Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak in Transition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1242911  by Woody

Congress in its wisdom stepping in to fill the management vacuum in Amtrak.

The new budget,
FY 2014 Omnibus–Transportation, Housing and Urban Development Appropriations,
highlights as per House Transportation Chairman Hal Rogers, R of KY:

"Trains - The Federal Railroad Administration is funded at $1.6 billion,
a decrease of $34.6 million below the fiscal year 2013 enacted level.
The bill expands oversight and includes policy reforms for Amtrak
to ensure the best use of tax dollars – such as requiring overtime limits
on Amtrak employees to reduce unnecessary costs, and prohibiting
federal funding for routes where Amtrak offers a discount of 50%
or more off normal, peak fares. No funding is provided for
High Speed Rail.
" (emphasis in original)

Well, take that!, California. LOL. And the NEC, too, suckers.

=========================================

Not seeing anything in his report on Amtrak. Perhaps the worst it yet to come.
 #1242961  by afiggatt

Woody wrote:Congress in its wisdom stepping in to fill the management vacuum in Amtrak.
Well, take that!, California. LOL. And the NEC, too, suckers.

=========================================

Not seeing anything in his report on Amtrak. Perhaps the worst it yet to come.
Nothing new anymore about the House Republicans making a point to kill any new funding for anything that smacks of "HSR". However, Amtrak is to get $1.39 billion total in FY14 funds, which is $47 million more than the sequestered FY13 amounts. A lot less than Amtrak or the Administration requested, but far better than the slash and burn budget the House proposed earlier. See the FY14 appropriations threads for details on the amounts.

FY14 will have $600 million for TIGER grants and some of that is likely to go to a few intercity passenger rail projects.
 #1243007  by Suburban Station

given that amtrak's capital budget actually grew, it oddly seems like congress is stepping off the micromanager pedal and leaving it up to amtrak on how to spend it (excepting the ada portion)
 #1243156  by gokeefe

Don't forget that's just the House version. It's what comes out of the conference report that counts.
 #1243212  by afiggatt

gokeefe wrote:Don't forget that's just the House version. It's what comes out of the conference report that counts.
No, the FY14 amounts are in the omnibus appropriations bill that was hammered out in joint committee conferences between the House and Senate over the past month. Unless there is a floor amendment, the $1.39 billion is what Amtrak will get for FY14. The House is supposed to vote on the omnibus bill today and the Senate later in the week. If the bill is to be stalled, it would be in the Senate which needs 60 votes to invoke cloture so the bill can be voted on.

The budget agreement was a 2 year deal which set the total non-DOD FY15 discretionary spending at almost the same levels as FY14. Unless there is a big infrastructure and transportation revenue and funding deal made in CY2014 - unlikely, but not completely impossible - odds are that Amtrak will receive the same funding amounts in FY15. While Amtrak can ask for more and it will in the FY15 request, it means Amtrak managers can plan for $800 million in capital grant funds each year for the next 2 fiscal years. They will also have $81 million in Sandy relief funds to draw on for flood and weather protection for the NEC.
 #1243217  by gokeefe

Thanks for the clarification! I had a feeling I was wrong almost as soon as I posted but didn't go back and edit.
 #1243324  by jstolberg

In any economic activity there is money to be made by identifying the bottlenecks and alleviating them. If the bottleneck is limited pipeline capacity out of North Dakota for crude oil, money can be made by alleviating it with railroad tank cars. If the bottleneck is long lines at airport checkpoints, money can be made by time-competitive rail. If the bottleneck is limited shipping capacity through the Panama Canal, money can be made by transcontinental double-stack trains. If the bottleneck is limited seating capacity on trains out of New York City, money can be made by fixing up old passenger cars and adding them to trains at critical times.

All of these examples are history. As airports reduce lines for frequent travelers at checkpoints, as Panama triples the size of their locks, as Amtrak runs out of old passenger cars to fix up, the bottlenecks change and new solutions are needed.

As far as track capacity is concerned, Amtrak is just like all the other Class I railroads. I can not think of a single Class I that can say, "Oh, we have plenty of spare capacity." Slots are in high demand. It doesn't matter whether you are talking the Hudson tubes, CSX south of Washington, Donner pass, Tower 55, south of the lake, Cascades tunnel or the Tehachapi loop. All Class 1s have opportunities to increase revenues by alleviating track bottlenecks. Amtrak has identified significant bottlenecks beneath the Hudson, across the Portal Bridge and through Baltimore.

