed 47 people, injured countless others and destroyed 40 buildings in the heart of Lac-Megantic, Quebec.

Parties listed as defendants in the wrongful-death cases include companies that drilled the oil, labeled and loaded it onto the train, built the rail cars, leased the cars, built the engine, and operated the train.

Each of those parties will try to place blame for the disaster on the others, lawyers at the hearing said.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine_r ... suits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1247352  by neman2

Today's (2/2/14) Pan Am train POSE had 35 MMA box cars at the end of the train when it went through Westford, Ma today.
 #1247370  by CN9634

Heading to Progress Rail in KY. Keep an eye out for MMA #1, no idea where it went but this is the same series that are moving (PS 5344)
 #1247381  by neman2

CN9634 wrote:Heading to Progress Rail in KY. Keep an eye out for MMA #1, no idea where it went but this is the same series that are moving (PS 5344)
I'm confused what is MMA #1 and PS 5344 ?