Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1294567  by emd645e3

Lackawanna565 wrote:When I was Overbrook interlocking in July. I noticed the one signal showing restricting. The weird thing was it went to approach medium after that. I never seen a signal do that. Didn't show a aspect to prepare to stop at the next signal. What's with that?
You sure it wasn't a slow approach you saw? Restricting is technically a signal to be prepared to stop at the next signal since it requires you to be prepared to stop short of just about anything.
 #1294578  by Lackawanna565

emd645e3 wrote:
Lackawanna565 wrote:When I was Overbrook interlocking in July. I noticed the one signal showing restricting. The weird thing was it went to approach medium after that. I never seen a signal do that. Didn't show a aspect to prepare to stop at the next signal. What's with that?
You sure it wasn't a slow approach you saw? Restricting is technically a signal to be prepared to stop at the next signal since it requires you to be prepared to stop short of just about anything.
I'm sure. I thought I was wrong at first. Took a look at my footage again last night. The signal was showing restricting. It was hard to tell. But I could make out the top left and bottom right on the bottom part of the signal was on. I have seen that signal show slow approach before in other videos. The signal is the one near the interlocking tower.
 #1296644  by Lackawanna565

Two years ago. I was getting footage at Leaman Interlocking and Irishtown Road crossing. I noticed the home signal at Leaman showed slow approach on a straight route. Then approach. After seeing show slow approach. I decided to go to Irishtown crossing to get footage. I was hoping to see approach slow on one of the 592 signals. It showed clear then went to stop and proceed and stayed that way. It did for both eastbound trains. Does anyone know if one of the 592 signals will show approach slow when the home signal is showing slow approach on a straight route? Or the signal will just say approach?
 #1299050  by afiggatt

Suburban Station wrote:first renderings of the new two track Paoli station
The top view site diagram presented in 2013 show a 3 track station. I don't see why that would have changed. The site diagram is available at the PlantheKeystone website entry for the Paoli station. After a long period of inactivity, the Plan the Keystone website was revised and updated sometime in the past few months.

The next few years will be busy for station work on the eastern Keystone with PennDOT construction funding in the capital program budget for new stations at Middletown, Mt Joy and Phase 1 project high level platforms and ADA access upgrades for the Exton and Paoli stations.
 #1299062  by Suburban Station

afiggatt wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:first renderings of the new two track Paoli station
The top view site diagram presented in 2013 show a 3 track station. I don't see why that would have changed. The site diagram is available at the PlantheKeystone website entry for the Paoli station. After a long period of inactivity, the Plan the Keystone website was revised and updated sometime in the past few months.

The next few years will be busy for station work on the eastern Keystone with PennDOT construction funding in the capital program budget for new stations at Middletown, Mt Joy and Phase 1 project high level platforms and ADA access upgrades for the Exton and Paoli stations.
I hope so, it looks like two track although they could be obscuring two tracks in the background. as for the why, there's this
Finally, a lawsuit over handicapped access forced the interest groups into finding a solution. The parties signed an agreement with the court to fix Paoli by 2018 to allow access.
they no have a hard deadline.
I'm looking forward to the downingtown station. of the ones I've seen it looks to be the most transformative for the town itself and put the station right on brandywine creek. I'm guessing ardmore is still on hold?
 #1299153  by ExCon90

The platform at left in the rendering looks like an island platform, with a yellow tactile strip just visible at the extreme left platform edge. That would make the track that's visible the middle track, with the next track to the right concealed by the height of its platform.
 #1299171  by Arlington

So now that the last grade crossing is gone, how long before 125mph ops on the Keystone? As of July, it was all "plans to..." and "clears the way for..." but nobody was committing to anything.
 #1299185  by Sean@Temple

The diagram on the website only shows two tracks. If that is the case, why would they put in an island which requires 3 elevators rather than 2 side platforms that would only require 2 elevators?

Sean@Temple
 #1299189  by electricron

Sean@Temple wrote:The diagram on the website only shows two tracks. If that is the case, why would they put in an island which requires 3 elevators rather than 2 side platforms that would only require 2 elevators?
Sean@Temple
From what I read in the diagram, the existing platform(s) are low level. The new island platform will be a high level - allowing quicker and easier boarding and alighting. I believe it will be cheaper to build one new high level platform than rebuilding two low level platforms into high level platforms, even with the additional cost of an extra elevator.
 #1299191  by Suburban Station

electricron wrote:
Sean@Temple wrote:The diagram on the website only shows two tracks. If that is the case, why would they put in an island which requires 3 elevators rather than 2 side platforms that would only require 2 elevators?
Sean@Temple
From what I read in the diagram, the existing platform(s) are low level. The new island platform will be a high level - allowing quicker and easier boarding and alighting. I believe it will be cheaper to build one new high level platform than rebuilding two low level platforms into high level platforms, even with the additional cost of an extra elevator.
there are currently 4 tracks with two side, low level platforms. the cheapest approach would be two side hlp's but that wouldn't allow amtrak to stop here AND be on the center tracks.

arlington-I asked an engineer once and his reply was that there's no point until they put tilting equipment on the line because the distance between curves where you can hit 125 mph is negligble.
 #1299199  by Sean@Temple

The plans and rendering in the presentation show one center island platform with only two tracks (one on each side of the island). There are also fences up along the old low side platforms, implying that only the center platform will be use for all trains. Seems like a mistake to me but they don't ask me, and probably for good reason.

Link to the Presentation

Oops never mind. If I would only read all of the documents. These are just "temporary" accessability improvements and the rest of the "transportation center" will be finished at a later date which will include a third track on the north side of the station.
 #1299204  by Suburban Station

Sean@Temple wrote:The plans and rendering in the presentation show one center island platform with only two tracks (one on each side of the island). There are also fences up along the old low side platforms, implying that only the center platform will be use for all trains. Seems like a mistake to me but they don't ask me, and probably for good reason.

Link to the Presentation

Oops never mind. If I would only read all of the documents. These are just "temporary" accessability improvements and the rest of the "transportation center" will be finished at a later date which will include a third track on the north side of the station.
service to west chester was temporarily suspended as well