Amtrak has identified other bottlenecks related to sleeper capacity and high speed rail seating and is working to alleviate them. When all sleeping accommodations are sold out for a week or more in advance, that's a bottleneck. The Viewliner II order should increase the number of beds available on single-level long-distance trains by over half. The RFP for replacement of the Acelas will propose almost doubling the number of high-speed seats available.

Other bottlenecks relate to boarding. California has identified the step boxes as a bottleneck and requires two low-level doors per car. Level boarding platforms also reduce delays. NYP still has delays due to limited platform area and passenger queuing. Loading skis, wheelchairs and bicycles can cause delays.

Under the leadership of Joe Boardman, Amtrak is not content to just continue to operate as they always have, but is actively working to alleviate all of these bottlenecks. Some are more easily solved than others. As each limiting factor is eliminated, another will arise. That's the nature of a network. But as each limiting factor is eliminated, flow increases and with increased flow comes increased revenue. The increased revenue enables further improvements to the remaining limiting factors in the network.

We are seeing that already. Repairing the Amfleets increased passenger ridership and revenue. That put Northeast Regional service in the black and enabled the purchase of new electric locomotives with the knowledge that the revenue stream was sufficient to pay back the loan. The next step will be new diners. The diners will have roll-on/roll-off commissary carts and point-of-sale electronics to reduce inventory and stocking time, and reduce waste and shrinkage. They will be wi-fi capable for improved passenger productivity, will use less energy and require less maintenance. Losses attributable to food and beverage sales should be reduced substantially.

*Edit -- Should have added the conclusion: "All of that enables Amtrak to go further with limited Federal dollars."
 #1244056  by ryanov

Woody wrote:The bill expands oversight and includes policy reforms for Amtrak
on Amtrak employees to reduce unnecessary costs,

OK, isn't overtime supposed to /reduce/ costs, theoretically, because you're working someone overtime instead of paying a second person salary and benefits?
Woody wrote:and prohibiting federal funding for routes where Amtrak offers a discount of 50% or more off normal, peak fares.
This is actually a nasty one, theoretically, and short-sighted. Isn't it quite possible that some of these deeply discounted fares wouldn't be sold at all at a higher price?
 #1244077  by Greg Moore

ryanov wrote:
Woody wrote:The bill expands oversight and includes policy reforms for Amtrak
on Amtrak employees to reduce unnecessary costs,

OK, isn't overtime supposed to /reduce/ costs, theoretically, because you're working someone overtime instead of paying a second person salary and benefits?
It depends. For example, local to me, some fire and police departments have folks making as much (or more) in OT as another FTE would make So I can end up costing more.

In addition, since their pensions are tied in part to their total compensation in their last year(s) of their careers, a lot of them are taking their OT as late in their careers as possible (which given their seniority means they get first crack at it) so this means ultimately their pensions are higher.

Now, this is as much the local politicians fault as the unions, since in at least one city, they've basically put a hiring freeze in effect, but since by law or statute they need X firefighters on staff at a time, they have no choice but to pay them OT.
 #1244114  by Woody

Greg Moore wrote:
ryanov wrote:
Woody wrote:The bill . . . policy reforms . . . requiring overtime limits
on Amtrak employees to reduce unnecessary costs . . .

OK, isn't overtime supposed to /reduce/ costs, theoretically,
because you're working someone overtime instead of paying
a second person salary and benefits?
It depends. . . .

. . . since their pensions are tied in part to their
total compensation in their last year(s) of their careers,
a lot of them are taking their OT as late in their careers
as possible (which, given their seniority, means they get
first crack at it) so this means ultimately their pensions
are higher.

Now, this is as much the local politicians fault as the unions. . . .
I'd forgotten the pension angle.
Once you understand it, you know it can be an ugly racket.

At least with the union for NYC subway workers, it meant
that older, overwhelmingly white employees -- hired back
in the day when blacks, Puerto Ricans, and other citizens
of color couldn't get hired -- on their way out the door grab
the money for higher pensions. Then the agency turns around
and tells the employees still on payroll, hired in more recent
decades, after Civil Rights laws opened up employment
opportunities to blacks, browns, and others, that there's
no funds left for pay increases.

