Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#58752  by njtmnrrbuff

I remember a couple of years back when my brother went to Conecticut College, he had to stand the entire way between between Newark and New London even though he made a reservation. There are plenty of colleges right along Amtrak lines especially along the Empire and in the capital district area. Amtrak in upstate NY usually runs 6 car trains. Even a four car NY-ALB turn on the sunday after is a big mistake.
 #58818  by Gilbert B Norman

Uh, what am I overlooking, Mr NJT Metro North Buff?

Is not the institution near New London you reported your BROTHER attended named Connecticut College for Women?

Possibly, you mean University of Connecticut along the Norwich & Worcester up in Storrs.

#59034  by njtmnrrbuff

No, it was Conn College. Conn College and UConn, I'm sure you know are two different institutions. UConn is in Storrs. In fact, it is in the middle of nowhere. Hartford is the closest train. Plus, most of the trains running between NHV and SPG are so short. They need to add more cars because there are many schools along the Springfield Line.

#59162  by Gilbert B Norman

Suffice to say Mr. MMR/NJT, I am quite mindful that University of Connecticut and Connecticut College are separate institutions. One is best known for what goes on under the hoops, the other for what goes on in the classroom.

In all fairness, I must note the "hoops" is custodian of some priceless memorabilia (photos, management correspondence) from the New Haven Railroad.

Evidently, my point was missed; Connecticut College, of which my cousin is an Alumna and at least when I lived in the Northeast until 1970, was open to students only of the female gender.

Did it go co-ed?
 #68285  by JayMan

Now don't want to look ignorant by asking what seems like a newbie question, but just how did Amtrak run trains out of NYP (and for that matter, GCT when they ran there) on non-electrified routes such as the Empire corridor, the Lake Shore Limited and Ethan Allen before they acquired P32AC-DMs? How did they handle diesel service underground in the F-40 days?

#68291  by DutchRailnut

Long trains like 48/49 were powered by fl9 and f40in lead, the f40 was cut of in croton harmon and the fl-9 had to do it by itself, F40's could not run south of CP12 (trains use to go to GCT)
Same in reverse but the f40 would be added in croton harmon.
short trains had either turbo or a Fl-9 for power.
The 6 former FL9's are now at the M&E in New Jersey.

#68404  by jhdeasy

From time to time, some Empire Service trains with an FL9 were towed by an electric motor (AEM7) between the platform at Pennsylvania Station and a location (CP EMPIRE?) just beyond the north/west portal of the Empire / Westside Connection tunnel. There is overhead catenary thru the tunnel to this interlocking. There is also a wye cut into the rocks under buildings on the west side of the tracks at that location. I think the wye was only long enough to turn a single locomotive.

Those of you who have been around longer will also remember Empire Service trains to/from GCT before FL9 locomotives; in the 1971 - 1974 era, Amtrak used PC x-NYC Cleveland Union Terminal P motors between GCT and Croton-Harmon.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=23060

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36842

#68406  by mlrr

DutchRailnut wrote:Long trains like 48/49 were powered by fl9 and f40in lead.....
Is that what they did? I though FL9s were like the P32DMs. I thought they did the same thing except from GCT. They didn't make the trip up to Albany and then be swapped for F40s?

#68413  by CRail

the gennies basically replaced the F40's

#68416  by jhdeasy

Amtrak FL-9 locomotives operated between Pennsylvania Station and Albany-Rensselaer.

I think a single FL9 unit may have lacked sufficient traction power to haul a long consist upgrade from the platforms at Pennslyvania Station to the west side line.

I suppose there were times when Amtrak had an insufficient number of FL9 locomotives available to properly cover all assignments. Thus the occasional need to use an electric locomotive (AEM7) to tow a consist upgrade thru the tunnel to the west side line, where one or two FL9 locomotives could handle it the rest of the way to ALB.

#68474  by mlrr

jhdeasy wrote:Amtrak FL-9 locomotives operated between Pennsylvania Station and Albany-Rensselaer.
Then I guess that was immediately after the North end access tunnel was completed? This process must not have lasted long. It sounds time consuming too. As a matter of fact. When I was returning home on the LSL back in Aug '97, we were pulled by two FL9s, running elephant style. The P32DMs for the most part were still "new". I don't think there were more than 12 at the time. On the first leg of my trip, when departing NYP, we were pulled by 2 P32DMs.
 #68482  by Gilbert B Norman

On my recent Lake Shore trip, I noted how much easier it would be today for FDR to get from the White House to the Pink House at Hyde Park.

Only problem would be that the 'Magellan' would have to ride 'wrong end" for part of the trip.

Incidentally, trust others around here have noted that the house track still remains at Hyde Park.

As I understand, FDR routings were over the HGB, then through a maze of New Haven Tracks in the Bronx, connecting at Mott Haven yards to the Hudson Div. Other times, a routing over the existing Corridor to New Rochelle, then a reverse move made from there to Mott Haven for interchange to the NYC would be made.

#68484  by JoeG

I've read that FDR sometimes traveled B&O-Reading-CNJ-West Shore-Poughkeepsie Bridge. (I'm not sure if there are a couple of other steps in there, such as getting from the West Shore to the bridge.) I'm not sure why they would want to take this slower route, however.

#68499  by Gilbert B Norman

Seguridad, Mr. G
 #68642  by Tom Curtin

What cross-street is the mouth of the Amtrak tunnel (coming from Penn Station to the West side line) at? I think I know Manhattan pretty well, and when we emerge from Penn I do not know where I am!