Railroad Forums 

• North Coast Hiawatha - Big Sky Passenger Rail Authority (BSPRA)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1545889  by gokeefe

It's intriguing as always but the maintenance would probably be out of this world due to a lack of spare parts. Constant problems with hardware replacement. Acquisition would be cheap. Operation would be ... a nightmare.

I would take a refreshed Superliner any day of the week with contract inspections and light maintenance in Billings or Spokane (or both). NNEPRA does the same in Brunswick on Amtrak owned equipment. It seems to work really well.

At least the equipment shuttle would be easy because of the connection to the Empire Builder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1545928  by Tadman

Those ex-ATSF cars come up from time to time, and the conclusion I've arrived at is this: for them to be viable in anything other than museum/dinner train service, you'd have to gut them completely and rebuild, including interior fittings, mechanical bits, and rolling/draft gear.

That would include a new interior with seats, lights, fixtures in common with some other major fleet with a supply chain. That might include long distance seats used by Amtrak or Via, as well as things like bathrooms and electrical. The HVAC and wiring would have to be completely redone, and again, hopefully the air conditioner and heaters are from a major passenger train supply chain. The best bet would be to call Amtrak, Metra, Via, et al and see what they're using for HVAC and then ask if it would fit in the designated areas.

Essentially we're looking at using the best practices from modern passenger railroading rolling stock (in north america) fitted to a 1956 shell and trucks. It's not a cheap proposition, although it's probably much less than buying new cars. Once it's done right, you likely can have a half-price small fleet that's easy to maintain.

This is all contingent upon the current owners selling them for at/near scrap value, and we all know that some dealers in such goods do not see things that way. More than a few rare examples of trains have rotted away while some scrap yard owner thinks he/she is on a gold mine. It happened to the Illinois Terminal streamliners, it's happening to that turbo in southern Indiana, and plenty more.
 #1545934  by mtuandrew

Now that I’ve gotten us down the Hi-Level rabbit hole, I do have to say that Amtrak only retired the coach fleet 17 years ago, and the Pacific Parlours were in service until 3 years back. Rotting away under Capitol Corridor ownership maybe, but they’ve had less time to rot than many of their counterparts. They’ve also had original Budd and ATSF parts swapped out for Amtrak standard fittings - at least Amtrak standard circa 1990 or so - including retention toilets and HEP. Less time to catch up there too.

Were Montana to find the money for North Coast Regional service I don’t imagine them also buying new cars or motive power, unless USDOT comes along and just drops the keys to thirty Siemens cars and locomotives in the state’s hands. (Which I suppose is possible - USDOT provided the lion’s share of funding for NCDOT’s new fleet.) I feel like Montana would look for Superliners first, and if unable to find a sufficient fleet in Amtrak’s backlot for the right price, would consider something like the Hi-Levels.
 #1545943  by gokeefe

mtuandrew wrote:They’ve also had original Budd and ATSF parts swapped out for Amtrak standard fittings - at least Amtrak standard circa 1990 or so - including retention toilets and HEP. Less time to catch up there too.
I thought about this as well along with the points Tadman made in regards to a rebuild. I concur that it is not only possible but nearly certain that the Hi-Levels have already been retrofitted with Amtrak standard HVAC. They're probably on older refrigerants but that is much less of a problem than issues with voltage or (heaven help us) steam ejector A/C - (kidding on that point of course) ...

I have done some work evaluating older equipment for possible return to operation. This was at the conceptual level prior to any formal technical evaluations by engineers or mechanical contractors. There were two cars specifically under consideration. One a heavyweight Pullman and the other a Budd RDC. The intended applications were different but the ultimate outcome would have been some type of use that was public facing.

Even though the RDC was in decent shape and could have been rehabilitated there were a lot of issues with trim and finish hardware that would have been essentially endless barring a complete interior refurbishment with a standard kit. The Canadian operation in Moncton that had done exactly this seemed promising but they ultimately were unable to sell any units and have since scrapped their inventory.

The Hi-Levels really are an interesting proposition in this regard but they have problems too. Their age does not work in their favor especially the relatively long history of operation which begs the question of metal fatigue and high levels of wear on trim and interior fittings. Hinges, door frames, cabinet doors, locks, clasps, switches and buttons would all be suspect. I would again agree that it is entirely possible that interior hardware has already been upgraded to Amtrak standard equipment. With regards to the seats I think those may have been converted once already to the Amtrak standard seat (that's what I recall from the interior photos I think I've seen).