And of course, some ignorant people say there's no race
prejudice left in America. LOL.

Well, I hope the Amtrak pensions do not work the same way.
But when I get flamed for this episode of truth telling, that
will tell me that what I don't want to know is true.
 #1244123  by Woody

jstolberg wrote: . . . Under the leadership of Joe Boardman, Amtrak is
not content to just continue to operate as they always have,
but is actively working to alleviate all of these bottlenecks.

. . . the conclusion: "All of that enables Amtrak to go further
with limited Federal dollars."
Mr Stolberg, sometimes there's such a thing as being
too good for your own good!

After your excellent overview and summation of Amtrak's
overall situation, I couldn't think of anything to add and
no one else did. I feared this thread would be wrapped up
and locked. LOL.

But now we're back to gnawing on OT, race relations, and such,
so I guess the thread will go on. :-D

More seriously, I think Joe Boardman has been doing a fine job.
He's my favorite Republican in this administration. (He's probably
be the highest ranking one left in office, after the Secty of Defense.
Well, I don't even try to keep track of Obama's Republican spy chiefs,
cuz' I know they keep close track of me. LOL.)

But I think it's fair to point out that Boardman has apparently been
supported at every turn by his superiors up the chain of command.
(His predecessors apparently didn't always enjoy such back-up.)
So thanks go also to Joe Szabo at the FRA, Ray LaHood (another
Republican) as Secty of Transportation, "Amtrak Joe" Biden, and
of course, President Obama, for their support of passenger rail
over five years now and counting. And thanks to Congress 2008-2009.
The billions of dollars that were appropriated then for investment
in passenger rail, and still are being spent out, have transformed
Amtrak from a hopeless loser.

Meanwhile Amtrak management and employees have been fixing
the basic stuff like better on-time performance, higher customer
satisfaction, better equipment utilization, extended service like
new trains into Virginia, adding Wi-Fi, etc.

So we've seen much higher ridership and better financial returns.

With this budget bill we seem to have passed the point where
Amtrak was always vulnerable to destruction by its ideological
enemies. Now it has stability -- and with time, a chance to grow.
 #1244130  by markhb

I won't flame you, nor will I try to prove or disprove charges of racism based on the example you provide and without knowing any of the individuals involved. But I will point out that the example you gave is equally an example of what I feel is the root cause of much of the budgetary illness currently facing the country: the Baby Boomers spent all the money on themselves.
 #1244211  by Woody

markhb wrote:

I won't flame you, nor will I try to prove or disprove charges
of racism based on the example you provide and without
knowing any of the individuals involved. But I will point out
is the root cause of much of the budgetary illness currently facing
the country: the Baby Boomers spent all the money on themselves.
Are you sure? Baby Boomers were born 1946 and after.
I don't know the subway workers retirement age, but say,
worst case they began to retire at age 55, that would have
been 2001 and after. I'm pretty sure the great wave of white guy
retirements came in the 1990s.

But I've let myself get way off topic already. Let this drop.

Indeed, the Moderator should delete my posts about retirement scams,
rail related or not, so we can get back to Amtrak.
 #1244217  by gokeefe

I think there are a couple of points worth addressing.

First, the pensions for most of Amtrak's employees are not run by the company but rather through their collective bargaining organizations (unions). Amtrak pays amounts as specified in the CBAs to the respective craft pension trust funds and also to the Railroad Retirement Board. So at least in this instance the example as discussed likely does not apply. As Amtrak continues to move forward this is one aspect of their operation that appears unlikely to change.

In regards to appropriations etc. I think credit is due to Congress for creating Amtrak in the first place and keeping it running for the last 40+ years. Some years that has been a bipartisan effort and in other years not so much. But in general there have been multiple programs over the decades that have worked very hard to get Amtrak's physical plant and fiscal house in order. The PRIIA payments to exercise the Early Buyout Options would be one example, the Section 209 formula would be another, and the ongoing TIGER program a third. Earlier in Amtrak's history the Northeast Corridor Improvement Program (NECIP) would have been a good example as well. The TIGER program in particular is starting to become one of the single most significant infrastructure investment programs for Amtrak and is supporting improved rail passenger service all over the country to include areas not otherwise served by the Northeast Corridor and its branches.

