Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1474043  by Railjunkie

Amtrak706 wrote:So here’s a question: after 48 comes in tonight for the last time, is there a plan to get the equipment up to Rensselaer somehow? Is there anything else in Sunnyside that will be stranded?

When 48 arrives Albany it will be a crew change gas and go. All equipment will be straight through to Boston. There is no NY section. 49 tonight will be the last northbound LSL out of Penn till Sept. 4th. The last two trains out of Penn will be tomorrow with 63 and 69. They'll be rolling the RR up behind them.
 #1474046  by Gilbert B Norman

I'd guess the DV bridge will be swung open and the Bridge Tender positions abolished "for the duration".

Haftaask a dumb question; to what craft are any such Tenders within; where could they exercise seniority and displace someone else?
 #1474090  by DutchRailnut

the bridge is being removed as that is entire reason for Empire connector shutdown. the bridge was last overhauled over 30 years ago .
but hit by several vessels including a barge full of subway cars.
 #1474106  by Amtrak706

Railjunkie wrote:
Amtrak706 wrote:So here’s a question: after 48 comes in tonight for the last time, is there a plan to get the equipment up to Rensselaer somehow? Is there anything else in Sunnyside that will be stranded?

When 48 arrives Albany it will be a crew change gas and go. All equipment will be straight through to Boston. There is no NY section. 49 tonight will be the last northbound LSL out of Penn till Sept. 4th. The last two trains out of Penn will be tomorrow with 63 and 69. They'll be rolling the RR up behind them.
Well I know that after today, the whole train will run CHI-BOS as you described. But I just saw 48 come past my house towards Penn (which makes sense as today is the last day of regular ops). My question is: what happens to the equipment of 48(24) after it gets in tonight? Will Sunnyside just use it as a Silver Star set or something?
 #1474122  by Backshophoss

Since the Cardinal is to terminate at DC for the Penn Station trackwork,could be used as a Silver Starvation relief set. :P
 #1474160  by Amtrak706

Around 8:30-9AM today, I heard a northbound come by (I am located right by the GW Bridge, where there is a whistle post for southbound going into the deep rock cut under the bridge). I did not see it, unfortunately, but I did hear it well and I can tell you there was a GE unit w/mechanical bell leading and at least 6 cars. This was after 63 and 69 went by. Anyone know what this mystery train was?
 #1474167  by Amtrak7

Amtrak706 wrote:Around 8:30-9AM today, I heard a northbound come by (I am located right by the GW Bridge, where there is a whistle post for southbound going into the deep rock cut under the bridge). I did not see it, unfortunately, but I did hear it well and I can tell you there was a GE unit w/mechanical bell leading and at least 6 cars. This was after 63 and 69 went by. Anyone know what this mystery train was?
69 broke down near 72 St and was dragged back into NYP to receive an additional engine.
 #1474176  by Dick H

That locomotive problem on #69 put it down nearly three hours late into Yonkers.
#69 continued to lose time and was estimated to be four hours late into
Westport NY.
 #1474583  by Ridgefielder

I have to say that its strange to look up at the GCT departure board and see Montreal QC and Toronto ON listed as Hudson Line destinations! :-D
 #1474594  by TCurtin

This question is probably addressed somewhere in this thread but being lazy, I will ask: How/where is restocking of the food service on 63-64 and 69-68 being done?

Also, how is Amtk. ticketing being done in GCT?
 #1474628  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Curtin, hard as it may be to believe, Amtrak does not have either a staffed ticket office, or for that matter, a Quik-Trak machine, at GCT (NYG).