Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1536783  by Backshophoss

If the rebuild was successful,why is alstrom SO silent on the results They should be crowing to Amtrak and MBTA that they have the "fix"
this is still an R&D project to them.
Siemens is playing this same game with LIRR 518 an other "quiet R&D" project,
that means 0 results to crow about. period.
Amtrak's Hippo's are off limits due to the missing parts lawsuit from the lessor
 #1536796  by mtuandrew

Even if successful, Amtrak doesn’t need the Hippos in service, and Alstom would rather sell new motors (if not a straight-up Euro design, then possibly Bombardier-designed units like the ALP-46 series) to MBTA. And from what posters describe about Long Island #518, that work is to prototype a dual-mode SC-44 rather than to reequip the DE/DM fleet.

So we keep coming back to MARC as the only viable user, and then only if Maryland decides to put more resources into green energy. (And to dump the MPI locomotives, eventually.)
 #1536821  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:19 pm As stock units,they had many road failures due to weather high temps,extreme cold,etc.
Alstrom should be crowing to the hills if they were successful
Otherwise END of story!
The problem is, it's been a mild winter and it hasn't gotten to high-heat summer yet. I'm not surprised that they're doing a wait-and-see first on the new plumbing.
 #1536839  by ApproachMedium

Backshophoss wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:31 pm If the rebuild was successful,why is alstrom SO silent on the results They should be crowing to Amtrak and MBTA that they have the "fix"
this is still an R&D project to them.
Siemens is playing this same game with LIRR 518 an other "quiet R&D" project,
that means 0 results to crow about. period.
Amtrak's Hippo's are off limits due to the missing parts lawsuit from the lessor
Alstom has NOTHING to do with the upgrades to the HHP-8s. Its being done by a 3rd party, its working pretty well. if it wasnt working so well they wouldnt be doing more units and buying parts from somebody i know that just happens to have parts they need. just because amtrak, alstom and bombarider are not involved doesnt mean that progress is not being made. Engineers i have spoken to who operate the 4910 say it works just fine and they have no issues with it. More real world experience for you vs some internet speculations by people who have no clue about whats going on behind the 4 walls at martins airport.
 #1574695  by STrRedWolf

I came across this:

Hmmm... the HHP-8's still look half-way decent. I wonder how the lawsuit's going...

Google "Philip Morris Capital Corporation et al. v. National Railroad Passenger Corp"...

Oh hey, the case is still going through pre-trial motions. The judge already set down the rules for evidence gathering and preservation... and Amtrak was able to get some of the allegations dismissed. Amtrak is still facing claims of money damaged, breach of contract, breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, equitable estoppel, and fraudulent concealment. Order dated Feb 26, 2021, per judge Jesse M. Furman, US District Court for Southern District of New York.
 #1574777  by ApproachMedium

I highly doubt marc is getting them. Their HHP8s have all been parked for almost a year now. They run everything strictly with diesels. Though their recent announcement about the baltimore tunnel leads to believe that they plan to go full electric on the NEC portion by the time the tunnel is done. Which would only make sense, considering the higher speeds the tunnel will allow for and all of the newer trains they have bought that can run faster. Also apparently there has been a recent push against marc for running the stinky slow diesels in the city.
 #1574799  by KTHW

MARC is still running the HHP-8s, they’re actually finishing up a refurbishment process that seems to have improved reliability. I’ll also add that any new locos MARC purchases will most likely be Dhal-Mode.
 #1574845  by STrRedWolf

I won't be surprised if they're ether at Ivy City, Martins State Airport, or Riverside. Likely all three, since I know 4910 was first to be refurbed and put back on the line. They'll be back out starting Aug 30th when MARC resumes full service.

It makes me wonder what costs more: The diesel fuel bill or the electricity bill...