In regards to stability I think the PRIIA Section 209 formula is probably a very significant aspect of Amtrak's future and will make new service startups more likely because of the perception of consistent and equal treatment of state sponsored services. This stability is necessary in order to allow other states to justify expenditures for operations should they be interested in starting new service.
 #1380962  by gokeefe

After several years of record breaking ridership Amtrak has entered a new phase and I think it calls for a post to this topic.

1. Introduction

Today, in what seemed to be a surprise move, Thruway service to and from Wichita starting immediately was announced ending a 37 year service drought for Amtrak in this community. This comes on top of announced through car service to on the Southwest Chief to Pueblo, Colorado and the potential resumption of service between New Orleans and Orlando as a state sponsored corridor. The San Joaquin, one of Amtrak California's most successful services will soon be adding a seventh roundtrip (its first additional service since 2002) which will better enable passenger to connect with the California Zephyr.

As mentioned in the long distance route restoration thread and the past Texas service thread Amtrak also had the following to say in the FY '16 Budget, Business Plan, and FY '17 Budget Justification and Five Year Plan (See PDF Page 62 of 164)
In addition to driving savings through efficiencies, Long Distance is also exploring how to increase revenue, in ways that result in improved gross margin to the business line. One option under consideration is a reconfiguration of existing service to serve a wider area in Texas and across the southern states.
The reconfiguration of service appears to be underway now and the focus seems to be on trimming major inefficiencies and underserved populations in the Sun Belt. It is very notable that several of these changes involve some of the first additions to the configuration of the Long Distance network since 1998. The through car to Pueblo is a watershed in that regard.

Also as discussed in the route restoration thread Amtrak received $20,000,000 as a result of the passage of the FAST Act in December 2015 to "restore and enhance passenger service". The reopening of service to and from Wichita may be one of the first outcomes of this program. Amtrak has also had major success in reducing their annual losses and requirements for appropriations. Some of these improvements, such as the change from a loss to a profit for the Northeast Regional service are likely related to ongoing State of Good Repair work on the Northeast Corridor.

Others, such as the reduction in Food and Beverage service losses are the result of technology implementation, new rolling stock acquisition and service model changes. The elimination of the diner on the Silver Star has been discussed extensively in this forum and also appears to be receiving a significant amount of attention from the highest levels of Amtrak. It was discussed at some length (comparative to other subjects) in the FY 2016 Business Plan.

2. Transition I: From Service & Amenties to Ridership and Growth

The transition that Amtrak appears to be continuing through is two fold. First is a transition in service models. Amtrak is focused on ridership now more than ever before. Previous administrations at Amtrak focused heavily on service levels and amenities. Acela is without question the shining star of the leadership in this era. But the problem then was to translate Acela's extraordinary success to improvements and growth elsewhere in Amtrak's conventional speed trains. One of the very early successes of this transition was the improvement of the Northeast Regional trains to an operating profit. An extraordinary achievement for conventionally powered and operated service unheard of since the heyday of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Where these efforts failed, especially in the early 2000's was on much of the rest of Amtrak's system, in particular the Long Distance western transcontinentals, the Atlantic Coast Service and the Middle America trunk services (City of New Orleans and the Texas Eagle). Amtrak was not able to "plush" their way out of the problems, nor could they "ship" their way out of the problems by adopting Mail & Express service as part of their operating model. This conundrum yet again brought up the problems so carefully described by David Morgan in his seminal article, "Who Shot the Passenger Train?".

The answer as it turns out was corridor services. Amtrak's corridor services were growing and added on to in earnest over the course of the 2000s starting with the Downeaster in 2001 and extending to other services throughout the next 15 years. States added on frequencies, route miles, stations and trains at a rate that was almost analogous to passenger train losses during the late 1950s and early 1960s when some of the smaller Class I railroads were beginning to exit the passenger train business entirely.

The growth during this period has been supported by extraordinary trends in American transportation unheard of in the lifetimes of almost every American alive today. Declines in miles driven by car, sustained high energy prices that make car travel exceptionally expensive, and a capacity crunch on airliners combined with continuing security challenges in the aviation industry that made train travel notable for its convenience, exceptional service levels and average total travel time.