All glazing would have to be replaced and resealed and the cars would need to be thoroughly leak tested. Electrical components would also need to be tested and evaluated for any signs of rot on the insulation, shorts or other concerns. It is possible that the 1990 electrical setup is no longer code compliant with FRA.

Perhaps worst of all the trucks are probably not Amtrak standard (GSK?) but maybe something older (ISSH?). If they can be certified along with the brake rigging the you still would have the likely requirement for a full tear down and ultra sonic inspection. The axles should all be on roller bearings, if they aren't that's another added cost at about $5 - $10K per axle to retrofit. There could be issues with certification as well but that is the least of the problems.

I would also be curious if the widow openings meet the FRA standard. I'm guessing they do but it might be closer than one would think. As I recall they're smaller than the Superliners.

With regards to a service name I would suggest Northwest Regional, Northwest Limited, Big Sky Limited, Western Star (have fun killing me for suggesting that over the ex-NP), Mountain Climber, Montanan, Yellowstone Limited, Northern Pacific Limited, and Mountain West Limited.

#1545947  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pmI thought about this as well along with the points Tadman made in regards to a rebuild. I concur that it is not only possible but nearly certain that the Hi-Levels have already been retrofitted with Amtrak standard HVAC. They're probably on older refrigerants but that is much less of a problem than issues with voltage or (heaven help us) steam ejector A/C - (kidding on that point of course) ...
I dunno, R134a has been around a while now. It’s even odds whether that’s the refrigerant - though undoubtedly the system needs charging. The operator would do well to thoroughly clean and disinfect all forced-air and radiant HVAC systems, mold has a way of finding corners.
gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pmI have done some work evaluating older equipment for possible return to operation. This was at the conceptual level prior to any formal technical evaluations by engineers or mechanical contractors. There were two cars specifically under consideration. One a heavyweight Pullman and the other a Budd RDC. The intended applications were different but the ultimate outcome would have been some type of use that was public facing.

Even though the RDC was in decent shape and could have been rehabilitated there were a lot of issues with trim and finish hardware that would have been essentially endless barring a complete interior refurbishment with a standard kit. The Canadian operation in Moncton that had done exactly this seemed promising but they ultimately were unable to sell any units and have since scrapped their inventory.
That’s very disappointing and it’s the first I’ve heard of their failure. Very cool that you’ve done that kind of evaluation though!
gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pmThe Hi-Levels really are an interesting proposition in this regard but they have problems too. Their age does not work in their favor especially the relatively long history of operation which begs the question of metal fatigue and high levels of wear on trim and interior fittings. Hinges, door frames, cabinet doors, locks, clasps, switches and buttons would all be suspect. I would again agree that it is entirely possible that interior hardware has already been upgraded to Amtrak standard equipment. With regards to the seats I think those may have been converted once already to the Amtrak standard seat (that's what I recall from the interior photos I think I've seen).

All glazing would have to be replaced and resealed and the cars would need to be thoroughly leak tested. Electrical components would also need to be tested and evaluated for any signs of rot on the insulation, shorts or other concerns. It is possible that the 1990 electrical setup is no longer code compliant with FRA.
I expect that many of the interior fittings would need repair if not replacement. Absolutely the carpet would need replacement, likely some of the wallboard and insulation especially if there were signs of roof leaks, and the seats would most likely have to be reupholstered after sitting (heh) for so long - perhaps replaced with new/gently-used seats. That’s ignoring the possibility that these were used in smoking service, and our older posters know how impossible cigarette scent is to remove from soft surfaces.

The electrical system would need a full inspection, probably repaired in many spots, and perhaps a lot of wiring and switches would need to be replaced for both failure and code violations. It’d be a worthwhile time to upgrade from incandescent or fluorescent to LED lighting, and to add more outlets.

