Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Southwest Chief Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1481150  by gokeefe

That's a solid letter, 3/8 Republican including both Senators from Kansas. Colorado has a split delegation and they both signed as well. Both Senators from New Mexico signed along with Sens. Gardner and Harris who I believe are on the Transportation Committee.

The letter also points to funding. This could be readonably assumed to mean that "the undersigned" will make sure that any reasonable application is funded.
 #1481166  by Gilbert B Norman

"The rest of the story":

Heinrich (D-NM)
Durbin (D-IL)
Roberts (R-KA)
Moran (R-KA)
Duckworth (D-IL)
Udall (D-NM)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Bennet (D-CO)
Gardner (R-CO)
Harris (D-CA)

3 Pachys
7 UNOWATS
No one from IA, MO, AZ, but both from each signatory state.

"We report, you decide"
 #1481185  by gokeefe

I wondered about that as well ... I think the answer is that they pursued Senators from the most affected areas. The other states would not necessarily loose anything. Colorado and Kansas in particular would be screwed.
Last edited by gokeefe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1481188  by bretton88

So Anderson basically just did what every private sector boss does. He made threats about the SWC, the politicians caved and here comes the money. Seems like every stadium/HQ/airline negotiation here.
 #1481193  by electricron

How many times will they cave? Do you really believe more maintenance will not be needed next year, the year after, or the year after that? Trains are like boats, there's a hole somewhere that continuously needs filling with lots of cash. The key word in that sentence was continuously!
 #1481196  by Backshophoss

There're 2 or 3 seasons of tie replacement need,as ATSF/BNSF had not done trackwork for a while on the Raton/Glorieta subs with the exception for washout repairs along the Red River,Track inspections,and Signal replacement of the semaphores to color lights.

Also Grade crossing signals maintenance.

If there had been regular tie replacement done as needed,this would have stayed at 80-90 mph for passenger trains,the "saving grace" here is the normally DRY weather in NM and CO that keeps the ties from rotting due to water. however that doesn't stop dry rot in the ties.

As it is BNSF has contracted Herzog to do the Glorieta Pass track inspection from time to time.
 #1481218  by John_Perkowski

Backshophoss wrote:As it is BNSF has contracted Herzog to do the Glorieta Pass track inspection from time to time.
On the Kansas City to Lincoln run, I see Herzegovina trucks as often as I do the converted ATSF business car.
 #1481287  by Backshophoss

At the end of Business today,Lamy closes it's ticket office and becomes unstaffed,SFSR will provide "caretaker" service at Lamy,
reported open hours are from 1:00 PM till 3:00 PM unless train delayed,stay open till the delayed train depts Lamy.
 #1481432  by Backshophoss

Mothballed, not embargoed,did a Private car move in March of this year.
1 unit is still "active" as needed.
NMRX Dispatch handles the "Lamy" sub as needed as well.
 #1481617  by bostontrainguy

WASHINGTON — An amendment to maintain service along Amtrak’s Southwest Chief route passed the U.S. Senate on Wednesday as part of the 2018 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development appropriations bill. The appropriations bill passed on a 92-6 vote.
-Trains
 #1481632  by dgvrengineer

And it contains $50 million to maintain the SWC on that route. Not sure if that is one time money or spread out over a period of years. Also not clear if is in addition to Amtrak funding or must come out of Amtrak's annual funding.
 #1481640  by bretton88

dgvrengineer wrote:And it contains $50 million to maintain the SWC on that route. Not sure if that is one time money or spread out over a period of years. Also not clear if is in addition to Amtrak funding or must come out of Amtrak's annual funding.
I believe it is additional funding into Amtrak's general account specifically earmarked for Raton. The amendment does contain references to FY18, so I think that is for this year, not spread out.
 #1481666  by Backshophoss

Now it's up to the critters in the House to pass or amend this bill,then the conference committee,then the "current occupant of the White House" to sign off.
With a little luck weather wise, Tie replacement work can be done till the end of Oct.

However,expect a showdown over the "Wall"and immigration to screw up the budget process,along with the hearings for the new Justice for
SCOTUS. :(