Railroad Forums 

• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1046696  by AMTK1007

Tadman wrote:Bob's pic looks like an 80's mail train if there ever was such a thing. 406 is a looker.

I took a few last week. Notice that since 406 is an HEP provider, it still puts out hot exhaust which make it look like it's tugging the train up that grade. The north entrance to CUS is a fun place to watch trains depart now that P42 and MP36 pull trains - since they don't have screamer HEP, the bigger trains (long Metra and 5/6) have to throttle up at the bottom of the hill, then back off at the tight curve at Canal crossing (pictured).
5 & 6?? Yes, they make the rare appearace coming out the North end when detouring, but I believe you are refering to AMERICA"S TRAIN, #s 7 & 8.

NICE photos of the 406 by the way!

And to stay on topic, I have heard that the train will stay together and will be used for special events ( with some changes to the exhibits)
 #1046795  by ThirdRail7

AMTK1007 wrote: And to stay on topic, I have heard that the train will stay together and will be used for special events ( with some changes to the exhibits)
Did the plan change yet again? The bistro is supposed undergo the conversion.
 #1046845  by 25Hz

kitn1mcc wrote:nice vid of the train http://youtu.be/_UsHOkuvpfw

the BL20 was working
Nice horn on that second train with the PV's!
 #1046888  by Gilbert B Norman

"Hickory Creek" through Melrose during real life was on occasion a "happen".

If there was a derailment or other blockage of the Hudson Div, the "Great Steel Fleet" was routed over the Harlem to Chatham (now abandoned North of Wassaic), thence B&A (route of the Lake Shore) to Albany.

"Hickory Creek" East of Woodlawn Jct in "real-life"? Don't think so.
 #1046901  by AMTK1007

ThirdRail7 wrote:
AMTK1007 wrote: And to stay on topic, I have heard that the train will stay together and will be used for special events ( with some changes to the exhibits)
Did the plan change yet again? The bistro is supposed undergo the conversion.
I have not heard what they plan to do with the "Store" car, but the Display cars are suposed to remain in Display service.
 #1046979  by CSX Conductor

acelaphillies wrote:Also, do you know when the 9800 and 10001 will go back to WAS?
The 9800 was used by The New York Yankees on the rear of the Yankees charter (train #881) NYP-WAS on Sunday evening.
 #1047063  by Tadman

Amtk1007, I stand corrected - 7&8. Can't say I've ever seen 5/6 come in from the north, although I once wondered why Amtrak doesn't take a page from Via's book and run all of the big western LD trains thru CUS and back down the rockwell sub, negating the need to turn the consist. Via runs the Canadian into Toronto from one direction, spends the night being serviced, and leaves in the other direction making a loop around town. What's another hour or two on a four-day train...

A few people suggested it might be a few too many rule books to qualify on - makes sense to me.
 #1047134  by AMTK1007

Tadman wrote:Amtk1007, I stand corrected - 7&8. Can't say I've ever seen 5/6 come in from the north, although I once wondered why Amtrak doesn't take a page from Via's book and run all of the big western LD trains thru CUS and back down the rockwell sub, negating the need to turn the consist. Via runs the Canadian into Toronto from one direction, spends the night being serviced, and leaves in the other direction making a loop around town. What's another hour or two on a four-day train...

A few people suggested it might be a few too many rule books to qualify on - makes sense to me.
is is MUCH more efficient to wye on the BN wye then to try to run the Rockwell.... you would spend at a minimum 2-3 HOURS just trying to loop, that is on a good day, and you have to fight all the UP connections to Global 1 and to the NS
 #1047327  by ztechbuilt

Just saw the exhibit cars parked outside 30th with their doors wide open. Are they supposed to be working om them? I know they werejust in NY for nat train day.
 #1047533  by JR4815D2

SEPTAR3kid wrote:According to amtrak's page, it is scheduled to be in Baltimore May 21st-May 22nd...anyone know when it will be moving south from Philly?
That is last year schedule you are looking at. They never had the ehixibit train on display during the week, only weekends