Unknown whether the coaches have asbestos to abate, but I’m not going to bet against it. The lounges are probably good, with being in service recently.
gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pmPerhaps worst of all the trucks are probably not Amtrak standard (GSK?) but maybe something older (ISSH?). If they can be certified along with the brake rigging the you still would have the likely requirement for a full tear down and ultra sonic inspection. The axles should all be on roller bearings, if they aren't that's another added cost at about $5 - $10K per axle to retrofit. There could be issues with certification as well but that is the least of the problems.
They came from the factory with roller bearings - I couldn’t tell you how long it’s been since passenger equipment hasn’t had roller bearings installed from Day 1. Certainly since the 1930s. Ultrasound inspection for fatigue cracks, sure, but these look very similar to the trucks used under Metra gallery cars as well as hundreds of remaining Heritage cars in both private and public hands. Parts are still available, Amtrak must even still have some backstock for their H-Bags.
gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pmI would also be curious if the window openings meet the FRA standard. I'm guessing they do but it might be closer than one would think. As I recall they're smaller than the Superliners.
I haven’t a clue. The windows could be a very major expense if delaminated, broken, or otherwise faulty, unless they happen to be a standard size like those of Amfleets (and would still be a sizable expense if standard.) Probably the rubber seals are starting to fail, at least on the coaches though less likely the Pacific Parlours. It’s likely that the operator would get an exemption for ADA access though (for both windows and stairwells) based on grandfather status.
gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pmWith regards to a service name I would suggest Northwest Regional, Northwest Limited, Big Sky Limited, Western Star (have fun killing me for suggesting that over the ex-NP), Mountain Climber, Montanan, Yellowstone Limited, Northern Pacific Limited, and Mountain West Limited.
Not a fan of North Coast Regional? I’d associate Northwest Regional with the Cascades service, and Montanan guarantees that Idaho and Washington will balk at funding. Big Sky service does sound good though, though you’ll get the same Great Northern haters who call you on the Western Star. :wink:
 #1546031  by dgvrengineer

Here is what Ozark says about the Santa Fe Highlevel cars they have for sale:
Quote:
"Built circa 1955 by the Budd Company for the Santa Fe Railroad as part of their large equipment upgrade for the overnight all coach train the “El Capitan” Sold to Amtrak after the Santa Fe exited the passenger business and operated by Amtrak until retired in the early 1990’s. The advantage to the Hy Level cars is that you get a dome car view from every car in the train and this car was rebuilt by Amtrak’s “Heritage Fleet” program is it is equipped with Head End Power, H couplers, 27 pin & MU, electric floor and overhead heat, air conditioning, emergency lights, freeze protection, large water tank, 26-C brake valves, disc brakes , outside swinghanger trucks for superior ride, seating capacity of approx. 72, large restrooms and luggage area (could be converted into food service area), emergency windows (all glazing will need replaced), stainless body, train PA system, crew/shower room, upgraded electrical system. Several complete trainsets are available which include coaches and diner/lounges"
 #1546041  by gokeefe

With regards to bearings I meant the Hyatt (spelling?) type bearings with grease fittings not the Timken type sealed roller bearings. Obviously true "friction" or "plain" bearings haven't been part of a new build for quite some time, perhaps the 1930s as mtuandrew says ...

The Ozark listing is helpful to remember and recall that the cars have had quite a bit of work done to them. I'm just having a hard time believing they could be sustained in maintenance at a reasonable cost. Scenic tourist use? Sure. Heavy duty passenger? Seems really doubtful.

#1546082  by Tadman

Gokeefe makes some really good points, it would be a leviathan task to resurrect the Hi-Level fleet but at least they're somewhat compliant. I think the real answer is to find a carbuilder that also does overhauls, find a dip in their business cycle, and have them do it turnkey.

Or the real bright idea is to find a commuter operator with either (1) a fresh set of cars they are retiring or (2) a large order with some open options. Freshly retired cars need a reboot but are usually fairly water tight and have known supply chain. New cars as add-on option would be a great way to de-content and get a relative bargain on new cars. Imagine a coach order from Metro North or Metra with better seats and less electronics (like power doors, destination signs, etc...)

I worry the new Siemens passenger cars are too high-tech and will not do so well in long-term low-maintenance use off the NEC. The Horizon and Amfleet have lasted a long time in part due to simplicity and ruggedness.
 #1546094  by WhartonAndNorthern

Rockingham Racer wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:59 am The BNSF spent oodles of money on the former NP between KO Jct [west of Fargo] and Billings in the last several years, including putting in CTC the entire distance. Top speed for freight trains is 60 MPH now. I don't know off hand what class FRA would assign to it, and I'm too lazy at this hour to look it up! :-D
mtuandrew wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:55 am Then figure Amtrak/Montana would need to pay for the necessary upgrades from Class 3 (60/40) to Class 4. To be honest the track probably would meet Class 4 standards [...]
Has the line been upgraded to PTC? If not expect a bill for that as well. If the line's freight traffic was below the FRA's threshold, it would not have needed PTC, however, FRA regulations require PTC installations on all "new" passenger routes after 2020(?). [I'm too lazy to look up the CFR right now]
 #1546115  by mtuandrew

