Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1529820  by jp1822

Alphaboi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 pm
danib62 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:53 pm Booked a trip from CHI-WAS in September. This will be my first trip on an Amtrak sleeper. Are the rooms assigned? How early do they let you board in CHI?
Danib62, I'm very curious to know how your trip went? I'm thinking of finally taking my first sleeper trip this summer (August) and I'm leaning toward the Capital Limited (over the Cardinal or Lakeshore Limited). If I take the Capital Limited it'll be Eastbound. I'll have to train to Philadelphia followed by a Thruway Motor Coach to get home (vs Cardinal/Lakeshore followed by a bus), but it'd be in a Superliner vs a Viewliner.
Even with the recent change in dining options and F&B service in general “East of the Mississippi” for single overnight LD trains, I’d still book the Capitol Limited. I find the Superliner equipment to be superior than the single level/Viewliner equipment. More “bedrooms” available for booking on the Capitol Limited. The Cross Country Cafe car becomes exclusive use to sleeper car passenger (Sleeper Lounge as they now call it). This is also where you get your meals. The Superliner equipment just has a more “open” feel to it. You also can meander into the Superliner Sightseer Lounge car, in addition to your own “Sleeper Lounge.” The concept of the Sleeper Lounge reminds me more of the old Starlight Pacific Parlor Car on the Capitol Limited. Lake Shore and Capitol are both the busier trains. Cardinal just takes forever and the recent F&B service now offered on the Cardinal is even more of a downgrade of what this train used to have with its Diner Lite program. And with the longer train route, your enduring the same meal options more frequently. Scenery is definitely worth it on the Cardinal, but wait till Amtrak comes to its senses and put the Viewliner Diner on the route - like on the Lake Shore Limited (Viewliner Diner = Sleeper Lounge). Cardinal doesn’t get a Viewliner Diner for some ridiculous reason, in my opinion. The Capitol Limited has a shorter run time, and gets out of Chicago at 6:30 pm - more civilized than the 9:30 pm Lake Shore. No dinner on the Lake Shore - just breakfast and lunch and a horrible arrival time into NYP. If connecting to another train, you have to grab dinner in NYP Station, or the connecting train’s cafe car. On the Capitol Limited you get dinner and an extended breakfast the next morning heading eastbound. If the train is running late into DC, consider buying a sandwich before boarding in Chicago or grab something from the Sightseer Lounge/Cafe before they run out of food.

Lake Shore Limited was always my preferred train to Chicago, but in the past 15 years or so, I’ve opted for the Capitol Limited. Largely due to the schedule and the fact that the Capitol Limited had a better dining program over the Lake Shore, prior to the box meals etc.

Good Luck!
 #1529839  by danib62

It was awesome! Honestly it felt like the time flew. Basically spent the entire time I was awake in the observation car. The views going through the Appalachians were stunning. Check out my album here: https://www.facebook.com/9804941/posts ... 78379/?d=n
 #1529884  by Alphaboi

Great pictures, thanks! I've toyed with the idea of taking the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago instead of flying so I could experience Viewliners and Superliners on the same trip, but I'm not sure I have the budget for it (especially since I'll be traveling solo). Also I just can't stomach the toilet situation the Viewliner Roomettes so mater how hard I try.
 #1572804  by farecard

Took the CL WAS-CLE-WAS.

Outbound was held up outside Alliance for 2+ hours while CSX got a maintainer out of bed & to the site to fix the switch ahead of us. Arrived in CLE after after daybeak, seeing parts of SE Cleveland I hadn't in years.

The return, on Friday 28May, every seat filled, didn't arrive until 3:30 AM, then near Liverpool, a px fell in the restroom and she was extracted by a local EMS squad.

At Connellsville, again the first time I'd seen it in daylight, I noticed two ~3-4ft long pieces within the opposite trackage. They were parallel to the rails, but not close. They were several inches wide, and about that tall.
This was not at a crossing, or a switch. Any enlightenment as to what they are? Some ilk of train detection?
 #1572812  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:17 pm At Connellsville, again the first time I'd seen it in daylight, I noticed two ~3-4ft long pieces within the opposite trackage. They were parallel to the rails, but not close. They were several inches wide, and about that tall.
This was not at a crossing, or a switch. Any enlightenment as to what they are? Some ilk of train detection?
Probably a defect or hotbox detector. They're littered all around CSX territory.
 #1572907  by justalurker66

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:59 amPTC is radio based and is along-side the ROW, not on the track.
I believe there are some systems that use sensors to verify the track the train is on and its position (in addition to GPS). GPS is fairly accurate but one wouldn't want a train to keep jumping between tracks based on a GPS reading.
 #1572923  by farecard

I thought about hotbox detectors but don't they also have sensors outside the track looking inward?
And this was quite near the platform.
 #1572925  by atsf sp

Pieces of what? There are no defect or hotbox detectors at Connellsville. Are you sure they were not by the switches and were the switch heaters? Which end of the platform(North or South)?
 #1609553  by STrRedWolf

Norfolk Southern strikes again. Freight train derailed in Ravena, OH

No hazmats. They're cleaning it up now but Capitol Limited 29(1) was terminated in Pittsburgh and 30(1) is starting in Pittsburgh. No word on today's service.
 #1622938  by farecard

The Capital Limited is getting more limited.

I took #29 WAS-CLE on the 15th, and #30 on the 26th. In both cases, the trains were 90% full, which was a surprise.

When I boarded #29, I found out why. There was one and only coach car. The conductor announced the locked down one behind it was being taken to Chicago for repairs,

On #30, the train was bass-ackwards; the sole coach was first, then the un-dining car, and last the sleepers.

So who stole the rest of the fleet?
 #1622996  by STrRedWolf

Hearing from a few folks that they're also switching the car interiors over to using leather like on the Amfleets, and the lounges are all getting switched over. So while they're doing repairs they're doing a rehab as well.