Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1538126  by east point

There is a sign north of the Deland station on the rout. . Says end CFR begin CSX. That should end all this incorrect speculation.
 #1538168  by JimBoylan

Amtrak Alerts@AmtrakAlerts
SERVICE ADVISORY: Auto Train 52 / 53 scheduled to depart Lorton (LOR) / Sanford (SFA) on 4/1 is cancelled.
 #1538247  by lordsigma12345

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:10 pm I think due to the current orders to isolate, nobody's taking the Autotrain any more. Lets just say "canceled until further notice".
I doubt it’s ridership related. It’s more likely due to ongoing repair and cleanup work where the derailment occurred. So far no long distance trains have had ridership related suspensions.
 #1538250  by zuluwarrior

Yes, I think northbound is mostly sold out near term as prior cancellations spill over. Southbound, no problem. So really, the track work in DeLand is driving this, and there doesn't seem to be alot of information about that.

Auto Train still better than say, the hold up southbound into Florida on 95 at the weigh station, and what similarly might happen in the northern states.
 #1538285  by zuluwarrior

There still seem to be openings. 4/3 has roomettes and car openings, as does 4/4. No coach seats. But the status is still unavailable.
 #1538428  by zuluwarrior

The 4/2 trains have just posted on time departures and early arrivals (which I take only to mean they might be on the regular route).
 #1538445  by John_Perkowski

rhallock wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 pm I just spoke with my sister who was on the train. They arrived in Lorton safely and Amtrak is providing a rental car with a $100 credit card. She only found out that her car was among the missing when her name was not called to pick it up.
Amtrak will most likely be out 179 new cars, and that $100 for a rental car? That won’t last long enough to even get these cars into a body shop.

This is incredibly bad customer service on Amtrak’s part. Just try telling me they didn’t have a manifest by car carrier. Then, try telling me the Conductor didn’t have a copy of the manifest.
 #1538451  by lordsigma12345

No most reports have been that Amtrak treated the affected people well All reports I have read that Amtrak did a good job. The rental cars were fully covered - I believe the $100 was to cover other incidentals in getting home (food, gas for the rental car, etc.)
 #1538455  by zuluwarrior

lordsigma12345 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am No most reports have been that Amtrak treated the affected people well All reports I have read that Amtrak did a good job. The rental cars were fully covered - I believe the $100 was to cover other incidentals in getting home (food, gas for the rental car, etc.)
Do you know how the rental car stuff worked and where these reports might be? Was it a one or two day one-way rental, or something else? Anything about how car contents were going to be returned?
 #1538457  by lordsigma12345

zuluwarrior wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am No most reports have been that Amtrak treated the affected people well All reports I have read that Amtrak did a good job. The rental cars were fully covered - I believe the $100 was to cover other incidentals in getting home (food, gas for the rental car, etc.)
Do you know how the rental car stuff worked and where these reports might be? Was it a one or two day one-way rental, or something else? Anything about how car contents were going to be returned?
No just some general reports I read that didnt get into that level of detail. But the reports I read indicated the customers seemed satisfied as to how Amtrak was handling it.
 #1538459  by photobug56

DO we have any viable detail on what caused this, yet?

Oddly enough, a day or two ago, the TV show Motor Week did a segment on Auto Train and how it works. Not really very good timing.