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:36 amHas the line been upgraded to PTC? If not expect a bill for that as well. If the line's freight traffic was below the FRA's threshold, it would not have needed PTC, however, FRA regulations require PTC installations on all "new" passenger routes after 2020(?). [I'm too lazy to look up the CFR right now]
I can’t say for absolute certain that it has E-ITMS installed, but the ex-NP through North Dakota handles hazmat (including natural gas) and that’s one of the triggers for needing PTC.
 #1546121  by dgvrengineer

I read in one of the trade publications that MRL was installing PTC even though they were not required to do so. I have not heard anything about their progress on that front. Since it was voluntary, they may not have to meet the FRA deadline.
 #1546127  by gokeefe

Tadman wrote:I worry the new Siemens passenger cars are too high-tech and will not do so well in long-term low-maintenance use off the NEC. The Horizon and Amfleet have lasted a long time in part due to simplicity and ruggedness.
Given the choice between brand new Siemens cars with some fairly robust self-diagnostic features and the "dumb" Hi-Levels that might break without explanation (or warning) I would take the new builds. I'm guessing if they're anything like most modern technology they'll take care of themselves as long as they have power (HEP, "hotel" or some limited battery life) and if they can't they will "call home". The real issue for both types of equipment might be never getting out of the cold weather.

#1546141  by vermontanan

gokeefe wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:22 pm
Yes regional was my point (Billings to Spokane) and without purchasing equipment. Rolling stock can be leased from Amtrak. No shortage of Superliners to work with. Platforms right now are bidding out in Maine at around $2M.

I do not agree with the proposition that equipment ownership is the same cost as leasing from Amtrak. This has absolutely been proven with the Downeaster and I've had a few conversations with people who actually know because it was their job. It simply doesn't work with small equipment pools. Doing some rebuilds of wrecked or out of service Superliner cars is probably the best possible outcome. Notable too on costs that platforms in Maine at $2M was for a mini high level with heated edges.

I'm sure a low level would not cost anywhere near as much. With regards to shelters Amtrak can always start with temporary structures and move on from there. The Amshacks served their purpose and perhaps could do so again for however brief a period of time. We are taking about some large communities that probably have enough resources available to build a station with grant funds and a local match.
Spreading the costs around doesn't eliminate the cost. If it costs less to lease than to buy, there is still the cost to obtain them. Someone has to pay if the entity leasing the car doesn't pay the entire cost. Just like renovating current bad order rolling stock. Same for stations. "Local resources", "grants", and "local matches" might not be included in one bucket, but they exist nonetheless. Bottom line: Unless the equipment is available to lease and the stations are available to use, the train can't run.
 #1546164  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:45 pm
Tadman wrote:I worry the new Siemens passenger cars are too high-tech and will not do so well in long-term low-maintenance use off the NEC. The Horizon and Amfleet have lasted a long time in part due to simplicity and ruggedness.
Given the choice between brand new Siemens cars with some fairly robust self-diagnostic features and the "dumb" Hi-Levels that might break without explanation (or warning) I would take the new builds. I'm guessing if they're anything like most modern technology they'll take care of themselves as long as they have power (HEP, "hotel" or some limited battery life) and if they can't they will "call home". The real issue for both types of equipment might be never getting out of the cold weather.
You're way too optimistic. I work around heavy industry and we make "smart" equipment. I like ours, but its non-invasive and most manufactures make invasive smart equipment. In other words, if the smart capability is disabled or throws a code, the whole system goes down. I don't trust those Siemens cars for a minute to keep the air conditioning or heat going if something goes wrong. Some digital sensor craps out or the PLC craps out, and you're done. An entire train of people in mid-winter and no heat.
 #1546176  by dgvrengineer

I found the PTC story on Trains. https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... tc-by-2022

Fair use: MISSOULA, Mont. — Montana Rail Link will install positive train control technology along more than 600 miles of its main line in Montana and Idaho by 2022, company officials say.

Vice President of Operations Stacy Posey tells Trains that MRL will be one of the first railroads of its size to voluntarily install the safety technology. Currently, 41 railroads are required by federal law to install PTC by Dec. 31. Those required to install PTC include Class I railroads that move certain types of hazardous materials or that host any route with regularly scheduled passenger trains.