Amtrak has responded to these challenges during the past 10 years by sustaining their Long Distance services at present levels, retrenching on some amenities, focusing on daytime service, especially corridors with large intermediate ridership populations, and perhaps most significantly putting a financial cornerstone in place through nearly flawless performance in their premium high speed service product in the Northeast.

This transition from a service and amenity focus to a ridership and transportation focus has richly rewarded the company with its highest ridership of all time, vastly increased revenues and finally, perhaps for the first time in company history, some breathing room to refocus their national network services, especially those in Texas and the South on better serving the communities they run through. Getting to this position has taken a tremendous amount of hard work both for Amtrak and its political supporters. The second transition they appear to be working on now may be significantly more difficult and take longer but in the end it will be well worth it.

3. Transition II: Balanced National Growth & The Sun Belt

The second transition for Amtrak involves their geographic focus. I believe that the changes now underway, especially those discussed at the beginning of this post are an indication that Amtrak wants to vastly improve their service provision to Middle America. During much of its 40+ year history to this point Amtrak has best served the Atlantic and the Pacific coasts. Clearly these areas have the population centers to merit the levels of service now present. This also was part of Amtrak's continuing efforts to stabilize rail passenger service in accordance with their charter mandate from Congress to takeover national rail passenger service and to run it in an efficient manner that preserved service in as many communities as possible. We can say now conclusively that Amtrak has in fact finally achieved the mandate they were given in 1971 and they have undeniably proven that the passenger train has a place in the American transportation system that will endure for the indefinite future.

The change that Amtrak has been unable to keep up with has been the explosive population growth in the Sun Belt. In 1971 when Amtrak began service Atlanta had approximately 1.7 million people living in the metro area. In 2010 Atlanta had 5.2 million people living in the metro area a three fold increase in population over 40 years. In this time Amtrak has continued to serve Atlanta with a minimal number of trains and consequently has a paltry 85,252 annual riders 37% less than Portland, Maine with a combined metro population of 519 thousand people in 2010, less than one tenth the size of Atlanta and not even large enough to be considered one of the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the country.

This transition in focus, to a balanced service growth throughout the country especially in the South, started with the extension of Northeast Regional service to Lynchburg, Virginia. A surprise success this train disproved a maxim about train travel in the South that had long been held to be true. Specifically that people in the South would not be willing to get out of their cars and ride trains. As with people everywhere once congestion on highways got bad enough and air service either disappeared or became prohibitively expensive train travel was an especially attractive option. The late 2000s context of high energy prices, sold out airplanes, long airport security lines was the boon that Amtrak needed to start making inroads into Virginia and begin to build the supporting conventional service matrix that ultimately will become the backbone of the Southeast High Speed Rail (SEHSR) Corridor.

Amtrak's transition to a broader focus on growth in the South will be difficult. Many of the communities that should see greater service levels are in areas that, like Wichita, have seen little if any service in the past 40+ years since the inception of Amtrak. Passenger facilities have in many cases been demolished and the merger and consolidation process among the Class I railroads has left many cities without railroad tracks near population centers and natural passenger transportation intersections. Additionally the Sun Belt has lower population densities and lower state support both politically and fiscally for service growth. The need however is very great. Southern cities have very large populations with extensive needs for ground transportation options. Many areas, especially Florida have very high concentrations of senior citizens on fixed income and with limited mobility options.

Amtrak will be starting almost quite literally from the rails up in some of these communities with no existing local base of travelers, outdated or nonexistent passenger facilities and minimal political support at the state level. Even worse they will not have their traditional advantage of existing Long Distance service on which to overlay corridor service. There are some significant implications to these challenges but one of them appears to be the importance of using existing transcontinental services to build new corridors.

Two examples of this have recently been seen with the Southwest Chief. The proposed through car extension to Pueblo, which would parallel or replace existing Thruway service, and the more immediate implementation of Thruway service to and from Wichita today, which regardless of its eminent wisdom, has been so fast and so unexpected that one can almost imagine the decision being made over supper last night. Both cities are areas that have been discussed locally for service by Amtrak with the Southwest Chief itself potentially being a target in the event that the train was rerouted over the BNSF Transcon route. This change having been staved off by other communities that stood to lose service and the Boy Scouts of America who needed ready access to their campgrounds in the Southwest proved to give Amtrak the clarity it needed about what to do in order to better serve Wichita.

