Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Palmetto Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#297152  by Vincent

I've been reading the Amtrak Monthly Performance Reports for several years and I've noticed that the Palmetto seems to be one of the most efficient, financially speaking, of the long distance trains. Can someone provide the usual consist and OBS roster for a typical Palmetto run? Thanks.
 #297216  by jp1822

Consist and service, to the best of my knowledge, is similiar to any other, what I call, Amtrak long distance day trains (i.e. Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Vermonter). The only major difference is that the Palmetto does get Amfleet II's, an Amfleet cafe and 1 business class car that affords some extra perks (blanket, pillow). Few other daytime long distance trains (i.e. Vermonter, Adirondack etc.) have Amfleet II's in their consist. Adirondack does not have business class, and business class on the Vermonter and Maple Leaf is limited to only half of the cafe car.

I believe I spotted the Palmetto the other day with about 4 Amfleet II's, Amfleet Cafe, and what was either the business class car or high density Amfleet coach (likely for those travelling short distances). Perhaps the success is in the Amfleet II's and its daytime travel. Plus, keep in mind this train gets to pull in NEC revenue, which is higher $$ than outside of the NEC. In addition, baggage is still carried on the Palmetto, so not sure if any M&E revenue is allocated to this train's overall contribution etc.

Also the Silver Meteor's southbound schedule was changed in such a way that the Palmetto is probably more popular for people travelling to/from the Northeast and Charleston/Savannah. One used to be be able to board the Silver Meteor at 7 p.m. southbound, and arrive before 9 a.m. into Savannah or Charleston (the ideal hotel on wheels). Now, with the Silver Meteor departing southbound earlier, it doesn't serve some areas at passenger friendly hours any more. However, we all know the Silver Meteor's timekeeping is not the best, so sometimes the old schedule still works out!
 #685785  by etna9726b

The Metro accident was north of Union station, and not on the NEC. What I don't know is if the Cap Ltd would be affected.
 #685801  by jp1822

Capitol Limited uses the tracks that MARC has shut service down on today, June 23, (aka the Brunswick Line) and also CSX traffic was halted.

I was expecting to hear that they anulled the Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh and buses were ordered to preserve a departure for #29 this evening. But there was no annulment and train #30 of today, June 23, is expected to arrive into Washington DC per the online train report status. Not sure if there is a re-route available or not - largely due to the Superliner height on eastern railroad tracks. Today's number 29 of June 23rd is already in Washington DC, as both Capitol Limited's got around the affected Metro crash site yesterday before the tragedy ocurred.

So this should be interesting as to what develops with the Capitol Limited.
 #685818  by etna9726b

I thought perhaps Amtrak would start/stop the Cap at Rockville, but then they couldn't service the train fully.
 #685832  by rrjo333

Thanks everyone. I actually don't come up until Friday. I appreciate the quick responses.
 #685961  by Otto Vondrak

Amtrak (railroad) and the Metro (subway transit) are separate operations, they don't share tracks at all.

Any Amtrak-related delays will be posted at http://www.amtrak.com.

-otto-
 #862574  by twropr

I understand that trains #89 and #86 are changing from electric to Diesel at Phila while CSX has track work going on that is causing some delays south of Selma, NC. Does anyone know why the engine changes are taking place there?

Andy
 #862642  by gprimr1

It could be a load balancing issue with the diesel engines or they need to leave DC earlier to make a time slot through the work zone.
 #862894  by JimBoylan

I wonder if it's a way to get the Pennsylvanian's Diesels to an inspection shop without deadheading?
Does the same engineer work between New York and Washington through the engine change at 30th St.?
 #862927  by jp1822

Suburban Station wrote:probably has to do with the poor shape the toasters are in, especially those that were never overhauled, creating a electric shortage
This still doesn't make a lot of sense now that the Keystone trains are operating with "all-electric service." Here's what I struggle with. With an engine change in Philly, these electrics are essentially being "marooned" in Philly, as no other trains are going through an engine change at Philly anymore. When the Keystone trains were, yes, this may make some sense, but unless there is another train doing an engine change at Philly in the a.m. (for example), I don't see how it is really helping the electric locomotive utilization. There is a train that leaves from Philly to Washington DC each morning, and I would presume Amtrak could switch the Pennsylvanian's power out using this train or even 66/67 if it wanted to. Doesn't make too much sense - on the surface - for the Palmetto to be changing engines at Philly due to shortage of electric locomotives. If Amtrak is short on electrics, they will just yank an electric off the Keystone and start doing an engine change with a few Keystones at Philly. So I suspect there has to be some other reason for all this.