Railroad Forums 

• Capacity Management/Revenue Enhancement

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1542188  by gokeefe

Correct. So any setouts on the California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Cardinal are federally funded and also done specifically at the direction of Amtrak operations.

The Carolinian is state funded from WAS to RGH.
 #1542194  by gokeefe

I think that's correct but my memory is that NCDOT covers the full cost from WAS. This is my recollection of the arrangement before the PRIIA formulas went into effect.
 #1542211  by njtmnrrbuff

The Carolinian makes multiple stops in Virginia so I have a feeling that that would be a reason for Virginia DOT to help fund the Carolinian. It takes a few hours for that train to pass through Virginia. It's like saying that Vermont doesn't contribute to all of the Vermonter on trackage outside of the NEC. Between New Haven and Springfield, it's CDOT. I believe from Springfield to Greenfield, MassDot helps fund the Vermonter and then the duration of the trip north from Greenfield, it's Vermont.
 #1542419  by gokeefe

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:20 pm The Carolinian makes multiple stops in Virginia so I have a feeling that that would be a reason for Virginia DOT to help fund the Carolinian. It takes a few hours for that train to pass through Virginia. It's like saying that Vermont doesn't contribute to all of the Vermonter on trackage outside of the NEC. Between New Haven and Springfield, it's CDOT. I believe from Springfield to Greenfield, MassDot helps fund the Vermonter and then the duration of the trip north from Greenfield, it's Vermont.
True but I can promise you that New Hampshire doesn't pay a dime for operation of the Downeaster.
 #1542942  by daybeers

gokeefe wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:54 am Notable report that the Vermonter had a car added at NHV on southbound trains (taken off at NHV northbound).
Yes, it is 6 cars WAS-NHV and 5 cars NHV-SAB. That's been happening for several years now when the engine changes from electric to diesel.