This "vine and branch" model, where Thruway vines and through car branches are extended off of mainline Long Distance trunks has potential to allow Amtrak to break the logjam of service growth in the South through tried and true rail passenger service models based on convenient, dedicated bus service and where justified through car service that transitions certain corridors from buses to trains and builds potential future service corridors for states to consider funding as the fiscal and political environment allows. This is not the first time Amtrak has attempted to build their services one station, one stop, one bus and one train car at a time. Other notable efforts of this kind failed for a variety of different reasons the connecting service of the North Coast Hiawatha to the Empire Builder.

There are several differences this time but chief among these are Amtrak's vastly improved operations and information management systems, substantially better physical plant conditions on U.S. Class I host railroads and connecting lines, superior mechanical support and shop forces using advanced maintenance management modeling and perhaps most importantly a fleet of proven reliable, uniform equipment that can be counted on in virtually any operating conditions. Amtrak has spent almost 40 years forging their shop forces, operations procedures, customer service department, marketing forces and information technology into the trim and sleek strategically minded operation that it is today.

On A-Day in 1971 Amtrak inherited the contents of the passenger departments of multiple railroads with different operating procedures, craft agreements, equipment, reservations systems and marketing. Although interline ticketing had been standardized by the railroads for decades prior to Amtrak's creation there was little about running a national passenger railroad that Amtrak did not create almost from scratch. In the meantime their services and markets in the Sun Belt withered while the population boomed. Amtrak was hamstrung politically from serving these areas (which did not receive the consequent political benefits of their growth until each decennial census) and also was desperately trying to revive service in the Northeast, hang on to as many trains coming out of Chicago as possible and to keep a sufficient presence on the Pacific coast to support future service beyond basic transcontinental trains coming from the Midwest.

As noted in another thread the cuts made by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation during the Carter administration were especially painful to many trains running to and from the Sun Belt, in particular those serving Texas. After the retreat from the South in 1979 Amtrak would be unable to meaningfully grow the route structure in the South again until the late 2000s when the Lynchburg Northeast Regional and other extended trains in Virginia along with the success of the Piedmont service in North Carolina opened up the future to possibilities that were previously unimaginable and in some cases believed by many to be permanently foreclosed upon.

Even the Auto Train long one of Amtrak's most consistently successful services and one of the few trains in the system which is operated entirely in the South has recently has had additional enhancements focused on ridership, and revenue which have almost single handedly brought the train to break even status despite its generally more lavish amenities and service levels compared to other Long Distance trains.

4. Expectations & Conclusion

Given these long term shifts in focus by Amtrak which almost certainly appear likely to result in new service it seems appropriate to set out some expectations from my own analytical perspective about potential service changes that could be coming in the near future.

Perhaps the biggest of these will be changes to Amtrak's services in Texas. The current Long Distance service which uses the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle is among the most problematic examples of service in the entire Amtrak system. I expect that Amtrak will make major changes to the Sunset Limited in the near future that will realign the train to better serve Texas in particular. One of the changes that I think would be logical is the initiation of Long Distance service between Atlanta and Dallas using the Union Pacific and Kansas City Southern lines which current form the natural east-west route through Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. The other will be Long Distance service between Atlanta and San Antonio through New Orleans using current track routes of the Union Pacific, CSX and/or Norfolk Southern. Either of these changes could be supported in some shape or form by major changes to the Sunset Limited as currently operated.

Obtaining these agreements will be difficult for Amtrak but when completed as part of a multi-year planning process with good political support from each state's representatives I expect that Amtrak will be successful in building these trains and providing much needed passenger rail service to one of the fastest growing areas of the country. Atlanta will see major station and yard investments along with the construction of necessary maintenance facilities to support a major expansion of passenger rail service in the area. These two parallel trunks will allow Amtrak to build support in online communities for greater investments and improvements that will allow the development of high frequency passenger rail corridors especially in the large metropolitan areas of eastern Texas.

This Southern Regional service could become the backbone of Amtrak's Sun Belt Service and would greatly enhance Amtrak's ability to serve major American population centers that are greatly in need of improved transportation options to support their continued population growth and to reduce the effects of pollution due to highway congestion and suburban sprawl.

It will be very interesting to watch this continued transformation as it happens (to say the least).