Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1530088  by mtuandrew

Given enough storage space (which V-II diners have currently) and weight capacity (ditto) it’s possible to serve food on clean china, put the used plates, glasses and tableware in a box, and have an industrial cleaning service do all the dishes post-ride. Uses much less water on-board, creates a lot less trash.
 #1530094  by Alphaboi

lordsigma12345 wrote:It appears flexible dining will be added to the Silver Star on May 1.
Anyone else think it might be a good idea to not include meals in Silver Star sleeper prices, but open the also open Flexible Dining up to coach passengers? It seems to me like it could be a useful experiment, especially given the Silver Meteor overlaps with enough of the route to basically seve as a control group.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#1530123  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm Given enough storage space (which V-II diners have currently) and weight capacity (ditto) it’s possible to serve food on clean china, put the used plates, glasses and tableware in a box, and have an industrial cleaning service do all the dishes post-ride. Uses much less water on-board, creates a lot less trash.
Take that idea and slot it in current Amtrak operations. When a train comes into a station for scheduled restock and crew swap, that's when you pull the trash and swap the china/silverware/glasses (dirty for clean).
 #1530125  by electricron

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:09 pm
mtuandrew wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm Given enough storage space (which V-II diners have currently) and weight capacity (ditto) it’s possible to serve food on clean china, put the used plates, glasses and tableware in a box, and have an industrial cleaning service do all the dishes post-ride. Uses much less water on-board, creates a lot less trash.
Take that idea and slot it in current Amtrak operations. When a train comes into a station for scheduled restock and crew swap, that's when you pull the trash and swap the china/silverware/glasses (dirty for clean).
Either way, you still have to pay someone to wash them, move them around, and restock them back on the trains.

Many prolong Amtrak crew changes take place around meal times. I can see it now, right in the middle of your meal, Amtrak exchanging the china,, glasses, and silverware. Not a good idea at all.

You have all lost the reason why Amtrak has switched to using paper and plastic wares in the first place, to reduce costs.
 #1530129  by mtuandrew

I mean, they’re not gonna take the plates while you’re using them :P

But mid-route meals are why I’d rather exchange tableware at endpoints - NYP, MIA, CHI, NOL, LAX, OAK, SEA. Service facilities would be unnecessary at BOS and POR because the sections that terminate there don’t have diners, and the Capitol Limited crew could seal used plates in a crate in the baggage car for washing in Chicago.

Not sure what to do about dishes on Auto Train since there’s no baggage car. I guess Amtrak could retain on-board dishwashers.
 #1530133  by SouthernRailway

electricron wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:19 pm Many prolong Amtrak crew changes take place around meal times. I can see it now, right in the middle of your meal, Amtrak exchanging the china,, glasses, and silverware. Not a good idea at all.

You have all lost the reason why Amtrak has switched to using paper and plastic wares in the first place, to reduce costs.
Just keep some extra sets of china and glassware on board. Problem solved!
 #1530135  by danib62

Exactly. We need to stop acting like this exact problem hasn’t been solved several times over. Heck the Acela uses real dishes and glasses in first class and doesn’t clean them onboard.
 #1530145  by gokeefe

lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm It appears flexible dining will be added to the Silver Star on May 1.

Hopefully people realize that Anderson's innovation in dining have allowed meals to return to the Silver Star. I think that's a significant improvement in service ...
 #1530156  by SouthernRailway

gokeefe wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:51 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm It appears flexible dining will be added to the Silver Star on May 1.

Hopefully people realize that Anderson's innovation in dining have allowed meals to return to the Silver Star. I think that's a significant improvement in service ...
Yes, it definitely is. But we Amtrak passengers are not orphans in the South Sudan, in dire need of food. We're consumers in a capitalistic country and we can give our dollars to airlines that offer more value for the money, compared to an expensive but non-luxurious sleeping car.
 #1530176  by gokeefe

Very true. My post was more directed at those taking a specific interest in Amtrak and especially the advocacy sector. I think it's important they give credit when and where it's due.
 #1530249  by JoeG

I'm puzzled by the actions about the Star. Amtrak reduced the first class fares on the Star in consideration of their not providing food. That move, to my surprise, increased business. Seems like passengers would rather have the money than Amtrak's current lousy food at fine dining prices.

So, if they are now providing food, have they raised the first class fares?

In any case I didn't see any notice about it. Was there a notice and I just missed it?