Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#551465  by CVRA7

Don't know if this qualifies as "unique equipment" as it was a "position-unique" sighting -
Yesterday morning train 495 headed south with cab coach 9650, coach 82675, loco 102 facing north,
being "kissed" by loco 72 facing south. First time I've seen 2 P42s nose-to-nose on a road job, albeit trailing the move.
 #551615  by Matt Johnson

I'm pretty sure I counted 14 Amfleets on a DC bound NEC train Sunday night, being led by two AEM-7's. Does Amtrak ever run revenue trains that long on the NEC? Might it have been a charter?
 #551645  by DutchRailnut

Todays 171 had corridor clipper at tail end in Stamford Ct at 11:39
 #551904  by conrail71

Train #48 the Lakeshore Limited passing through Rochester, N.Y. today had a stainless steel car on the tail-end lettered for the Boston and Maine today. I got some mediocre shots that I'll post to my Blog later today or tomorrow morning.
Mike
 #552520  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Scola, could you elaborate upon your observation?

Did you observe an actual Metroliner MU (demotored; not necessarily equipped with cab controls) in the consist or simply an A-I lettered "Metroliner Service"?

Equiring mind wants to know.
 #552581  by Gilbert B Norman

Those cars, Mr. Scola, were liveried in Phase 3 or Red White Blue stripes of equal size. Current livery is Phase 4 or Phase 4.5 - predominately Blue with Red and white "accent" striping. Phase 4.5 Blue is more of a "Greyish" Blue than is 4.

BTW, it has never been brought to my attention if these "Phase" livery terms are official Amtrak protocol, or if they are simply "railfanese".
 #552755  by Dick H

Pullman "Salisbury Beach" did not run to Portland last night (7/4) on Downeaster #699 as planned. Perhaps, it never made it to Boston, as I have seen no sightings posted anywhere. Last report was that it was on #48 at Rochester NY on 7/2.

If it did make it to Boston, it is not scheduled to leave until 12 Noon on Sunday, but the Downeaster's turnaround time on weekends is especially tight, so there may not be time to attach the car in Boston to get the run to Portland today.

Dick
 #553036  by Tadman

On 7/4/11 I was picking up some ribs in Michigan City (at Frosty's, across US-12 from the MC tracks - awesome food) and saw one of the Detroit runs go past with the standard consist - NPCU, amfleet cafe, 3-5 horizon coaches, P42 - but there was an extra P42 coupled elephant style. I didn't get numbers, but the P42 coupled directly to the coaches had some type of wire duct-taped from the pilot to the B end about 6" above the carbody bottom. I've never seen elephant coupled P42's on these runs, only "bracket style" if no NPCU's are available.
 #553108  by AMTK1007

that pair of units was in Milwaukee about a week ago.. the one unit has sensors wired to the trucks