• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 1446 posts
  by bdawe

it's part of a project to generally reduce the number of freight and passenger grade crossings in Springfield, no?
  by Tadman

east point wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:05 pm Married pairs ? There has always been the problem when one gets damaged beyond repair. Have no idea what MNRR and LIRR do when that happens ? However since the cars are all identical not much problem to link to another cars with such damage. With these married pairs being different configurations there may be problems when the odd ball unit does not have a planned mate to connect to ?.
There's been a lot of opposition on here to married pairs, and I think it might actually be an interesting solution. If Amtrak is indeed ordering such, it's a bit of a validation of my position.

That said, it's important to remember what a married pair is: Two cars, coupled by a device like a drawbar, that can't easily be uncoupled in the field. Shop forces can and do uncouple them. They're not actually permanently stuck together. If two pair come in for service, and they match, you could theoretically make a cut between both and match the cars that are still good.
  by bdawe

do married pairs retain the tend-to-stand-up-during-crashes-and-derailments beneficial of permanent sets, or is that just with shared trucks or longer sets? Cause if they're more likely to be upright in a wreck I imagine they're also less likely to be damaged beyond repair?
  by east point

Springfield: All freight trains will no longer block grade crossings. I am unsure if passenger trains will still use the old route ? At least less delays for passenger trains if they use the old single track line. BTW at one time it was 2 tracks . Often wondered why not restore the second track ?
  by byte

UP (Amtrak) and NS will be consolidated into one ~3 track right-of-way; most grade crossings on this alignment have already been, or are in the process of being converted into viaducts. The new alignment is also adjacent to a new downtown terminal recently built by the local transit district, and I believe the intent is to incorporate the new rail station into this facility, invite an intercity bus operator downtown (Greyhound currently stops at a tire shop on the east side, over by I-55), and make it multimodal.

The city of Springfield is very eager to see trains on the UP alignment [former GM&O] go away due to the number of grade crossings on this route and relatively low train speed (40mph for both P&F, upgraded about two years ago from 25); the Texas Eagle's daily stops are known to be a source of local frustration given the 10-15 minute dwell times and the train blocking 2-3 crossings in the process.
  by StLouSteve

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
UP (Amtrak) and NS will be consolidated into one ~3 track right-of-way; most grade crossings on this alignment have already been, or are in the process of being converted into viaducts. The new alignment is also adjacent to a new downtown terminal recently built by the local transit district,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hope UP is being given access to more than one track on the new alignment, if not, no real benefit to Amtrak Lincoln Service over the current route which often requires a train to wait before entering the single track Springfield station for another to clear out first. I seem to recall it being double tracked through Springfield station into the CM&W (SP) era.