Railroad Forums 

• Payment for onboard services-cash or credit card?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1542457  by Backshophoss

Just about all commuter ops DO NOT handle cash due to the virus, forcing you to hit the TVM before boarding.
Believe Amtrak has done so as well for tickets,You would think on board services as the lounge bar,cafe cars and the Diner
are cashless for now.
 #1542458  by David Benton

Coins worst than paper money for this virus apparently.
They are pushing paywave as the best contactless option here, with electronic payment already in widespread use . (i would say circa 90 % of all transactions). There are also options such as poli pay, which take you to your own bank website from your phone or comp, and you can see your balances etc , instantly nofities vendor of transfer of funds.
 #1542466  by Arborwayfan

I have fond memories of upgrading to sleeper on board (pre 9-11, when there often was a room available last-minute) and watching the conductor get out a triplicate carbon slip, put my card into it, and rub with the handle of a ticket punch to get the impression. I'm not saying bring it back, but it was an interesting solution.
 #1542478  by NS VIA FAN

Arborwayfan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:19 pm Payments are interesting from country to country. We sign for credit cards even when we do it online. In Europe and S. America.....
Canada also.....I can't remember the last time I had to sign a credit card slip....and now it's mostly just a tap (or proximity) at the terminal and no need to even enter a PIN.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1002908/cana ... nts-study/

VIA Rail went cashless last fall except for the 'Canadian' (probably to appease tourists) and also on a couple of the remote services.

The Amtrak Cafe on the Maple Leaf while in Canada is also cashless.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/o ... ds-payment

(Right now...during Covid…..all passengers are given a complementary snack and bottle water)
 #1542481  by andegold

Obviously, true touchless is where all merchants should be but many are tied in to unconscionable lease agreements for their swipe machines. The larger, immediate problem though, is education. MasterCard, and I believe all other US card processors, have eliminated the need for signatures on their transactions. Unfortunately, nobody has told the merchants this and/or the merchants cling to some idea that they will be protected in a dispute if they can produce the signature.
 #1542890  by troffey

What about any legal requirements? For example, Massachusetts requires anyone conducting a retail transaction to accept cash (under normal circumstances, obviously). I recognize the business case for going cash free, but there's also a precedent for it not to be allowed.
 #1542904  by Tadman

troffey wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:52 pm What about any legal requirements? For example, Massachusetts requires anyone conducting a retail transaction to accept cash (under normal circumstances, obviously). I recognize the business case for going cash free, but there's also a precedent for it not to be allowed.
Most airlines only take card for drinks in they sky. Maybe they wait to get out of Mass airspace?

Mr. Elon Musk has shown recently that state government is not as all-powerful as they think they are. Often these well-intended rules see the exact opposite effect.
 #1542907  by R36 Combine Coach

NS VIA FAN wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:25 am The Amtrak Cafe on the Maple Leaf while in Canada is also cashless.
I know the Amfleet I Cafe is stocked by VIA north of the border with Canadian products, are the selections similar to "Corridor" trains? Does the VIA crew post their own menu inside the Amfleet?
 #1542930  by NS VIA FAN

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:21 pm
NS VIA FAN wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:25 am The Amtrak Cafe on the Maple Leaf while in Canada is also cashless.
I know the Amfleet I Cafe is stocked by VIA north of the border with Canadian products, are the selections similar to "Corridor" trains? Does the VIA crew post their own menu inside the Amfleet?
Here's the Maple Leaf's 'Canadian' Menu......

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/ ... a-econ.pdf

I think Amtrak serves Pepsi products.....but once the Maple Leaf was restocked by VIA at the border.....it was Coke!
 #1542943  by phillyrube

Cash only....funny story. Couple of years ago wife and I took train from Rome to Florence. High speed, very nice. Spent the day there, missed the train to go back. No worries, they run like 6 trains a day. We could have gone to ticket office to swap, but wife was getting panicky. Got on the next return train, talked to conductor, who said it would be 10 euro transfer fee. That went right in his pocket, but he did get us two seats in business class equivalent that included a very nice vino Rosso.

Ahh, Bella Italia.
 #1542951  by Tadman

It's not like there is an outside food ban on the trains. If you don't want to be tracked, you can bring food from 7-11 or a home stash.

I find bringing outside food is far more satisfying anyway. Given the downtown location of many stations and terminals, there is often an above-average restaurant nearby that will give me tasty carryout with all the fixins for the same price as an Amsnack.
 #1542953  by John_Perkowski

Tadman wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am I find bringing outside food is far more satisfying anyway. Given the downtown location of many stations and terminals, there is often an above-average restaurant nearby that will give me tasty carryout with all the fixins for the same price as an Amsnack.
Bingo. Amcraps food is just that. Crap.
 #1542996  by GWoodle

SouthernRailway wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:24 pm On my recent trips, cafe cars have been credit card only. However you still have to use a pen to sign a receipt: that seems to defeat the purpose (avoiding contact) of using credit cards instead of cash.
Need a different CC reader with some touch buttons to add tips, then sign in on the screen?

need CC reader to sign with a stylus instead of a pen? Then get instant copy receipt if you wish?